Search results

1. S

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

this makes perfect sense! Thank you @kpfleming!
  2. S

you've sort of lost me there. Thanks for the input! but can you elaborate on how to determine if the traffic in the 6450 needs to be routed there?
  3. S

What's best practice for "daisy-chaining" switches if I can't stack them, in terms of ACLs and VLANs? I have a main ICX 6610 switch with all my VLANs and ACLs set up. There is a 10Gbe link to a ICX6450 in my office 3 floors up. I have VLAN10, 20, 40 and 90 which I send through the 10Gbe link...
  4. S

Seems to be working well now. HA piholes/DHCP/unbound DNS with keepalived VIP. 6610 iphelper is pointed only to the VIP address and there are no other hosts in the small subnet that the piholes are in. Tested failover and worked well. Thanks for the help, all!
  5. S

Thanks @fohdeesha Jon, if I wasn't so fixated on having an integrated interface between pihole DNS and DHCP I would have gone down this road for sure. Looked into building kea DHCP for raspi and it was not straightforward (for me) either.. I don't want to depend on a VM for this. If...
  6. S

@kpfleming thanks! Trialing it right now. Got one Rpi and VIP setup. Ip helper pointed only to the VIP. Second one will be proof of the pudding later this week. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all the help!
  7. S

@kpfleming thanks for this valuable nugget. I've been trying to understand the underpinnings of this, and went and learned a bit more about how DHCP is performed. As DHCPREQUEST is being broadcast (I assume across only the level 2 subnet and not further unless we enable some form of multicast...
  8. S

@kpfleming My understanding is that if you supply two DNS addresses, if the first is down, it will take some timeout period before it tries the second? So it is not a seamless failover? Better to have a VIP through VRRP that is the single failsafe no?
  9. S

@LodeRunner I have pihole and DHCP (dnsmasq) on the same pi. So only 2pi not 4pi lol. I did look into using ISC DHCP. The downside of ISC DHCP is that pihole does not resolve hostnames automatically if you use ISC DHCP (is what I read). If you use the built in dnsmasq for DHCP it will. I know...
  10. S

Additional question for the gurus here. I'm planning to do HA failover with the raspberry pi's that run piHole/DHCP using keepalived, which uses VRRP for failover between a VIP and 2 actual IPs for each RPi pair. Is the VRRP implementation as detailed here: GitHub - matayto/pihole-keepalived...
  11. S

i was trying to get my Sonos devices working with controller and Sonos devices in different VLANs. this is on a ICX-6610 with interVLAN routing done on the switch, and pfsense for FW only. There are a bunch of guide floating out there which are not specific for the Brocade. at first I tried...
  12. S

Well, I figured out 2) myself. Stupid mistake of course - should just have tagged all the vlans and not used dual-mode for the "uplink". Also, forgot to assign IPs on the vifs. But still have no idea how to do 1). Would be nice to connect 2 10G ports in a "ring" topology stack btw 6610 - 6450...
  13. S

Hi all, thanks for the accumulated wealth of information. Have had a ICX6610 and a couple of ICX6450s for a while now but just started to use the L3 features. I've gotten VLANs and inter-VLAN routing on the ICX6610 up and running, with pfSense only serving firewall duties. DHCP/DNS is via a...
  14. S

Layer 3 Switch w/ PFSense

Never mind, I'm an idiot. just figured it out, just remembered that I could use the vif IPs to access the brocade switch on any of my VLANs. Same thing here, realized that i just needed to use the corresponding pfsense interface IP on the TRANSIT network as the pfsense GUI! All fixed :)
  15. S

Layer 3 Switch w/ PFSense

Thank you all for sharing your expertise, especially @kapone! Following all these guides and posts I managed to get L3 inter-VLAN routing on my ICX-6610 working well, with pfSense only serving firewall duties. DHCP/DNS to all subnets handled by piHole (dnsmasq) which seems to work well while...
  16. S

Question for all the networking experts like @kapone : any reason why i couldn’t use pfsense as the dedicated firewall with pihole on a rpi4 doing DNS and DHCP for several VLANs, using the 6610 to do all the layer 3 routing? My understanding is that pihole 5 does serve DHCP to non-connected...
  17. S

I went back and looked at the full guide fohdeesha sent me. Somehow did not see this in the publicly available guide on his site, but voila, here it is on how exactly to do it without the whole serial thing. From fohdeesha: NOTE: If this switch has already been set up and configured with an IP...
  18. S

Thanks @Vesalius and @Jason Antes ! @Vesalius any tricks to doing it via SSH? Did you upgrade the boot loader as well? I assume you can just otherwise follow fohdeesha’s guide.
  19. S

Hi all! Been enjoying my 6610 and 6450 for 2 years now. Rock solid and just upgrading to 40Gbe on the rear ports. one question which I can seem to find the answer to: is anyone able to upgrade 6610 firmware without using the isolated management port and a usb (serial) cable? Ie can it be done...
  20. S

You were totally right! Your guide helped me spot the last one nestled btw the AUX connectors. Thank you! I’m an idiot.