Search results

1. N

Recommend: 10GbE, L2+/L3 switch. VLAN ACLs

I haven't bought anything yet, but I've been thinking about it. The initial cost of entry is higher when you don't have any 10gbit ethernet cards, optics, or cabling, so if I'm going to go down this road, i need to figure out costs and justify it to the wife. :) Appreciate the feedback, and...
  2. N

Recommend: 10GbE, L2+/L3 switch. VLAN ACLs

What do you guys use for the 10gbit optics? Or do you just use the SFP+ cabling between your ethernet card and the switch? I'm thinking of taking the plunge, but i would need to buy 4x 10gbit cards and am not sure the most inexpensive way to do it. 2 systems would be like 2ft away from the...
  3. N

Server 2012 R2, Storage Spaces and Tiering

Vid showing deployment of a fixed size vhdx 200gb in NTFS taking 6min to provision, versus instantaneously in ReFS in server 2016 - Windows Server 2016 - ReFS Performance Demo (Channel 9)
  4. N

Yeah, i've heard really good things about ReFS in 2016, but haven't tried yet. Unfortunately, i won't be able to with any big storage box, so it'll just be small scale testing 2016 features on one c6100 blade. I have two main storage boxes, one running FreeNAS (BSD's ZFS) and one running Oracle...
  5. N

For those that've tried it in 2016, did you guys do ReFS or stay with NTFS?
  6. N

Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Yeah, it's just an Intel ICH10 inside, so those benchmarks can be referred to. Or if you have the LSI riser, it's an LSI1608 i think? I'd have to double check - Figure the system is 7+years old, so don't expect anything astronomical.
  7. N

So i finally gave this a shot in a modern OS, cause one of my blades isn't POSTing anymore, and of course it doesn't work. I even enabled every checkbox under the cipher tab. I'll just need to keep an old server2008r2 VM going everywhere if i ever need to use the IPMI on the c6100.
  8. N

What was your configuration of your storage pool in columns, raid type, etc? Performance looks very nice!
  9. N

More people should be trying to do this, because that 512bit certificate is nearly impossible to hit with any modern OS and web browser. I am going to have to build an older linux VM to see if that will work better for me to access the IPMI. Check out this post on stackoverflow at the end of...
  10. N

Oracle Solaris 11.3 beta

Did you follow these instructions when copying the drivers over? Solaris 11.1 / ZFS with LSI 2308 - Figment
  11. N

Solaris 11.2/11.3 with NAPP-IT Or Solaris 11.2/11.3

Few of us are running 11.3 beta in this thread - https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/oracle-solaris-11-3-beta.6323/ We figured out how to get napp-it to install, and outline how in that thread.
  12. N

Oracle Solaris 11.3 beta

Excellent to hear that it worked for you as well. I have contributed a bit to the napp-it project relating to fiber channel stuff, since i decided to buy one to learn on at home. It was instrumental in my knowledge, and i'm one of only three people on my work team that's allowed to touch, play...
  13. N

Oracle Solaris 11.3 beta

Ok I got it to work, but just need to figure out how to get the path to stick in this new Solaris. What you need to do is download and install the Solaris Studio 12.4 runtime libraries and add them to your path. Then i was able to install the Net::SSLeay library and napp-it was able to send via...
  14. N

Oracle Solaris 11.3 beta

Okay, i see where the problems are, but not how to solve them. I'm only somewhat proficient in unix based operating systems, and don't even know enough on Solaris to be dangerous. I'll outline the specific issues below. If using napp-it's directions on the TLS menu item, it wants you to look...
  15. N

Oracle Solaris 11.3 beta

Hmm. Maybe try this one, after you validate what path seems to get called, and if tools may exist in one or the other? /usr/ccs/bin Is a Symbolic Link to /usr/bin The /usr/ccs/bin directory is a symbolic link to /usr/bin Because of this change, for example, the...
  16. N

Oracle Solaris 11.3 beta

Hey sundaydiver, i'm not sure if this will fix it, but i've been looking to test out this new Solaris beta with napp-it, and have begun by preliminarily reading through some of the Oracle docs about this new build. I saw a section in one of the docs that said that there's a bug with the...
  17. N

Align sector size to block size

If you're talking about 512 bytes versus 4k bytes of new hard drives and the sector alignment there, then it becomes a bit challenging under Solaris. There are some guides that you can follow and do the math necessary in fdisk to figure it out, but in my opinion, it's ugly. Much easier to boot...
  18. N

Dual NICs on PCIE x1 slot recommendation

I think the more apt question, to fit in line with the thread, is how can a card that was a tight fit while in low profile form ever fit if made into full height? I own a microserver, and have been thinking about this exact situation as i'm about to begin down the road to install a Cisco MDS...
  19. N

I'm personally interested in getting a few of the cases to convert the stock c6100 from 2u rack to workstation form like some of the pics. With a baby on the way, having this server and all of the rest of my gear running in the basement gets way too loud. With enough room in the cases, im sure...
  20. N

Dell Mezzanine SAS Controller for C6100 - Y8Y69 - IT mode

Thank you guys for the information! I, too, wanted to do some updates to the mezzanine raid controller and found this post in a quick google search.