Search results

1. C

Create Domain for kid's schoolwork? A Covid Problem

You can do this with netsh Here is more detail: https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/hide-neighborhood-wifi-ssid-computer/
  2. C

Building a Lab Part 3 Configuring VMWare ESXI and TrueNAS Core

Thanks Nick, I think if the purpose was : here's a hands on experience where you can learn about esx cluster with shared storage, then great. I was worried somebody might copy this for their small office setup, and get into trouble later on. In article 1, you mentioned ad and DNS as the use...
  3. C

Building a Lab Part 3 Configuring VMWare ESXI and TrueNAS Core

I find this series a bit confusing, to be honest. There was very little statement of requirements (how many VM's, how much storage, ram/CPU, availability, usage), then we have started to build a cluster with a single storage node as a single point of failure. At this point, true nas updates...
  4. C

2002 power on hours, 112mb written

2002 hours, or days? 2000 hours is less than 3 months
  5. C

Direction for pfSense with ICX6610 and Unifi - how to DHCP and DNS

Maybe I missed it, what are you using the vlans for, and are all clients wireless? Do you need to firewall traffic between the vlans? What about between the vlans and the internet, what restrictions or reporting do you need? There are pros and cons to having routing in the switch and in...
  6. C

Direction for pfSense with ICX6610 and Unifi - how to DHCP and DNS

I made a new vlan on pfsense last week, as part of an exercise to give my daughter her own wifi network using 1.1.1.3 dns. (Actually an IoT network for any in home devices I don't trust) No reboot needed (for me), but when adding the vlan, the firewall ruleset is empty. I couldn't even connect...
  7. C

NVMe M.2 SSDs in U.2 enclosure

Some U2 units are rated for higher speed than M2 of the same variety. I think heat was the reason for this
  8. C

New QNAP 10GbE SMB Switches at Computex 2019

I'll take one with the combo port please, this is great for me at home, exactly what I've been waiting for. I'll need 2 Poe injectors, but it's a small price to pay for a fan-less switch. I hope the price is right.
  9. C

Kodi and Hyper-V

Sorry that wasn't worded well at all. What I meant, is anybody running running virtual machines on the same host as doing media duties on a tv/projector.
  10. C

Kodi and Hyper-V

Anybody else running VM's in their lounge room?
  11. C

Kodi and Hyper-V

Thanks for all the replies and they are valid for a RPI replacement. I may still go that path, but the idea of a second/backup hyperv server that I can run a few windows/Linux/bsd vm's is still something I might explore.
  12. C

Kodi and Hyper-V

Kodi and hyper v - a Strange mix of software, I agree. Here's the scenario. I have a micro Xeon server, running Hyper-V server, domain controllers, wsus, couch potato, sabnzb, unifi, FreeNAS (build in progress), blue iris (2019 sometime..) and some other small things. No problem with this...
  13. C

Looking for fanless web-managed 24-port 1GbE switch with 2 SFP+ uplinks

The 24 port is sfp only, not sfp+ You get SFP+ on the UniFi Switch 48
  14. C

What hardware have you used to build your own router?

I use a apu2c4 from pcengines for home and 2 other sites i manage. They have all been rock solid for a few years now. Cheap, silent, new, Intel NICs - ticks all my boxes
  15. C

Supermicro e300-8d low noise cooling upgrade & remove passive heatsink

I got the e300-9d and it's also loud. I'm thinking about finding a bigger case to use bigger fans, to try and reduce the volume. Please post back here anything you try and how it works out !
  16. C

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I'm late to the conversion here on pfsense and vlans, but wanted to add quickly: I use pfsense to route between my vlans, mostly because that's where I want to control the security. I have a DMZ with a reverse proxy. So incoming internet facing traffic is: Wan, Pfsense DMZ-vlan interface...
  17. C

nexus 3000 vlan

Do you have any access lists assigned on the switch at all?
  18. C

Reverse proxy - hosting web app locally

If you just want to access your nas remotely, then I think a VPN is a better option than reverse proxy. Some nas units have vpn servers available. I run both for different reasons, and the reverse proxy is a seperate machine behind a firewall. Not a trivial setup.