Search results

1. herby

How to Best Avoid SSDs Used for Chia Mining?

I need to replace a old dying 480 GB Intel S3500 drive in my ZFS array. I'm okay with my current performance and disk space. I'm not in a rush to upgrade. In the olden days before 2021 and Chia's arrival on the scene, I'd just pick up a couple more used S3500's for $50-75 a pop on eBay, but now...
  2. herby

Help Optimizing multipath.conf Values

My goal is to get the most out of my iSCSI connections from my Xenservers to my FreeNAS. Right now I'm feeding traffic over two asymmetrical paths using MPIO. One connection is GbE the other is 10 GbE. Below is the relevant section of my current multipath.conf file on my Xenservers: device {...
  3. herby

HP/Mellanox QSFP to SFP adapters ($9.95 ebay)

This pinged on my saved searches: The seller has HP/Mellanox QSFP to SFP adapters for US $9.95 w/ free shipping. GENUINE 655902-001 655874-B21 HP MELLANOX QSFP to SFP ADAPTER 886111656585 | eBay It looks like someone already bought up the bulk of them; but are 6 left at the time of this...
  4. herby

Mellanox Switch (SX6012) QSFP Breakout Compatibility

I think I'm going to get a Mellanox SX6012 switch but I don't have any 40Gb NICs yet. I was wondering what experience people have had with different QSFP to 4x SFP+ breakout cables and Mellanox switches. Since I've had luck with passive Cisco SFP+ DACs in my Connectx-2 NICs I thought I might...
  5. herby

The Free Edition of Xenserver is Getting Gimped

XenServer 7.3: Changes to the Free Edition About four years ago XCP (Xen Cloud Platform) essentially the free version of Xenserver, was merged with "normal" Xenserver after it was opened sourced. This was awesome and pretty much all the Xenserver features were now free. Excellent for a hobbyist...
  6. herby

Supermicro Single Socket Epyc Motherboard

Supermicro's teasing a little more info on their AMD Epyc page: Supermicro AMD EPYC™ Processor-based Solutions | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc. I've been tuning in regularly to see what they have in the pipe, and it looks like the a third model number was added and specs have changed a...
  7. herby

Icydock Express Cage vs Tough Armor Product Lines

I'm thinking about getting a couple of 4 or 6 bay 2.5" to 5.25" mobile racks for my NAS to hold SSDs. All my 3.5" spinning rust lives in my DAS enclosure. I leaning towards Icydock's Express Cage over their Tough Armor line primarily because of price; but is there any reason I should splurge on...
  8. herby

Intel DC S3500 Wearout of 001

Just got two 480 GB DC S3500 SSDs off eBay with the following SMART data: Disk 1 Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds: ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age...
  9. herby

Bad Connectx-2? Confirm my suspicions.

TLDR: HP Connectx-2 renders my Xenserver unstable. Problems goes away when the card is removed, or when replaced with a Dell single port Connectx-2. Got this HP branded ConnectX-2 NIC: HP, 10GBE Dual Port PCIe Adapter 518001-001,516937-B21 REV A1 | eBay today and the Xenserver machine I put it...
  10. herby

Intel AMT/ME Vulnerability widely reported

Good chance most folks in the forums have heard; but apparently there is a vulnerability in Intel's Management Engine found on vPro platforms. Depending on who you read this problem is either bad, or catastrophic: Red alert! Intel patches remote execution hole that's been hidden in biz, server...
  11. herby

Need a rack? This is pretty neat.

Penn Elcom, a road/flight case hardware manufacturer sells this interesting product: http://www.pennelcomonline.com/us/Penn-Elcom-Simple-Open-Tower-Top-and-Base--Assembly-Parts-R8230-TB/m-6260.aspx Pretty much an erector set to build a professional looking rack, just add the threaded or...
  12. herby

Intresting rumor: Third AMD Zen Socket positioned between AM4 and SP3

Ugh, Typo: Interesting rumor... AMD May Have Ryzen 16-Core Version and New Chipset in the Works for June Rumor of a socket SP3r2 for a cut down version of Naples w/ a chipset called X399. This would be pretty neat. All I want is a 1700 on a board with: IPMI, more PCI-e lanes, and room for a...
  13. herby

What S.M.A.R.T. Attributes do Dell SSDs Present?

Reading on STH and searching on eBay I keep coming across deals for Dell (and to a lesser extent HP) branded Intel DC S3500 SSDs. I understand the special firmware on these disks don't present all the SMART attributes the stock Intel disks do, but what do they present? I'm interested in...
  14. herby

Queued TRIM is corrupting Samsung SSDs in Ubuntu 14.04

Saw this on Hacker News: Milliseconds Matter When Solid State Drives are not that solid Apparently the way TRIM is executed in Ubuntu 14.04 it's zeroing out blocks it shouldn't on certain Samsung SSDs. HN discussion thread: When Solid State Drives Are Not That Solid | Hacker News
  15. herby

Advice buying 10 Gbe NICs/Fiber

I'm interested in moving up from GbE to 10 GbE for my home server setup but I'm unsure about SFP+ connectors, fiber, and 10 GbE NICs in general. My goal is to have a 10 GbE crossover from each of my Xenservers to my FreeNAS. I'm looking at this listing on Ebay: Chelsio 10GB 2 Ports PCI E Opt...
  16. herby

4223HE Throwing ECC Errors in Linux-Bench

EDIT: I just noticed I mistyped the title of this thread is should read: "4332HE Throwing ECC Errors in Linux-Bench" Specs: Supermicro H8SCM-F AMD 4332 HE KVR16R11D4/16 (16GB x 2 RDIMMs) Prices on Ebay for 4332 Opterons have gotten super low so I thought it was time to upgrade from my old 4171...
  17. herby

Three server 10 GbE network without a switch. Possible?

I currently have three servers at home: two Xenservers, and a Freenas box. With the promised I/O improvements in the next Xenserver release and Carp/Hast being added to Freenas I'm interested in virtualizing my storage and moving up from a multipathed Gigabit storage network to 10GbE. To avoid...
  18. herby

4332 HE Opteron $75 + Shipping OBO

Good price if your in the market to upgrade from an older C32 processor. AMD Opteron 6 Core Processor 4332 He 3 0GHz 8MB L3 Cache OS4332OFU6KHK w O Fan | eBay 4332 Opteron: 65W TDP 3.0 GHz Base Freq, 3.7 Turbo 6 Piledriver Cores I've generally seen low prices around $100 in the past.
  19. herby

HP To Charge For Service Packs and Firmware For Out-of-Warranty Customers -Slashdot

Great news for us dumpster divers and ebay bargain hunters: HP To Charge For Service Packs and Firmware For Out-of-Warranty Customers - Slashdot Fortunately it looks like it's just servers for now.
  20. herby

New Rosewill RSV-Z2600, cheap 2U with potential?

Just saw this case at Newegg, sorry for the crappy screen caps: Looks cheap but serviceable, about the build quality of iStarUSA's budget line. Pretty good ventilation though, beats my D-213 I'm sure. Worth a look for people in the market for for a mATX 2U chassis.