Search results

1. A

nvme with 10g enclosure?

Looking for an nvme enclosure that can support gen 4 or 5 pcie nvme. I only need about 4tb of space as this will be an iscsi target over 10gbe networking for virtual machines. Any recommendations? I'm only finding really larger enterprise solutions that I don't need.
  2. A

need a mini server for home domain controller and a few virtual machines

looking to replace an older xeon server with something small but powerful. I see things like the dell t350 that look interesting but was wondering if anyone had recommendations for something with at least 12 cores / threads, 64g ram and nvme drives that might work as a small home server.
  3. A

orbi 2x src60 + 1x srr60

I changed my network to all unifi and now have these orbi devices available. They are really powerful and in great shape. Cost $1.5k (ish) new, selling for $250.
  4. A

build nvme server for hyperv cluster

I'm currently using s2d with ssd for my little hyperv dev cluster. I'd like to switch it to a san/nas style nvme server and use nvme-of from the servers to try and achieve max performance (everything is 40g networking). Any suggestions on cards / enclosures for such a build?
  5. A

epyc pcie4.0 nvme server. truenas or freenas?

I'm building a SAN/NAS server to use with my homelab & 40gb infiniband network. My plan is to build something that can do NVME-OF from the 4 big physical hyperv servers I have. Does anyone know if either of these support NVME-OF? Are truenas or freenas even the right choices for software to...
  6. A

Arista DCS-7050QX-32 ethernet console not lighting up

Just got my new arista unit (unopened factory new) and plugged it all in. Problem is I can't get the console ethernet to light up or connect at all. Is this behavior anyone else has seen? is there something maybe I'm missing in the directions to get it to allow me to console in?
  7. A

best / cheapest 10gbe 5 port switch

anyone recommend a good and inexpensive 5 port 10gbe switch? This will basically be used in my office where I will soon be using 10gbe for 3 devices. I have a 10gbe 24 port switch in the basement with my server, qnap, etc. that all use 10gbe but I need a smaller local 10gbe switch to use in my...
  8. A

nvme pcie 3.0 x16 card with 4 nvme slots?

I got a really great nvme pcie3 x8 card with 2 nvme slots that works flawless even without bifurcation. Ableconn PEXM2-130 Dual PCIe NVMe M.2 SSDs Carrier Adapter Card - PCI Express 3.0 x8 Card Support 2X M.2 NGFF PCIe NVMe SSD (ASMedia ASM2824 Chipset) - Support Non-Bifurcation Motherboard...
  9. A

qsfp+ switch seems too good to be true

Just found this on ebay and was wondering what I'm missing. https://www.ebay.com/i/224194827440 So that will give me 32 ports of 40gbe? I still have to buy the modules and cards, but if I'm reading that right, I can get that baseline switch for $750. Are there other better deals like this...
  10. A

qpi vs pcie lanes in multi processor system

I have some older servers that I've added some NVME pcie cards to. The systems are X9DR3(i)-LN4F+ and are updated to the latest 3.4 bios/firmware. Currently with pcie3.0 I have an 8 lane pcie 3.0 card with two 1tb nvmes running at full speed (benched them at the same time and got 3.5gbps from...
  11. A

epyc 1u nvme server

I'm trying to put together an epyc server tuned for drive performance. I'm looking at two models as barebone / base that I will add things to. currently I'm looking at either https://www.supermicro.com/en/Aplus/system/1U/1014/AS-1014S-WTRT.cfm or...
  12. A

chasis/tower or enclosure with SAS/8087 backplane

my 10 year old habi 2u finally died the other day and it looks time I upgrade to something more modern. I have a 3ware 9750-8i raid card with 8 drives that I was using two 8087 cables for. I got rid of my rack in the basement and now need either a tower chassis with 8087 backplane or just a...
  13. A

homelab upgrades to 10gbe + SAN

I need a SAN for my home lab so that I can run lots of virtual machines (30ish currently) and have failover, etc. I tried backing them into a traditional NAS (linux machine with local 7200 rpm drives) over 1gig network and the virtual machines were very slow despite having 2 hyperv machines...