Search results

1. Z

UTM / pfsense - ESXi test box..?

Wow, that's a pretty serious upgrade to Atom. Thanks again. This looks like a great chip and specifically that board as well.
  2. Z

Thank you for your detailed reply! Checking out that board in the review on here now. Missed that one! Probably my only reservation of an Atom would be my own playing around, and the potential of moving a heavier VM from a different ESXi box over to this one (by way of moving the datastore...
  3. Z

Finally taking some time to jump out of standard routers and into the UTM / pfsense+ELK world. This would be a mini-ITX build for the dual purpose of having a more powerful firewall / UTM type appliance with the ability to flip between VMs with different solutions for the fun of being...
  4. Z

Anyone ever use a half rack?

I'm curious about the half-racks out there (mostly in the AV world it seems) compared to a full width. Being somewhat limited on space, and having all half-width devices (router, modem, Dell X1026, Unifi Toughswitches), in theory it would seem like I could save some space and make everything...
  5. Z

Moving from traditional router to IDS / IPS / UTM... suggestions?

Currently using an Edgerouter PoE. It has a decent interface and nice "traffic analysis" tab for monitoring LAN devices and their internet usage, but the firewall feature has a real lack of reporting. I'm looking for something that shows both the wan side of the router, to see who's knocking...
  6. Z

X10SDV-TLN4F, ESXi 6, and i350-AM2 NICs: No Network Adapters

Noticed the same here, with the memory voltage. It shows at 1.19 in ESXi but 1.2v in ipmi. This might be a dumb question, but does anyone know a way to check the status on speedstep in ESXi? It's set to "balanced" for the host, but I'm curious to see real numbers or know that the extra speed...
  7. Z

Wow... well I really hope this helps someone else out there. o_O As it turns out..... the NIC lights weren't even on at all. Hadn't noticed that for the last 2 hours. The jumper on the motherboard located at JPL1 (near the rear USB ports) is in charge of enabling LAN1 / LAN2. Even though...
  8. Z

After much nail biting, finally received this board with high hopes. Honestly didn't expect to get sidelined on the regular 1G NICs. ESXi install fails with "No Network Adapters." Googling around, it appears there are some others with a similar issue. Things tried: -both versions; 6.0, 6.0U1...
  9. Z

Router selection... USG? Edgerouter? Consumer-grade? What are you all using?

Thanks for all of the replies! Looks like quite a few VMs with pfsense and similar. The main reason I was trying to stay away from this setup is my constant reconfigurations and playing with hardware (on the ESXi machine), I didn't want the network going up and down. Finally got Traffic...
  10. Z

...aaand, it's not recording traffic. There's nothing custom, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. Loaded the WAN+2LAN2 template and go.
  11. Z

Downloading v1.7.0rc1 now... looks promising for the traffic analysis part!
  12. Z

Need help finding the right piece to tie all this together... and am curious what you all use. A little background, simple home network: -Motorola Surfboard 6121 with Comcast ~120 down -Misc routers (see below) -VMware host with 5-10 active VMs at any given time (ubuntu, win8, 10...
  13. Z

Can't shut down ESXi 5.5 host fully

Small update... after the server running for weeks, I randomly checked the performance chart for the host and found ~35% CPU usage with VMs doing nothing. It wasn't locked to one core in particular but distributed across all 4/8 (core/threads) to equal that ~35%. It appears there is another...
  14. Z

Latest update as of 3/7, the new BIOS on the Asus site, 1101 that was released yesterday for the P9D-E/4L along with the latest firmware, 1.09 for the ASMB-7 seem to be working. With IPMI re-enabled in ESXi 5.5, it seems to start up and shut down properly.
  15. Z

Just to reiterate, following the steps to disable the VMkernel.Boot.ipmiEnabled value does allow me to shut the host completely down as expected. This, combined with the CyberPower appliance has things working perfectly. 60 minutes after the power goes out, the VMs shut down in succession...
  16. Z

Actually made some headway on this and can shut down now. Turns out, there's a flaw in ESXi. Specifically, a driver for IPMI built in that locks one core of the CPU up. Stumbled on this, of all places, on an Amazon review of another product. For what it's worth, I'm also running the latest...
  17. Z

USB Passthrough RocketU 1142A, ESXi 5.5 u2

I have this card, with 2 external rear USB 3 ports and an internal header for 2 front panel USB 3 ports. Was hoping to use it for some plain ole' USB ports on a VM. Didn't seem that complicated, at all really. Especially with the LSI cards providing a ton of SATA hot swap ports. Seemed like...
  18. Z

Weird behavior in VM with SSD as datastore.

Default format for 5.5. No passthrough. A second VM on the same datastore does not appear to be having the same issue. I'm not sure it's a datastore issue afterall, though something does appear to be causing an issue with writes.
  19. Z

Thick, eager zeroed. I'm actually at a loss now because, with Windows 10 Enterprise Preview out, just loaded up a VM on the same SSD datastore, side by side with the original (Win8) and was able to install Acronis there with no issue. :confused:
  20. Z

Here's a screenshot of the files in mid-install, when it hangs. Similar to what's created when iTunes tries to write library files on exit or changes.