Search results

1. N

Fiber vs. Copper For Short Lengths and Transceiver Reliability

I'm trying to figure out if there are any benefits of going with Fiber over Copper for short runs, for example, to connect servers to a switch in the same rack, with all else being equal. A Gigabit connection is a Gigabit connection, no matter what kind of media you're using. But would latency...
  2. N

Improving My Home Network/Best Practices/Suggestions

Thank you Kal! This will end up just being an exercise then... Are all versions (9.2.x-9.10.x) using this same rate limiter? I see the ASAv5 (limited to 100Mbps) is roughly $2300 and ASAv10 (capable of 1Gbps throughout) is about $2700.
  3. N

I’m happy to say that I’ve been getting phenomenal results with the new wWLC deployment over the previous WLC appliance, with absolutely no lag that I was experiencing before. I have rearranged my office and pulled 3 runs of network cabling, eliminating the inefficient wireless bridge/C3560-8...
  4. N

Haven’t looked much into the license options as I’m using the 3 month evaluation right now. I currently have 6 APs configured, one being a MeshAP Bridge feeding an 8-port 3560 in my difficult-to-wire office. Do multiple autonomous Cisco APs play well together? I’ve never tried but I do have...
  5. N

More updates! I've found a use for that DL320 server... I've deployed an ESXi image of Cisco vWLC in place of the hardware WLC 4402 appliance. The 4402 is no longer supported, and the last version of software dates to 2015. The vWLC supports the latest releases, I'm now using 2018 software...
  6. N

Just a little update: I upgraded the switch to a 3750G that I got a good deal on, installed a couple brush-type cable management panels and replaced the mismatched patch cables. I also played around with swapping the 1GE fiber connection between the ASA and switch with a 4-link PortChannel for...
  7. N

I'd like to keep the option open for another 1 or 2U server, but I've got no immediate plans. As I read more threads here that may change! :) I would like to add a 1U LCD/keyboard console if/when I find a used unit cheap enough. Either way I think I have more than enough space to grow. Should I...
  8. N

Thank you! Yes, definitely more power and networking space taken up than those little servers. Maybe a mod could move this to the networking section. I wish I had a rack full of servers, but I've got to balance the power usage too. It's not too bad currently, that G8 Server (The IP Cam NVR) is...
  9. N

Any ideas? My first course of action will be to upgrade the Fast Ethernet 3560-48-PS with a Gigabit 3750G-48-PS. This will allow gigabit throughput to each access point and all the local clients (90% of them support Gigabit Ethernet). When I purchased the ASA, I specifically bought the unit I...
  10. N

So with the physical description down, here's what I've got going on logically. The Verizon FiOS ONT is providing a copper feed to the ASA5520 which is obtaining the WAN address via DHCP. This is the OUTSIDE interface. The INSIDE interface of the ASA is 10.1.0.1/24, connecting via MM fiber on...
  11. N

Hello, New member here and I'm happy to find a place where I can get some advice and learn. I've pieced my current network together from what was originally a standalone Cisco lab and tried to expand, solve some home network requirements and tie it all together as well as financially practical...