Search results

1. Terry Wallace

Home Install - What Cabling Would You Use?

Go fiber for main runs... its gotten a lot more consumer friendly price wise last 2 years. I've put alot of this in a number of places : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC14B3GZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details Its an LC connector (easy to use in patch panels or wall plates) has a...
  2. Terry Wallace

Hello, I'm new at here!

Welcome !
  3. Terry Wallace

Bluefield Mellanox ConnectX-5 100gb to 10gb with Adapters

and of course now they are being snapped up on ebay lol
  4. Terry Wallace

Beware of EMC switches sold as Mellanox SX6XXX on eBay

This is not uncommon.. read the threads in the upgrade section.. Dont remember the exact command it was, but command line clear out the OLD images (mine had like 2-3) which makes room for the download to complete..
  5. Terry Wallace

TFTP doesnt like routers FYI Its in Trivial nature of the protocol. Direct or dumb switch is the best bet for anything tftp
  6. Terry Wallace

Dell R740 vs HPE DL380 G10 - What to pick?

In that generation I have found the ilo5 advancecd to be superior to the iDRAC Having used both.. I'd pick the HP. ( My 78cents worth..... inflation these days..sheesh)
  7. Terry Wallace

That means its not talking to your tftp server from the sounds of it.. on your tftp server side there is usually a log,, does it show connection from switch ? request for file ?
  8. Terry Wallace

Proxmox & CEPH

ceph can be tuned for either throughput or capacity, I assume with the VM's you favor throughput, in which case the WAL disks are the things you want to hit first. Thats why i use the optane's for.. insanely high write life and io response. I put one optane in a box the (280gig) and use the...
  9. Terry Wallace

Proxmox & CEPH

For me at the time it was cost.. picking up used DL 380's got me dual socket. more ram slots (cheaper ram at smaller sizes) hot swap power supplies and enterprise class ILO all on the cheap..then dropped in some 10c/20htread cpus in each socket. (cheaply as its older hardware). I was in to...
  10. Terry Wallace

Proxmox & CEPH

LOL thats pretty close to what I used to run before upgrading.. Mellanox sx6036 connectx 3 pro vpi cards in eth mode. nodes had dual samsung 500g for boot pairs. (zfs mirror install) 1 optane 280g hhhl card for ceph wall and HGST 3.8TB enterprise SSDs for storage. since swapped cards out...
  11. Terry Wallace

Proxmox & CEPH

That's the recommended way is to 'no out' the node for maintenance... I have some nodes that have better reliability and power backup than others.. so if I have a compute node crash not worried about.. unlike a ceph node crashing... (That's just me and my setup). On the ceph backend network...
  12. Terry Wallace

Proxmox & CEPH

I run a large Proxmox cluster.. all machine are part of the the cluster.. 6 of the machines have ceph added (through the proxmox gui) and have the extra Nic added for ceph backbone traffic.. I don't place any VM/CTs on those nodes letting them effectively be storage only nodes. All other nodes...
  13. Terry Wallace

Mellanox SX60xx rails

Still looking for a set ? I have a boxed set new
  14. Terry Wallace

HP DL380e Gen8 - use PCIe slots without using riser board

No the HP risers have intelligence in them.. that monitors power draw and temps. Without the risers installed the bmc wont enable the slots.
  15. Terry Wallace

Switch Suggestions? LF Compact managed POE switch w/12-16 ports

7150 as stated.. not the cheapest by a longshot. But A. Fanless. B. the 10gig sfp ports are free licensed. C. Software is still maintained. D. Huge support in these forums. I run one of these and power a couple of unfi Pro HD AP off it.. Works like a champ. around 299 on ebay these days I...
  16. Terry Wallace

STH Hosting Upgrade 2022 Edition

Hey Patrick are you running ceph storage integrated with the cluster or standalone nodes ? Just curious on the vm use patterns on the nodes. Ps happy new year !! Happy to have you in Texas
  17. Terry Wallace

18TB HGST Ultrastar 550 $348

in for 24. (2 12 bay HP380's to be used as an offline ceph cluster backup)
  18. Terry Wallace

Flashing stock Mellanox firmware to OEM (EMC) ConnectX-3 IB/Ethernet dual-port QSFP adapter

Are you running infiniband / ethernet or VPI mode. Frequently if your running ethernet and the cards are set to VPI mode (autodetect and run either or) you will have problems when the windows machines start. Look up how to set the PORT_TYPE use mellanox firmware tools. If you set it with the...
  19. Terry Wallace

Ultimate Home Data Center

Welcome to Texas, if your ever up in Dallas and want a free lunch hit me up.
  20. Terry Wallace

What's causing this?

Another odd thing to check . I have seen ms malware scanning kick in on files accessed for copying.. and it takes awhile to scan inside of zips.. downloads folder sounds like one of its targets. Maybe check process wise with resource monitor and see what's doing disk accesses around the...