Search results

1. T

Virtualizing TNSR alongside VMs on ESXi 7

Software company I work for are starting to check how secure home labs are. Good idea but means I need to get a few things redesigned. I need to build a more secure zone in my home network in to which I can deploy and run various VM’s.. I was planning to convert my home network to 10GBE (mainly...
  2. T

10 GBE Router

Thinking of repurposing a slightly surplus HTPC machine in to a 10GBE Router for home use. HTPC runs a slightly old Intel Core i5-4590 (3.3 GHz) on an Asus Z97i-Plus desktop class motherboard and is in a Streacom FC-5 case. Idea is to keep cost a down and simply add in a 4 port 10GBE port -...
  3. T

Recommended cables for new setup

Hello - I hope this is ok asking here... my ISP is switching up to a faster 10 or 25 gbps service and wondering what I need to get. I’m running Unifi USG and switches at the moment. I am in a house with: a) GROUND FLOOR: incoming line from ISP (USG3, US-8-150W, UAP-nanoHD) b) BASEMENT: server...
  4. T

Disk Read Write Speed ESXi / Synology NAS

Setting up a new home lab - currently I have a single PowerEdge R630 which boots ESXi from thumbdrive. PowerEdge is connected to Synology 1819+ with 10GBE - iSCSI provided datastore. I have installed Windows Server 2016 VM (2vCPU, 4GB RAM) and have used the PVCSI disk driver and installed VM...
  5. T

Recommendation for 10GBE Card for Dell PowerEdge

Hello - I am wondering whether any one could recommend a well priced 10GBE card for Dell PowerEdge R630. I want it to have 2 Ports ideally - eventually I plan to probably buy the MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN - however initially I would use just one of the ports and connect it to one of the two SFP+...
  6. T

Unable to see Intel DC S4510 Drives in VMware ESXi 6.7U3

Hello I am trying to get ESXi to be able to see 2 Intel D3-S4510 Drives - they are the OEM variety and I have them plugged into a PowerEdge R630. The drives are the ones references in this link: Downloads for Intel® SSD D3-S4510 Series (960GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 3D2, TLC) I have this afternoon...
  7. T

Low Power Storage Solution

I have a number of LP Dell R630 machines with 2.5" disk slots. I would like to have some shared storage based on the lowest power possible using high capacity spinning drives. My idea was to start with 4 x 2 TB or 4 x 3TB drives since I can't see initial requirement being over this (home lab...
  8. T

Recommendation wanted for deep 12U chassis

I am looking for a deep 12U chassis for Dell PowerEdge R630 and other stuff. I've managed to find the following: 12U Server Rack/Cabinet - 29in Depth | Knock-Down Server Rack with Casters | StarTech.com Looking for other suggestions to short list.
  9. T

Buying advice - Home Lab - Dell R630

Hello Looking to build a new home lab. I have a basement area however still looking for a quiet set up since I could move in the future. So noise should be kept low however more importantly I will be keeping things on 24x7 and would like low power consumption. Budget is on the low to medium...
  10. T

Planning to expand home network

I am planning to expand my home lab so I can run some more virtual hosts (ESXi). For space saving and generally efficiency I am planning to go with each mounts. I plan to spend in total between 1000-1500 USD and would ideally like an additional 2 machines. I was checking eBay and there is a ton...
  11. T

Taken old server out of Storage Room

I started a new job recently and need to run a home lab to get up to speed. I have an old server which I was hoping to setup as a home lab. It's a bit of a mixed bag but has an onboard SAS2008 RAID Controller along with 4 2TB HDDs hooked up. I would like to strip out the old graphics card...
  12. T

OpenIndiana on Hyper-V physical disks

Hello - I have just setup OpenIndiana with napp-it on Hyper-V. I have a 4 x 2 TB disks connected to an onboard SAS2008 controller which I want to passthrough to make storage pools however they don't appear to be able to be passed through using the hyper-v scsi controller rather only the IDE...
  13. T

Recommendation needed

Hello and Happy Sunday ! I have just done a fresh install of Windows 10 Professional having migrated away from another OS. I have a 5 slot 3.5" HDD to which I have 4 x 2TB disks taken from my retired NAS. These disks are hooked up to the mainboard's SAS2008 controller running IT firmware...
  14. T

Mixing supported types of ECC RAM

I have a new motherboard and am needing to buy more RAM for it. I currently have 4 sticks of ECC RAM M393B1K70DH0-YH9 and am thinking of buying 2 more of M393B1K70CH0-YH9 which is also ECC. Both are supported by the Motherboard (running 2 x X5660). Any problem in making such a mix ?
  15. T

Need to build ESX environment across multiple physical servers.

Inherited 7 racked IBM x series servers. For testing purposes I would like to setup a ESX VSphere environment. Each server has 2 x 136GB disks, 4 x Xeon 7400 Series Processors and 16 GB RAM. Ideally I would like to create a single redundant disk array across some of the servers and disks and...
  16. T

New MB purchased - any thoughts

Well with a number of threads down and considering Supermicro X9 or X10 motherboards I finally pushed the button and purchased a SMC X8... I know not the latest but definitely on a budget here and this seemed the best value for money solution since 48GB of RAM was included in the price...
  17. T

SMA Onboard HBA or not - how to decide ?

I am still mulling a purchase over and what I really need in terms of power, performance versus cost and cost of running. I would like some kind of storage card either integrated or slot in PCI. The Supermicro X9SRH-7F has therefore caught my eye however so has the more workstation centric...
  18. T

SAS 2308 optional RAID key

Hi - thanks Patrick for a really cool website - been checking it daily for a while now and thought might be time for a quick question tonight. Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere on the forum. I am thinking of purchasing an Supermicro X9SRH-7F and was reading the manual (as...