Search results

1. L

automotive 1000baseT1/100baseT1 connection/converters?

I'm looking for a cost effective way to connect to some devices with 100baseT1 and 1000baset1 automotive ethernet. Having hard time locating media converters except for expensive test equipment. Any low cost alternatives, even a bit on the hackerish side, to connect a standard PC/laptop to an...
  2. L

NVLink compatibility

Yeah forgot about the 5000. It is a different animal.
  3. L

NVLink compatibility

I've used the Quadro RTX and Geforce RTX NVlink bridges on both Quadro and RTX cards. Different color plastic, and there is a 2-slot spacing Quadro link. (cards next to each other). (Turing generation).
  4. L

Memory support on X99 (2011-3) motherboards with Xeon E5v4

Yeah, I've got dozens of ECC RDIMMs from Flea-Bay and what not. I've found it pretty easy to buy 8-sticks of used quality server memory, all from the same production lots. I have some 2400 that originally went into a E5-v3 that only ran at 2133. Buying a little faster than you need makes a bit...
  5. L

Memory support on X99 (2011-3) motherboards with Xeon E5v4

You should look at your board's QVL closely. I use Asus X99 workstation boards with Xeon E5-V4 processors. They will boot and run with non-ECC memory. But, why bother? A set of used, ECC RDIMM server memory is usually less expensive and you can usually buy enough of the same part number to...
  6. L

3090 driver handicap?

Doesn’t surprise me much. They really like playing the “market segmentation game” here in Silicon Valley.
  7. L

3090 driver handicap?

Wow, the SuperMicro 2124GQ-NART system manual is pretty confusing about which GPU is mapped to what CPU. They're numbered differently in IPMI and Linux. It would take a while to sort out NUMA and processor affinity. Honestly, I don't know much about AMD, since I'm bottom feeding on last...
  8. L

Interesting card on flea-bay...

These don't turn up in the wild at all, and as far as I know, have never been sold on their own. It is a "Tesla" V100 card, with liquid cooling and display ports. This card was used in the DGX-Station exclusively. Not sure what anyone could do with it, as the other completely proprietary part...
  9. L

A100 poor performance?

I think that's probably right, especially in a single context and the images are relatively small. I don't have A100's at all though. The A100's would likely scale better for bigger, more parallel jobs, especially for the training side.
  10. L

LGA 2011-3 Upgrade Path?

Well, it really depends on what you want to do with it. :) Systems engineering is always more complicated than buying parts and putting them together. Nothing wrong with a killer gaming rig, if you want to game. There's good call for some professional systems, like SolidWorks, to go with a...
  11. L

LGA 2011-3 Upgrade Path?

Well, you know, those lanes can get used up pretty quick with big GPU's, 10gb, 25gb or even 100gb networking and lots of NVMe storage. It just sort of depends on what you need to do with it. AMD has really come along on all fronts.
  12. L

LGA 2011-3 Upgrade Path?

Well, the i9-10900k (Comet Lake) 10c/20t, only has 16 PCIe lanes, and lacks ECC support, is built on 14nm process node and has a spec-sheet 125w TDP (which is basically fiction - read the many reviews about how hot it runs...). Intel has been stuck at 14nm process node since Broadwell (the...
  13. L

LGA 2011-3 Upgrade Path?

I think Intel peaked with the Broadwell EP (Xeon E5-v4). With many servers being pulled now, there's a lot of cheap used parts on the market, which are hard to beat in reality. If you need lots of cores, E5-2696 v4 or 2699v4 are super cheap and nice, reliable stable parts. I'm running a few...
  14. L

3090 driver handicap?

Mine is in a Corsair Carbide 540-Air case. Oldie, but goodie. Double-chambered as you noted. PSU and a bunch of drive cages on the other side of the case. Yeah, I think Intel peaked at the Broadwell EP (Xeon E5-V4 family) and the X99 chipset that could do double-duty as either a Core i7 or Xeon...
  15. L

3090 driver handicap?

It is a workstation and doesn't run GPU loads 24x7. The fans ramp up to the heat load as needed, automatically. Some of my workloads are CPU based too. Automatically managed fans are much better for a lot of reasons. The GPU backplates don't really cool all that much. Never found any advantage...
  16. L

3090 driver handicap?

On the RTX Titan, I see power limit throttling before thermal throttling most of the time. This is one of mine. It's a Asus X99 WS-E motherboard, Xeon E5-2689v4, 128gb RAM, 2 RTX Titans, ConnectX5 25gb ethernet card in it. The Noctua cooler is super quiet and even under a full-power...
  17. L

3090 driver handicap?

I have not put hands upon a 3090 blower style card, or any 3090 at this point. I'd buy one if I could find one. My comments about board partners is historical across the last few generations.
  18. L

3090 driver handicap?

Yes, of course. :) What makes you think I haven't? I think there are two markets for today's blower cards: Gamers building in small form factor cases and the "pro-sumer" and entry-level pro. When I was running 1080ti's (all blower cards of course back then), the 4-way configuration was more...
  19. L

3090 driver handicap?

I've certainly setup workstation with 4x GPU. I used the same Mobo that Nvidia did in their DGX series workstations to build them. I even use the same EVGA 1600W power supply. (Corsair Carbide 540 case is excellent for this by the way) I used the Titan V in that 4x format as well. However, not...
  20. L

3090 driver handicap?

You can (and in many cases should) use the nvidia-smi tool to set a power or clock limit to lower the power cap for the cards. While this reduces performance, it reduces heat and tends to increase reliability. The "pro" cards (Quadro) have lower power and thermal caps in firmware than the game...