Search results

1. T

Virtualizing TNSR alongside VMs on ESXi 7

Thanks @Vesalius for the details earlier in the week. Looking to try and get this done over the weekend. Will report back. ** Having plenty of issues around passing sr-iov vf from the quad i350 pf to esxi ** - might need to settle on setting up a vSwitch for the WAN side instead I suppose.
  2. T

Yes, @RTM - The TNSR VM would be the gateway for traffic to/from HOME ZONE to SECURE ZONE - Yes, the assumption is to ensure only work laptop can access the VM’s in the secure zone. Currently, I have a main HOME subnet alongside multiple WORK VLAN’s configured on the USG (later plan the same...
  3. T

Thanks @RTM to draw.io - above is the current network setup. I need to introduce a secure zone as illustrated below - apologies @Vesalius if I wasn’t clear upfront. The laptop icon Is my work issued laptop. All connections are 1 GBE apart from the DAC connection which runs between two...
  4. T

Software company I work for are starting to check how secure home labs are. Good idea but means I need to get a few things redesigned. I need to build a more secure zone in my home network in to which I can deploy and run various VM’s.. I was planning to convert my home network to 10GBE (mainly...
  5. T

10 GBE Router

Thanks for the previous comments. Due to personal reasons I haven’t managed to follow up on this till now. I am needing to slightly change what I am going to do here and build a more secure zone in my home network for working from home with required VM’s. Looking on netgate.com an adequate...
  6. T

10 GBE Router

No, you're not overstepping at all @RTM - Thank you for the comment. I am fairly aware that the desktop board mentioned above might fall well short however in terms of a minimum purchase to set up TNSR on bare metal what would a current hardware solution be in terms of low cost. My ISP is able...
  7. T

10 GBE Router

Thanks @tjk for the link. What’s the suggestion ?
  8. T

10 GBE Router

Thinking of repurposing a slightly surplus HTPC machine in to a 10GBE Router for home use. HTPC runs a slightly old Intel Core i5-4590 (3.3 GHz) on an Asus Z97i-Plus desktop class motherboard and is in a Streacom FC-5 case. Idea is to keep cost a down and simply add in a 4 port 10GBE port -...
  9. T

Recommended cables for new setup

Hello - I hope this is ok asking here... my ISP is switching up to a faster 10 or 25 gbps service and wondering what I need to get. I’m running Unifi USG and switches at the moment. I am in a house with: a) GROUND FLOOR: incoming line from ISP (USG3, US-8-150W, UAP-nanoHD) b) BASEMENT: server...
  10. T

Disk Read Write Speed ESXi / Synology NAS

Just for comparison here is the same test again with a SSD Read/Write Cache set up:
  11. T

Thanks - just hoping for some confirmation.
  12. T

Setting up a new home lab - currently I have a single PowerEdge R630 which boots ESXi from thumbdrive. PowerEdge is connected to Synology 1819+ with 10GBE - iSCSI provided datastore. I have installed Windows Server 2016 VM (2vCPU, 4GB RAM) and have used the PVCSI disk driver and installed VM...
  13. T

Recommendation for 10GBE Card for Dell PowerEdge

@vanfawx what does that ^ really mean? I was actually looking at getting this today where the SFP+ and cables have been bundled with the X520-DA card. In your opinion would I be covered here? Thanks and please excuse my apparent ignorance :)
  14. T

Recommendation for 10GBE Card for Dell PowerEdge

Hello - I am wondering whether any one could recommend a well priced 10GBE card for Dell PowerEdge R630. I want it to have 2 Ports ideally - eventually I plan to probably buy the MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN - however initially I would use just one of the ports and connect it to one of the two SFP+...
  15. T

Low Power Storage Solution

The Synology DS1819+ still looks a bit of a winner for what I want however noticed that its only possible to have 1 expansion card either the 10GBE E10G15-F1 card or the M2D18 - Dual M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD adapter card for SSD caching. Too bad you can't have both but then again these extras seem to...
  16. T

Low Power Storage Solution

Thanks @acquacow for the parts list ! Any reason you chose the SM board over this one: ASRock Rack D1541D4U-2O8R Looking at this one and it really seems to be the complete package for a lot less $
  17. T

Unable to see Intel DC S4510 Drives in VMware ESXi 6.7U3

I ran a disk benchmark test on a Windows 2016 Server VM with the following results: Performance seems ok but would be interested if any one could share an opinion on this
  18. T

Thanks @Rand__ Configured a virtual disk using the 2 Physical Disks using the PERC config util and can see the virtual disk now in ESXi. I'll have a play with this and see if I can get the native SSD exposed in ESXi by checking up on the HBA and Passthrough mode. I'd like to understand how...
  19. T

Exactly - I see the controller but no disks. But I can see the disks in the BIOS Utility and the iDRAC.
  20. T

No - this is exactly where I am unable to get them to show up. I only see the USB thumb drive from which I am booting ESXi.