Search results

1. N

Recommended cooler for LGA 4677 (Sapphire Rapids) CPU?

I'm going to build my personal server with Gigabyte MW53-HP0 and one of Xeon w5-2400 CPUs. I'm looking for a decent air/liquid cooler without having to pay a premium for Noctua. Dynatron active cooler for this socket seems loud. My build will be using a tower case so the height of cooler...
  2. N

CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Does anyone have problem with these unit crashing with Proxmox. It runs Opnsense bare metal without problem but it appears to have problem with Proxmox with minimal work load.
  3. N

ZFS vs. BTRFS: Safest Choice for Dummies?

Synology is undoubtedly best for average people. Pretty much plug and play. Use SHR1/SHR2 instead of RAID5/6, or go with RAID10 if you're paranoid about single parity setup but you'd have to buy bigger drives to make up usable capacity. Since your data is precious, it's important to frequently...
  4. N

LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

I found the problem. This Asrock industrial board boots just fine without X710-DA2 plugged in. The NIC is x8 and was working fine. I don't know what's the reason it refuses to work in x16 slot in this board. This X710-DA2 is working with other boards. Other NICs, including old Mellanox...
  5. N

I just bought Asrock Industrial IMB-1230 and got into problem. Initially it can't boot with 13th gen and I had to borrow a 12th gen to upgrade BIOS. Now the 13th gen CPU can boot into BIOS just fine but can't boot into any drive, including UEFI flash drives. Specs say DDR4 3200 SO-DIMM but i'm...
  6. N

How do you know that Asrock board has i225V B3 and not older revisions? I don't see that information in datasheet or manual. Btw, IMB-1230 with H610 is substantially cheaper than 1231. But PCI-e slot in IMB-1231 'Support riser card x8/x8', i don't know what x8/x8 mean. Is that bifurcation?
  7. N

What's the current state of i225 and i226 stability, especially on Linux and FreeBSD-based router? I've seen lots of complains on Windows and Linux, well windows mostly.
  8. N

What OS you're using as router? I believe most of them allow us to spoof MAC address.
  9. N

What was your default Package PL1 and PL2? Mine was set at 28000 and 25000 when i first looked into BIOS. That seems aggressive to me and explained why i had >6100 score on default settings. I lowered those to 10000/25000 but got scores just around 5000. Variant A case on 5-port model.
  10. N

I'm reading N100 and new Atom C5315 reviews on STH main site. Am i understanding correctly that N100 actually beat Atom C5315 on compression and crypto benchmarks even though the latter is 38W part AND equipped with QAT Gen 2? I'm moving from Atom C3558 to N100 and i thought i was downgrading...
  11. N

I got my 5-port N100 variant arrived today from CWWK store on Tmall. I bought it via a service similar to Superbuy but operates only in my country (also in Asia). Total cost of unit and shipping to my door is around 155 USD. For domestic Chinese market, CWWK sells these at cheaper price than...
  12. N

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Is there anyone had overheating issue with 10GbE card on these platform? These NICs typically consume less than 10W but in such cramped space with no fan it could be a concern.
  13. N

HP Elite Mini 800 G9 Review The Top Generational HP Project TinyMiniMicro

Can I fit BOTH 2.5" SSD and PCIe card? And Lenovo tiny is still the only 1L platform that can fit a PCIe card, am I correct?
  14. N

I'd love to see these chips in conventional form of m-ITX with small active cooler and expansion slot. And by the way why these E cores outperform Atom C5000 series despite much lower TDP?
  15. N

Chinese backdoors on Supermicro

Is there any mitigation given that BMC is compromised? If I put it in isolated VLAN it can theoretically try to share same NIC with CPU.
  16. N

Chinese backdoors on Supermicro

I'm always paranoid about security/privacy and this news is really freaking me out. I know NSA probably got everything about my digital life, but I just don't want China being able to spy on me too. Where are AsrockRack/Gygabyte server boards manufactured? I'm seriously looking for alternatives.
  17. N

Is $40 for used Ubiquity ToughSwitch TS-5-POE a good deal?

As in title, there is someone in my local city is selling this used switch but it looks like this model is no longer available on Ubnt website. I don't know its original price and this 'Getting started' PDF is only thing I could find...
  18. N

Is it possible to replace Dell motherboard (R210) with board from other brands?

I'm looking at an used R210 ads and really like its small chassis. However this R210 is fitted with E3 CPU installed and I'm thinking to upgrade it with Supermicro board (of any size) w/ Xeon D processor. I also want to ditch the DVD drive to create the space for additional SSD. I tried...