Search results

1. R

UK FS: Eaton 9135 6000VA UPS

Just to say the transaction for the above was great. Nice to met you @psc. Apologies for the slight confusion on my part, but happy it all worked out in the end.
  2. R

LSI 9300-8i SR-IOV

FWIW, a FC HBA looks to be where this is more supported, but there are other requirements in doing so. Either let the hypervisor handle storage, passthrough the HBA to a NAS VM and hook storage into that or have a separate external NAS/SAN.
  3. R

UK FS: Eaton 9135 6000VA UPS

Ish? :) I’m intersted in the second line item. FWIW, you can get adapters. I have a 32A PDU but picked up an adapter for it to pop into a UK mains outlet. For my application, it would barely see 10% of its rated load so would not be an issue from an electrical perspective. Do you happen...
  4. R

UK FS : Supermicro frankenstein / unicorn machines to make space

May be interested in one of the Quanta chassis, though I need to read up on its connectivity specs. Just to confirm, they're all dual node variants? You don't happen to have a single board version?
  5. R

Can't decide on a TRX50 board

I've got the Asrock board with a 7970x. Currently in a hack/temp setup doing a F@H competition. It will get the full WC treatment, and I'm looking for a solution for the VRMs as well as I really don't want 4x 40mm fans...ever. Triple slot GPUs...wouldn't be the first time I hacked one to make...
  6. R

Burned installers are leaving Ubiquiti

If, while under his "leadership" they now have the products they have...don't know I'd call that a success. Blinky ports on switches. Still have crappy "L3" features/functionality. Good set of priorities there. The switches still behave/function oddly.
  7. R

UK FS - Supermicro SuperServer SC2027TR-D70RF and components

Before I go too far down the rabbit hole of cannibalizing these for scrap, thought I'd see if anyone could use these. I have three currently on hand and I think another four or so I need to bring back. I've currently stripped CPUs, RAM, and any disks, and will still need to reset IPMI, but...
  8. R

SFP problem

They're DACs? Easiest thing would be to post on the UI community forum. In the meantime, rollback to the previous version and see if that fixes it. It would not surprise me there's a (nother) bug. I moved on long ago from any of their router products else I'd test myself.
  9. R

100GBASE-SR1 1x100Gb lane exist?

He means single lambda. 100Gb is usually 4x25 or 2x50, much like 40Gb is 4x10. What I find odd is he linked a fiber store part, which if he looks just a little bit more, he’ll find the item he’s looking for, which is this… https://www.fs.com/uk/products/185636.html There’s even a filter to...
  10. R

Where to start? $1k budget for CPU/Memory/Ram for ESXI 8 vmware host

As mentioned, the trial (60 day) gives you everything, and it’s a three line script to reset the trial clock, so for home(lab) it’s an easy way to get what you may need.
  11. R

if it is for home use, ESXi 8 as a trial, and you can indefinitely renew the trial license.
  12. R

Unless you find a board with SFP ports. They exist. I’m assuming you’re assuming onboard = copper, which isn’t always the case.
  13. R

Why did “Cities Skylines 2 on EPYC high core count” get deleted?

As the title states from the CPU forum.
  14. R

[US-MD][WTB] Titan V EK waterblocks

Shame they don't do a full parallel block. The semi-parallel seems less efficient in terms of the last three cards getting warmer water than the first four. I know I know...equalization over time. But still...
  15. R

Dell S5296F-ON OS10 software

And up we go. Still looking. TIA
  16. R

Pfsense - dedicated hardware or VM

Fair point. I could very well be trivializing it, hence my YMMV caveat. In the context of the home, in the additional context of security, the risk is slim.
  17. R

Packets don't hit anything but the FW. They don't hit the hypervisor directly; it doesn't process anything. I do use ESXi, and leverage SR-IOV to the VM. As a type 1 hypervisor, it does handle things differently than virtualbox would. What you're saying is you also virtualize everything...
  18. R

Eh? You don’t need to reserve anything. How is running in bare metal more efficient than running as a VM when you can have multiple VMs? Allocate what is required and move on. Just because you allocate a couple of cores to a VM doesn’t mean those same cores can’t be used in a different VM...
  19. R

What's your ISP throughput? What is your internal connectivity? I presume 1Gb? How segmented are you looking to make your network. The first two questions will largely dictate your performance requirements. If you have, say, 100Mb service, you don't need much, even with IPS/IDS enabled...