Search results

1. R

SFP+ cards with ASPM support?

FWIW, I have a QLogic Fastlinq QL-41162 copper version and my AMD system idles in C6 in Windows. Unfortunately I don't have a bootable Linux partition at the moment. I have another of these in an ESXi system and I've no clue how it idles. Next time I fire it up I'll try to remember to check.
  2. R

Favorite recycled "enterprise" mini-tower?

I have a Lenovo S30 that's known to get persnickety when fans are replaced -- even if the wiring is correct. So this is a topic near and dear to me!
  3. R

Everyone's piling-on telling me what crap these things are because they're so non-standard. Trust me, I know. I just want to know if any models in particular are attractive to this group for any reason. That reason may or may not include the ability to transplant parts. I wish I hadn't tacked...
  4. R

"Transplantability" would be nice but it's not the end-goal. It's mostly irrelevant to me. I regret mentioning it now.
  5. R

Do any of the 2015-2017ish enterprise towers (or desktops) stand out from their competition? I'm looking at Lenovo, HP Elitedesk, Dell Optiplex, etc etc. It's clear these companies are benchmarking each other as their offerings are so similar... I'm zeroing-in on LGA1151 (Skylake/Kaby...
  6. R

[Whole Lab] The Almost TinyMiniMicro Lab Running ESXi 8.0.1

ps aux | grep vmtoolsd to check if the daemon is actually running? I recall some kind of issue with the systemd dependency chain not being set up correctly by the open-vm-tools install with certain distros. The virt tools guys were fighting essentially the same problem with systemd not firing...
  7. R

Bhyve vs proxmox

May I bring this dead post back to life? This is my $.02 on what's happening here -- Perhaps it will clarify the discrepancy for someone else who wanders along with this same question. There's different ways to clone a VM: Make a physical copy of every storage block. Straight-up data copy...
  8. R

Poolsman - ZFS Web GUI for Linux based on Cockpit

Hi, poolsman.com is down. Does this project have a new website?
  9. R

HPE ML110 Gen10 - Let's discuss...

It seems like I'd really enjoy owning one of these provided I remain within HPE's walled garden. I just don't know if I'd end up frustrated when it doesn't tolerate being treated like a white-box.
  10. R

HPE ML110 Gen10 - Let's discuss...

Pros: These things are competitively priced vs an equivalent white-box with a HEDT/server board. They sometimes show up as open-box or refurbs for not much more money than the processor alone would cost. They top out at 30db and idle around 45 watts. The case expands to 8x LFF or 16x SFF. If...
  11. R

Consumer SDD in a DL380 Gen8 w/ P420i Controller?

Updating my old post: Crucial MX500 works. It's attached to a P420i in RAID mode and presented as a single drive RAID 0. I have not tried creating a actual array yet. No alerts or fan issues.
  12. R

$300 is a pretty good price for 1.6TB. I was looking at eBay drives earlier today but I was miffed at how many sellers aren't putting up a screenshot of the drive's SMART data. It'd be nice to see life remaining, write TBs, etc.
  13. R

Bumping this for further discussion. Wondering if anyone can provide additional reports on their success with non-HP drives in a Proliant server.
  14. R

In my Google research, I found references to the MX300 working with a P420i/DL380. But I did not try it. I only have experience with the Intel 730. If you try an MX300, please report back. The MX300 is not expensive. =)
  15. R

Update: Intel 730 SSD works, but not in HBA mode (disk passthru). ESXi creates a partition but can't format it for some reason. Put the P420i back into its default mode and the SSD is working perfectly as a single drive RAID 0. ESXi is fully aware that it's an SSD, too. No errors in POST, no...
  16. R

I did some further reading.. It seems that I'll probably be successful with tossing an SSD into one of the sleds provided I choose the correct SSD. Just about anything offered as "enterprise" seems to be fine (Intel DC series is mentioned often) along with the MX300 and certain higher-end Intel...
  17. R

Right.. The drive bays are full. I'd pull 1-2 of the existing drives. I have a spare laptop drive here. I might just try it out and see what happens.
  18. R

My apologies if this is the wrong forum. I wasn't sure about the best place to post this. I have a DL380 Gen8 in my homelab with a P420i RAID controller minus the cache module. It currently has 8x SFF SAS disks. I'm seeing conflicting advice on whether or not I can stick consumer SATA disks...
  19. R

Asus P5E VM DO - Anyone get ESXi 5.5 installed and running?

Fixed. The disks were recycled from a SAN. Something on there was confusing ESXi. A "diskpart clean" wasn't enough -- I had to long format the disks. This board seems to work fine with 5.5 -- No driver injection necessary.
  20. R

Asus P5E VM DO - Anyone get ESXi 5.5 installed and running?

This Q35 desktop board was "known good" back in the ESX4 days. Has anyone gotten ESX 5.5 up and running on it? I'm tinkering with it now and no luck so far. Installer is hanging at "vmkibft loading..."