Search results

1. S

QNAP TBS-h574TX Reivew E1.S and M.2 Thunderbolt 10GbE NAS

I know someone that wants a Thunderbolt-attached device that supports multiple M.2 drives. Can this be used like a DAS over the Thunderbolt port?
  2. S

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

The VDX 6740 data sheet says the 6740T has a maximum power usage of 460 W while the SFP+ version, the 6740, has a maximum power usage of 110 W. The nominal airflow of the 6740T is higher than the maximum airflow of the 6740. I don't personally dislike them; it was someone else's budget that...
  3. S

CentOS 8 to be discontinued at end of 2021

I'm biased since we use this at work, but SLE and openSUSE Leap are moving to a RHEL/CentOS relationship. Leap right now is built on SLE and the next release will share the exact same packages between the two where possible, not even a rebuild needed. The downside is SLE upgrades some packages...
  4. S

Dell EMC PowerEdge C6525 Review 2U4N AMD EPYC Kilo-thread Server

As someone that has used both kiloseconds and kilofeet in conversation, I approve of this title.
  5. S

I've never used the 7x50 series, but I have successfully cross-compiled something (strace) for the 6450. I used musl-cross-make and tried to match the kernel a closely as possible with 2.6.35. There were some issues with the kernel uapi assuming glibc that had to be patched. After booting with...
  6. S

Supermicro Motherboards and ipmitool

Resurrecting this from last year because I had the same problem yesterday. The BMC would respond with a packet but nothing else remotely. ipmitool -vv -I lan -L USER -H BMCHOST -U metrics -E chassis power status Sending IPMI/RMCP presence ping packet Received IPMI/RMCP response packet: IPMI...
  7. S

I am intrigued, but I don't think work will let me have them for a home lab. I'll have to schedule a flight for some dumpster diving when we decommission them.
  8. S

6450-24p with 8030s. I'll try again with a 48p tonight. Until the second attempt, it's hard for me to confirm exactly what happened. The scrollback looks right, but that only covers echoed characters.
  9. S

I tried the "dd temp-fanspeed" command with "?" and tab to see if FastIron had anything. I wasn't expecting anything, only curious. It didn't and instead I had to go physically reset the switch. The smart thing would have been to try on a switch I wasn't actively using, oh well.
  10. S

AWS Graviton2 64 vCPU Arm CPU Heightens War of Intel Betrayal

Exactly what they are doing. The performance improvements quoted were compared to the M5 instances, not A1. M5 is quoted as "up to 3.1 GHz Intel Xeon® Platinum 8175" and these new processors are the first M6 instances announced. If they're competitive with Skylake Xeons, I wonder if all of...
  11. S

pfSense on Physical Switch

In addition to the ASIC APIs is the Linux kernel's switchdev. That allows the kernel to offload L2 and L3 (and only those, note no mentions of protocols higher in the stack) to a switch ASIC. This would probably get you the closest to what you want, but the L4+ routing still has to happen on the...
  12. S

My read was that it's the computer running minicom. A sdX device would be from SATA while the 6450, and I assume 6430, boot off the initramfs and mount /dev/mtdblock3 to /fast_iron.
  13. S

Second longest thread by replies on the site. Another 415 or so replies to take over the E5-2670 thread.
  14. S

URL Shortener Software

I did a quick check from the app and it includes the t.co URL shortener as a referrer.
  15. S

It's been answered extensively. Search for more details but if it fits, it'll work in the 6450.
  16. S

Nice. I checked the patch files but they're big and I missed anything obvious. I now see the pp_init_enable and hilariously a comment about hiding the diag commands. I defer to fohdeesha but for me, the other models using u-boot and Linux means Arris has to release their modifications. It's...
  17. S

I checked their source and it appears in the patch file for the 6650 and 7250 but not the 6450 or 7650.
  18. S

I got a 6450-48P from them back in August that worked fine. It however came from Brocade's lab and it now appears I got pretty lucky.
  19. S

Help with Systemd and virtualbox vm

Sounds like an timing issue. There is nothing in the service file to indicate when it should start so systemd might run it very early in the boot. Add some After or Wants to the Unit section. I would at least have it start after the network is fully up (add network.target to After).
  20. S

supermicro X11 ipmi ssl and java kvm annoyances

I can't comment on the Windows certificate stores, but it's common for the server to send its certificate and the intermediate. This site does that. First is the certificate for forums.servethehome.com and then Let's Encrypt's X3 intermediate.