Search results

1. lpallard

APC UPS management strategy and sequential shutdowns

Hello, I acquired a NMC AP9360 management card for one of my SMT750RM2UC which is protecting a few devices and servers, namely my Proxmox host, a pfsense router and a 48 port switch..... Right now during a power outage apcupsd running on my PVE initiates a shutdown when the battery reaches a...
  2. lpallard

Yet another MariaDB "help me tune the **** thing"

Title says it all ;) I am running a MariaDB/MySQL server on a Rocky Linux VM hosted on a Proxmox server. VM is dedicated to the DB server and has the following specs: -4 Cores (2 cores x 2 sockets) -32GB DDR3 RAM -DB storage is on an older RAID0 pair of Hitachi 15k600 SAS hard drives (will be...
  3. lpallard

SOLVED - Supermicro H8DCL-IF IPMI no longer can connect to Java Console

Hello, I have an older H8DCL-iF mobo that I am trying to connect to the IPMI remote console but Java wont let me connect to it because of security reasons.... I tried fiddling with the "java.security" files on my local machine to no avail. The error message is: Caused by...
  4. lpallard

825TQ Chassis with H8DCL-iF problem with fan speed/mode

(From this thread) Hello again! I got a 825TQ-R720LPB chassis and transplanted my old proxmox system into it. However, I'm facing an issue with fan speed. Basically they're running at around 3400 RPM but are constantly revving up & down. AFAIK, it seems to be matching CPU load (which would...
  5. lpallard

SC825 drive carrier red light (caused by misconfiguration?)

Hello, I just replaced the chassis of my proxmox system from a Norco 4U case to a Supermicro 2U chassis with passive cooling. Upon restarting the system, I noticed that all of the drive carriers (caddies) have a solid red light next to the hard drive symbol with a big "X". When there's HDD...
  6. lpallard

ATX PSU recommendation to replace a Corsair HX1050

Hello, The corsair HX1050 that is currently powering my Proxmox node started to make a strange noise recently, kinda like ball bearings clicking. Getting my ears closer to the PSU it could also sound like arcing but I cannot see anything inside of the PSU case... I attached a recording of...
  7. lpallard

MariaDB optimization needed?

Hey guys. I'm posting here because the Software section of the forum seems to be more "entertainment" oriented.... @Mods please move my thread if needed. So I have this Centos database VM that needs to move to Rocky Linux due to Centos expiring in Dec 2021. I am using Proxmox 7 as...
  8. lpallard

Need Supermicro replacement parts, where to get for reasonable price

Hello guys, So it seems that a plethora of my fans and PSU decided to need replacement more or less at the same time and my girlfriend cant stand it anymore. So.... I need to replace the noisy stuff, until then, the entire rack is shutdown. :eek: Freenas server (Supermicro SC836 chassis): I...
  9. lpallard

Supermicro Server becoming unresponsive

Hello, I just have experienced something strange and quite worrisome with a Supermicro virtualization node (running Proxmox). What happened: Tried to access a web site served by one of the VM's running on that node. Browser says "Page cannot be found". Tried another site from a different VM...
  10. lpallard

Nvidia GPU passthrough not working with libvirt (KVM-QEMU)

Hello, I am testing KVM to be able to use a GPU inside of a Windows guest VM for CAD/Engineering applications on a future computer build. Before I commit on buying the parts (which will amount to perhaps over $3000USD), I thought to give it a go on my existing setup as a feasibility test and...
  11. lpallard

Time to replace power modules and PDB on SC836 chassis?

Hey guys, long time since I posted on STH! Recently one of my APC SMT750RM2U UPS started behaving in a weird manner. First of all I had to empty my SOHO for some remodelling. Upon relocating all equipment, I saw that the run-time on this UPS was < 1 min and battery was <10%... I wasn't sure...
  12. lpallard

ZFS storage server upgrade (pool capacity)

So I am contemplating an upgrade of my Freenas ZFS pool capacity by upgrading the hard drives to larger ones. Classic case but I am trying to do it as cheaply as possible without getting into reliability issues associated with refurbished/used drives. Some limitations: The chassis supports 16...
  13. lpallard

Clarifying the X9SCL, CPU and ECC ram compatiblity

Hey guys, I am trying to understand if this combination will work, and this is confusing: Supermicro X9SCL (Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9SCL) CPU Intel i3 3240 (Intel® Core™ i3-3240 Processor (3M Cache, 3.40 GHz) Specifications) Ram (not decided yet). The issue is...
  14. lpallard

Canada FS: Supermicro SC512L-200B with X9SCL (not -F)

Hello guys, First time posting in the "For Sale" thread. I am selling off, due to upgrades: $50Cad - Supermicro SC512 1U chassis with 200W power supply (brand new, not even dusty yet) Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 1U | SC512-200B $60Cad - Supermicro X9SCL (not the -F version, so this...
  15. lpallard

Server upgrade (swapping components around)

Hello there, so I am planning to upgrade my freenas server to better hardware to save electricity and improve performance. I currently use a Supermicro 836TQ-R710B chassis with 16 hard drive bays and redundant 710W PSU. Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 3U | SC836TQ-R710B Motherboard is...
  16. lpallard

High (somehow) performance SSD for Centos workstation

Hello guys! I have opted to post on this forum since in the past I received consistently good replies and feedback from STH members. This time I'm looking for recommendations for a high-performance SSD for a Centos workstation. I spent the better part of last night and the day before...
  17. lpallard

Supermicro CSE-512L-200B

Hi there! I am currently building a small network/server monitoring appliance using a second hand motherboard and a brand new Supermicro CSE-512L-200B 1U server chassis. The problem is with the motherboard connectors and chassis cables. The chassis power connector has 20 pins while the...
  18. lpallard

MegaRAID unsupported drive?

Hello all, Recently added a pair of used 15k600 (Hitachi's) on a ServeRAID M5016 and I was surprised to see that the drives were identified by the Web BIOS as "unsupported". Last year I had installed 2 15k600 on that controller without issues, ad configured them as RAID1 virtual drive. Apart...
  19. lpallard

SSD for MariaDB datastore

Im in need of a fast storage solution for a MariaDB datastore (DB storage volume) that is seeing anything between 10 & 1500 connections at any time (24/7). Reliability and data safety is paramount. Speed is important but knowing the current datastore resides on a pair of RAID1 15k600's...
  20. lpallard

help needed in finding a redundant PSU for a dual socket 4U server

Hey guys, long time no posting here! So I have been looking at replacing the power supply on my main virtualizatuion server for some time now and I would like to go for a redundant setup to reduce the potential downtime asssociated with failing PSU and especially to give me some time to...