Search results

1. N

Home NAS Rebuild -- Supermicro X8 Based

Importation sucks unless you have channels to send it through. I have been really lucky with my build and looking at some X5600 series cpu's for around 80 bucks as an upgrade to my E5640's. Then it would be either 8GB or 16GB sticks of ram to swap into the beast and kick the twelve 4GB sticks...
  2. N

Who still mining?

New to the forum but been mining for a couple years. Started off with a RX480 I got from some Christmas cash on Zcash and was able to buy a MoBo, CPU and RAM using the proceeds. Was working a little bit and with the last paycheck I bought a GTX1080 for about 519. Kept mining with that mainly...
  3. N

Home NAS Rebuild -- Supermicro X8 Based

Well it depends on how much you want to change but I have a similar system to the NAS and use FreeNAS to do a lot of the same things. My system is: X8dt6-F Dual Xeon E6540 48GB of DDR3 7 x 4tb HGST In a ZFS raidZ3 as I will eventually be expanding to multiple vDev's Chenbro NR40700 case...
  4. N

Need advice on Massive New Plex server

The issue of not having redundancy is the rebuild of the material on to the server. Say a two hour movie takes 1 hour to rip and put into the desired format/quality. That is typical with an octocore CPU like an fx8350 and that requires the use of lets say around 250 watts (probably on the low...
  5. N

WD Blue drives and the Load Cycle count issue

Yeah I understand. I partly bought a drive just to see if I could make this work and the IO of listing the contents is minuscule so it has not been an issue. Plus using it to store data temporarily before I transfer to a pool isn't much different than what I would do on a desktop but the...
  6. N

The newer blue drives are not compatible with WDidle3 so likely will not work with any other tools either. Wdidle3 not working on new BLUE drives ;-( Any help? WD is basically forcing drives to be used in particular situations only even though the basic hardware is the same or similar they can...
  7. N

So I have a FreeNAS system with HGST NAS drives setup in a RaidZ3 and it has worked well for the most part. However transfers between datasets on the pool are atrocious so some of the data I have on the pool that needs to be written and then moved is a PAIN to deal with often dropping to less...