Search results

1. S

The HP tx4x-series thin clients are coming...

meh. the only reason these were any good is because they were cheap on the off-lease secondhand market. the 620 was the sweet spot where the 730 was always overpriced even at its lowest. frankly i'm disappointed with ryzen apu's offerings after the 1st generation. they are just much too little...
  2. S

Some information about HP T620 Plus Flexible Thin Client machines for network appliance builds...

It would pain me to see someone go down this route today. The prices of the HP units were extremely low back then, DDR4 prices were very high, and I believe the ryzen 2200G hadn't yet come out. All of that has now changed. Much better to get a microATX or miniITX AM4 board and have a solid...
  3. S

New QNAP 10GbE SMB Switches at Computex 2019

is the SFP+ port the only one that supports 2.5GbE and 5GbE?
  4. S

AMD Ryzen Embedded R1000 Family Launched

*sigh* when will this 10Gb ethernet meme end
  5. S

Some information about HP T620 Plus Flexible Thin Client machines for network appliance builds...

For those running pf/opn sense, what does your configuration look like? built-in NIC for WAN and Intel add-in card for LAN? btw @BLinux why did you want to avoid the m.2 ssd? do these router OS not properly provision SSDs and kill them with r/w?
  6. S

(Update 04-25) DFI DT122 (AMD RX-427BB) Industrial ITX T730-a-like; $99 shipped w/ 8GB

I've read about this before but I didn't really understand it. Can you explain a little more
  7. S

Budget HTPC build, for $300 how does this look?

Thanks everyone. I opted for an HP mini for a few reasons. The Shield is a great piece of hardware, but I'm trying to get more comfortable with Linux. ok you win the thread lol
  8. S

HP T730 8GB RAM 32GB Storage Thin Client

without PCI-E those are fairly bad deals no matter the purpose. no PCI-E = no >gigabit networking capability, which makes for a bad VM host (as I understand it) no PCI-E also means you are limited to whatever Ryzen APUs come on down the line. I'd much rather invest in something slightly...
  9. S

Budget HTPC build, for $300 how does this look?

I'm looking to build a relatively compact, quiet, low power PC. I don't have a set budget but cheaper is always better. I have explored some used off the shelf options like Optiplex and Thinkcentre, but from what I can tell for the same amount of money those sacrifice H.265 hardware decoding for...
  10. S

Advanced Guide to ZFS on Linux?

thanks everyone I really appreciate the help!
  11. S

Darn. I suppose it was wishful thinking, hoping power draw would be more important than it is ;)
  12. S

it won't, HEVC / h.265 is UVD 6 and up Unified Video Decoder - Wikipedia t730 but there's gotta be better options that support a 3.5" internal drive I just haven't had time to look.
  13. S

Maybe these will finally get updated now that AMD announced new goodies. Of course, new = DDR4 = $$$$$$$
  14. S

I'm actually considering one of these + an external HDD as a little Plex server. Passmark score is quite good so it should handle burning subtitles just fine.
  15. S

The NUC based home lab

may i present to you... Ikea Lack Rack LackRack - Eth0Wiki
  16. S

Advanced Guide to ZFS on Linux?

I currently have a software RAID10 array using mdadm on Debian Stretch. It stores media files like family pictures, home videos, etc. I had originally written off ZFS due to excessive hardware (RAM) requirements, but I read that it doesn't actually require all that much RAM if you're not using...
  17. S

10% Ebay Bucks - Valid thru 12/27

try disabling and then re-enabling email promos for a lot of these ebay promos you have to sign up for their spam crap. i just filter them out as slickdeals always lets me know when one is running ;)
  18. S

Tile 4 Pack 39.99 at Staples

Had no idea they came out with new models! I'm glad they made those changes.
  19. S

My new low wattage homelab esxi build

great build! looking to do something similar soon hopefully
  20. S

Tile 4 Pack 39.99 at Staples

These are great for older parents! Also nice to keep on those fancy $250 car keys. I hate Tile's subscription model which needlessly encourages e-waste, but unfortunately the competitors with replaceable batteries are downright terrible. Also, it makes sense for it to be sealed off from the...