Search results

1. A

Does a 6+ 1gbit & 4x SPF+ 10gbit & fanless & SNMP switch exist?

Like the title says. I have a PowerConnect 6248 switch (48 1gbit ports and 4 10g uplinks) that I've pulled the 40mm fans and replaced with a single 140mm fan. I like the switch and am looking for a smaller version of it for my home office. I'd love to be able to connect a LAG from my office to...
  2. A

Is the difference between 3gbps and 6gbps (or 8 or 12) disk throughput really significant?

I have an old SmartArray P410 to which are connected eight Seagate Terascale 4TB HDDs at 3gbps. I'm thinking of buying a P430 to get my disks connected at 6gbps but the question remains: How big of a deal is 6bgps? It's like home networking: there is the 2.5gbps wireless standard and...
  3. A

SSD version of Supermicro 5-in-3 JBOD enclosure?

I have a pair of this enclosure and I'm currently using adapters to mount ten 2.5" SSDs into 3.5" drive bays. Does anyone know if there exists a higher density version of these enclosures purpose built for 2.5" disks?
  4. A

Supermicro IPMI - pingable, flashable, HTTP/HTTPS not accessible

I have a Supermicro X9SRL-F motherboard on which the IPMI isn't working properly. When I got the board I went into the BIOS and changed the IP address to static and it shows as 192.168.x.y. The IP address is pingable but I cannot point a browser to it. IPMIView 2.21.0 detects it and I can add...
  5. A

"IIO 1 PCIe Port Bifurcation Control" greyed out - X9SRL-F motherboard

I have purchased a two-port NVMe PCIe adapter and I'm trying to get my Supermicro X9SRL-F motherboard to recognize it. I'm trying to turn on bifurcation on the slot but the ""IIO 1 PCIe Port Bifurcation Control" option I'm supposed to access is black and not selectable. Is this setting...
  6. A

Does an 8+ slot PCIe 4x motherboard exist?

I recently came across an article about VyOS and now I am intrigued about building my own router/firewall, but the port count on my existing switches is rather high. I plan on populating a motherboard with dual-port 10g fiber HBAs and 4-port 1gig copper NICs. I've seen plenty of mining...
  7. A

Latest cheap hardware option for vmware 6.7+ ?

I am running a home cluster based on the Supermicro X8DTE-F board and I love this board: Plenty of expansion slots, remote management IPMI, dual CPU, plenty of RAM slots to populate it on the cheap. A dual CPU, 64GB RAM combo can be put together on eBay for around $200, which I love the most...
  8. A

Formatting partitions and reinstalling OS on Force10 S4810P?

I bought a Force 10 S4810P off of eBay it it generally works fine for my 10g fiber network. However, if I turn on more than a couple of SNMP libraries it becomes unstable and crashes. In troubleshooting via console cable a message pops up that a device partition has become corrupted and that I...
  9. A

FS: 10gig Ethernet switch + Mellanox HBAs + cables

I'm trying to get rid of some extra kit: Fujitsu 10gig switch plus 5 Mellanox HBAs plus cables - eBay This stuff was my storage network for a while, serving up FreeNAS storage to an ESX 5.5 cluster and a pair of SQL Servers running on Windows 2016. Fujitsu XG2000C switch 5 Mellanox ConnectX...
  10. A

10gig Ethernet switch + Mellanox HBAs + cables

I'm trying to get rid of some extra kit: Fujitsu 10gig switch plus 5 Mellanox HBAs plus cables - eBay This stuff was my storage network for a while, serving up FreeNAS storage to an ESX 5.5 cluster and a pair of SQL Servers running on Windows 2016. Fujitsu XG2000C switch 5 Mellanox ConnectX...
  11. A

10gig SFP+ switch ports for less than $100?

I am currently using four ConnectX-2 cards connected to a Dell PowerConnect 6248 switch via SFP+ ports and I would like to add more hosts as cheaply as possible. While I could always buy another 6248 off of eBay for ~$60, it seems inefficient to add a new device for 3 additional ports. Are...
  12. A

Infiniband HBA ports show as "cable unplugged" in Windows 2016?

I am setting up a new IB storage network for my home lab and I need help establishing a connection with my Windows Server 2016 box. The hardware is: HP DL180 G6 server with Windows Server 2016 x64 HP Infiniband 4X DDR Connect-X PCI-e Dual Port HBA Infiniband SFF-8740 cable Topspin 120 24-port...
  13. A

My personal home lab (with pics)

New to the forums so I decided to start an ongoing thread describing some of my gear and projects. Recently I came into a bunch of hardware due to an office closure. I was given the task of shutting down and then e-wasting all of the gear, so I e-wasted some of it into the trunk of my car...
  14. A

Doing switched Infiniband on the cheap?

Hey Y'all, I've recently found this site and it's great to see a bunch of gear junkies doing crazy things with cool kit in their homes! I've recently become enamored with Infiniband and am looking to replace my 1gig iSCSI network with Infiniband to become familiar with the technology. No...