Search results

1. J

(FS-US-AZ) JP's custom high end servers!

Moving again and need to clear out some of my custom server builds. I have several items that I will be listing this week but wanted to get started. 1. The first build is based on an Asrockrack X570D4I-2T utilizing an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X. It was built using a Lianli TU150 case that has the...
  2. J

400G QSFP-DD switch recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations on a "relatively" cheap 400G QSFP-DD switch? One requirement is to be able to configure each port to fanout to 2x200G. I noticed that on some of the tofino based edgecore switches, they only fanout to 4x100G.
  3. J

Where can I find NMLXCLI (Mellanox Management CLI tools)

I am trying to find the NMLXCLI vib file. I need to use this cli tool to set spoof checking off and trust on in vmware. This needs to be done in order for VLANs, SRIOV and ESX to live happily ever after! If I use PCI-PT instead of SRIOV, it works. Unfortunately, I need to use SRIOV and need to...
  4. J

Nvidia CX-7 400G NIC --- QSFP-DD to OSFP DAC?

STH just posted an article on these nic cards. I am trying to get some clarification on the specific cable to connect a QSFP-DD switch to one of the OSFP cx-7 nics. There are 2 issues that we encountered: 1. the nic side requires an OSFP "Flat top" connector not the "Fin top" that is normally...
  5. J

ipmiutil on ast2600

does anyone know the correct syntax for adjusting the fans using ipmiutil for the newer bmc 2600 boards? I found some notes on ipmitool on the newer bmc: Cipher Suite 3 is disabled by default since BMC firmware 1.90 and only keep Cipher Suite 17 opened by default. Due to this, the extra...
  6. J

nvidia/mellanox connectx-7-where to purchase?

Does anyone know of any places that are currently selling the nvidia/mellanox connectx-7 ethernet nics? thanks for any tips! jp
  7. J

[US-WA] [FS] amd milan 7763, intel ice lake 8352s and sm h12ssl-i

clearing out some of my test systems to make way for the next gen of toys! 1 x amd 7763 (official) with supermicro h12ssl-i plus bonus noctua cpu cooler (several to chose from) total $3K If anyone is interested, I have a complete system in a cerberus x case (custom cosmochrome paint) with...
  8. J

[SOLD] [FS] - [US- Seattle] brand new Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Gene 40% OFF!

I had a few motherboards that I was using to test my latest project (Nvidia Connectx-7 pcie gen5 nic). This project required a pcie 5.0 motherboard. While I was waiting on a real server board (intel sapphire rapids/amd genoa), I used an amd 7950x with a few different motherboards. I had 2...
  9. J

AM5 "Servers", Mellanox Connectx-7 and PCIe Gen5. The experiment continues!

While waiting on a real pci gen5 server/cpu, I continue to experiment with any currently available options. cpu: amd ryzen 7950x mb: asus prime x6703-pro wifi ram: corsair dominator platinum rgb (always needed for a server :) ) ddr5 5200MHz 4 x 32 nic: mellanox/nvidia connectx-7 2x 200G pci...
  10. J

am5 mb with sriov support

does anyone know of any am5 motherboards (that are shipping) that support sriov?
  11. J

Mellanox/Nvidia Connectx-7 fw update

Does anyone know of a way around the following error msg: -E- Burning encrypted image on non-encrypted device is not allowed. I am trying to burn a newer version of the connectx-7 ethernet nic fw but am getting that error msg above. I have an mtusb-1 device and am able to update fw on most...
  12. J

how do you set the mode for optane persistent memory

I will be receiving some pmem 200 optane dimms shortly and wanted to understand how to set the mode MM, AD etc for the chips. I am assuming this might be in the bios somewhere but not sure. This will be on an ice lake system on a supermicro motherboard. I also have a few other systems but...
  13. J

esxi 8.x ???

has anyone seen any news on the next version of vsphere? I was told by nvidia/mellanox that their new connectx-7 nics would be supported on vsphere 8.x and not the current 7.x.
  14. J

(WTB) pci gen5 server and cpu

I am looking for any type of reference server and cpu that supports PCIe Gen5. the need is to start testing pcie gen5 nics. thanks for any unicorn sightings!
  15. J

fix broken capacitors on nic cards?

does anyone have any recommendations for folks that are able to repair broken capacitors on nic cards?
  16. J

ipmi on supermicro with bmc 2600 and fan threshold control

Does anyone know how to set the fan thresholds with the new bmc ast2600? when I run the standard ipmiutil cmd I get the following error: ipmiutil sensor version 3.17 sensor_num = 0x43 Connecting to node 192.168.17.66 Command response could not be provided ipmilan_open_session error, rv = 0xce...
  17. J

Mellanox MTUSB-1

Does anyone have any experience using the mellanox I2C adapter called the MTUSB-1? I am having some issues trying to connect to a mellanox NiC with this device. I am looking for some pointers on how exactly to connect, what the led status should look like on the device, etc. I ordered the kit...
  18. J

Changing PSID is unsupported under Secure FW.

Does anyone know any tips for burning the generic mellanox fw onto an hpe branded card that has the secure fw enabled? thanks.
  19. J

asrock rack romed6 how to turn off smt

Hello, I am trying to find out how to disable hyperthreading (smt) on the romed6 mb. I am pretty sure it is located in this sub menu but this bios won't allow me to drill down to the next sub menu: I tried several bios 1.00, 1.10 and the latest 3.15 all to no avail. thanks for any help.