Search results

1. N

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

The SFP to 10G may not support flow control or something and will cause the packets to drop and get resent. Try https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZYGYZ7X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 or...
  2. N

New Proxmox box w/ ZFS - R730xd w/ PERC H730 Mini in “HBA Mode” - BIG NO NO?

I just did real world testing and found the speeds to be really low. Create a pool, create share, copy data.
  3. N

New Proxmox box w/ ZFS - R730xd w/ PERC H730 Mini in “HBA Mode” - BIG NO NO?

What performance are you getting with the H730 mini in HBA mode? I remember getting SATA1 or SATA2 speeds on all drives with a card that should be capable of SAS3 12Gbps. I swapped out to HBA330 mini's that I found a deal on that made it not worth doing the H330 mini -> HBA330 mini re-flash and...
  4. N

HBA in 2023 for R730xd?

There is the H330 mini and also a HBA330 mini. I was able to find the HBA version for the same price or cheaper a couple years ago and you may still be able to. There is also the thread on how to convert a H330 mini to a HBA330 mini if that is the one you end up getting. The 16e that you are...
  5. N

HBA in 2023 for R730xd?

HBA330 mini card that can replace the H710 mini and reuse all the existing cabling?
  6. N

Which 10GbaseT transceivers are you using and what speeds do they need to support? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SNK1MY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details - This one properly supports 1, 2.5, 5, 10G in a Mikrotik but gets hot...
  7. N

5Gbps Routing - home internet

I switched to the Google 5Gb service a few months ago and use the Mikrotik CCR2004-16G-2S+ with one of the lower power 10Gbe to SFP+ modules. I get around 5.7G down and 8G up most of the time to my main PC. This is not the cheapest solution, but is available and works well (and is not Unifi)
  8. N

How and where to use VLANs? First Homelab in the making.

What about using ACL's on a L3 switch with VLAN's to control the access for certain devices? I.E. Security cameras with an ACL that only allows them to communicate with the NVR? I use the VLAN's them mainly for keeping ACL based rules to specific devices and use the switch to perform that...
  9. N

How and where to use VLANs? First Homelab in the making.

@slc004 - How many SSID's do you run on your WiFi networks? I have seen that you should limit it to 3 to keep the SSID broadcast/management traffic down and allow for device traffic to flow. I have 5-6 VLAN's setup that are close to your settings and 4 WiFi SSID's (2 on 5ghz only, 1 on 2.4ghz...
  10. N

Dell r730 vs r720 power usage

What do you have running on it and which power profile did you select? I think the power does drop once it is fully booted into the OS with power savings set up within the BIOS and OS. Also, forgot to mention that I am also running a fan script that drops the fan speeds based on Drive and CPU...
  11. N

Looking for half length low profile m.2 to pcie gen4 adapter (x16 or x8)

I'm glad it worked out and you verified that it should work for me once I need to use the other slots.
  12. N

Looking for half length low profile m.2 to pcie gen4 adapter (x16 or x8)

Amazon.com: JEYI M.2 X16 PCIe 4.0 X4 Expansion Card, Supports 4 NVMe M.2 2280 up to 256Gbps, Support Bifurcation Raid : Electronics I have one of these that I am using for PCIe gen3 and only using one of the slots right now. It should work with the other 3 slots but haven't tried it yet.
  13. N

Fun with an MD1200/MD1220 & SC200/SC220

The SC220 trays were not compatible with Dell R720 2.5" drive trays, so the 3.5" ones in the SC200 may not be either.
  14. N

I think you can save it by going to the very bottom on the left pane and select Command->Save to Flash
  15. N

I think I am using the power per watt OS setting so I might be able save a little more if I let the iDRAC do the power savings, but read that it can cause latency issues with the VM's. Yes, the v4's were quite a bit more per CPU so went with the v3's (2690v4 was $200 vs $100 for the 2697v3)...
  16. N

Since I didn't get any replies, I figured I would update with what I found out after swapping out to a couple R730xd's. R730xd - single e5-2697v3 with 192GB of ram (4x32 and 4x16) 24 - 2.5" front bay + 2 - 2.5" rear bay chassis currently using ~165-190w with 7 running VM's including Blue Iris...
  17. N

Booting RAID 1 TrueNAS on Dell R720XD

There is only one USB port inside the chassis, but you can use an external one if needed. The Dual SD card reader if you have it will be under the riser 3 near the rear of the chassis. DELL DUAL SD Card Reader Module POWEREDGE R620 R720 R720XD 06YFN5 | eBay - here is an example of cost and what...
  18. N

Booting RAID 1 TrueNAS on Dell R720XD

The IT mode of the H710 will mean that RAID functionality is disabled so using a RAID1 array to boot from won't work. The rear bays can be separated from the front drive bays using another SAS controller. The internal SATA connectors are disabled on the 720xd, so you wouldn't be able to use...
  19. N

Basement cleanout (KC/USA)

Yes I do. It is pickup only in the KC area.
  20. N

Brocade 8Gb 8G SW transceivers for Ethernet?

Try it and see, it might work. I had some Finisar 8GB fiber modules and they would get a 10G link between a Broadcom 6450 and a Mellanox Connectix 3 card.