Search results

1. mattaw

CX516A-GCAT -> CX556A-ECAT?

I'll poke it tomorrow and see how far I get with the existing optics. Unfortunately when I pulled fiber through the house I used mmf, had I ever realized that 100gbe was affordable I would have used smf, sigh. I should just try the 100gbe optics anyway, maybe they will work over the short run?
  2. mattaw

For me it has been about 3 months, they are both working just fine! BTW I replaced the thermal paste under their feeble heatsink with some Laird 7000 PCM as these run HOT, (Honeywell PCM PTM7950 is the other one). It lowered their temps by probably 10 degC too. Details here: Laird Tpcm 7250 is...
  3. mattaw

[UPDATED]: Thermal paste for Xeon Skylake CPUs

I am really glad to hear it - I wish that Honeywell would sell it directly though. The Honeywell and Laird have extensive testing for long-term stability. I am pretty sure the stuff sold on AE is genuine, however I felt more comfortable buying through a supplier, especially at $33 per 9"x9".
  4. mattaw

[UPDATED]: Thermal paste for Xeon Skylake CPUs

Just to add my experience with the Laird Tpcm 7000 (Tpcm 7250 to be exact). I wrote a short article on my blog, but TLDR it replaced a previous install of SYY-157 paste (incredibly thick w. claimed 15W-m/K) and improved performance, especially in low clamping force situations like my RTX 3090...
  5. mattaw

Doh! Thanks for pointing that out, yes it has a 40 Gbps module in it at the moment, and is in the x4 PCIe 4.0 X570 chipset slot as the rest are occupied. The main reason I crossflashed it was to double the speed of those four lanes. Also it might not work with a longer slot, as I had to solder...
  6. mattaw

I have just crossflashed two Mellanox badged Connectx-5 MCX556A-ECAT dual 100 IB/Gbe card -> Connectx-5 Ex MCX556A-EDAT on Windows 10 22H2 & Linux Debian 12, note the flint -allow_psid_change option does not show up in the help, but works fine. 1. Download and flash with normal tools, e.g., mst...
  7. mattaw

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I am just tired - the PSU swap did not work - it was the power cord that had fallen out. Lesson: Always check the LED on the back - if the supply is faulty it will not be steady green, it will flash a color enabling diagnosis.
  8. mattaw

Any recommendations for new fans for a ICX 6610 PSU? I have a failed fan in one I want to replace, but it seems to be a special delta fan, or at least the info on the label does not match those I see on Delta's site/eBay. I can find a bunch of recommendations to not downgrade the fans...
  9. mattaw

Has anyone tried crossflashing Mellanox Connectx5 CX556A-ECAT PCIe 3 to CX556A-EDAT PCIe 4?

Looking at the product brief for the Connectx-5 AISC they have two different part numbers based on PCIe 3 or 4 support. Could still be marketing, I guess. https://www.mellanox.com/sites/default/files/doc-2020/pb-connectx-5-vpi-ic.pdf
  10. mattaw

Has anyone tried crossflashing Mellanox Connectx5 CX556A-ECAT PCIe 3 to CX556A-EDAT PCIe 4?

Good afternoon, I have got two damaged Connectx-5 ECAT's which I have repaired and seem to work. However I only have a x8 lane PCIe 4.0 socket on my X570 motherboard. To run them fast I would need PCIe 4.0 support. Has anyone tried cross-flashing them to see if that just works TM? Or are there...
  11. mattaw

@fohdeesha Do you know how to configure flow control on the "unstacked" 40gbe ports? I am using two Connextx-3 (non-Pros) doing ROCEv1 (and 1.25!?! wth Mellanox) to do NVMe-oF between linux and Windows 10 Pro over RDMA. I see from the Fastiron flow control guide you can enable symmetric flow...
  12. mattaw

Need help choosing scrap-price Xeons for Supermicro X9DRi

Yeah @Markess, I checked the PCB revision on the silk screen and mentioned it in the first post its 1.10. BIOS is 3.3. Apparently you could have sent the board in for an ECO under warranty but obviously that hasn't been applied (or it would boot). I'll skip the upgrade to X10, ddr4, that is...
  13. mattaw

Thank you both so much @Markess & @Spartacus. I took the idea you suggested and for $10 on ebay scored two E5-2709v2's and the result of the test is what I reported - failed to boot. With no published ECO changes that could be applied, despite me having a pretty good SMT rework capability I...
  14. mattaw

Sigh, just tested with throwaway V2's and definitely I have an old board revision. Oh well.
  15. mattaw

Value of 0603 SMT Fuse on AOC-2308 (LSI 9207) card

So, as I ended up in a hurry I bridged it, checked for no shorts on the power supply and shoved it in a burner PC to test. Worked fine and currently undergoing stress testing. I agree on the idea though, that is a really good way of thinking of it. I will get some on order and then resolder the...
  16. mattaw

Value of 0603 SMT Fuse on AOC-2308 (LSI 9207) card

So, purchased 6x of the AOC Supermicro cards with SAS2308 SoC's from LSI from ebay $25each: SuperMicro AOC-S2308L-L8i 8 Ports SAS-600 PCIe 6Gb/s Server Controller Card | eBay When flashing them to the latest BIOS 20.00.07, I got tired and tried to hotswap one. Got the flash and pop - card...
  17. mattaw

"Angry upvote" captures my mood. Really got my heartrate up. Well played again.
  18. mattaw

Thank you very much! IN is going into a statewide lockdown beginning Wednesday so I suspect those $5 v2 I ordered for testing will not arrive as planned either. Weird times these.
  19. mattaw

Thanks! Both for $75, vs. $150?
  20. mattaw

Just for kicks I bought two E5-2609v2 for $10.70 shipped so I can be 100% disappointed