Search results

1. muthur6k

Understanding Ram for Supermicro x8dti-f

Hi, I have bought myself a x8dti with 24GB Ram. According to the label inside it should be a x8dti-f, but looking at the specs the x8dti card with 4+ lan ports is x8dti-ln4f.. My card have 4+ lans.. I guess it's not all that important for ram choices as it seems they have the same ram spec...
  2. muthur6k

help buying new reliable fileserver/sas expander... 24/36/48 bay

Thanks, I rather pay more if I can avoid headaches later, sure. What source are you referring to? Does not look like Supermicro hava a 90 degree connector, and everything on ebay looks more or like the same imo. The server came with cbl-0281l-01 cables - do you know what that extra flat cable...
  3. muthur6k

EU FS: 35x Hynix 16gb PC3-14900R 1866MHz DDR3 ECC RAM Memory

Hi, I have a supermicro X8DTI motherboard (my thread), but I'm not sure if these will fit. I'm also unsure how DDR3 1.35V-1600 differs from DDR3 1600. From the manual I can only find 1333 support with 5600 cpu installed (I have 5620). Here's the link for my board, can you our someone smarter...
  4. muthur6k

Quick update: I didn't get the one I wanted, but it will work as a storage server only if vm's slows it down too much, but I think it will be just fine for my usage. Just starting it up for the first time was worth the price, so I will not complain. • (1) - SUPERMICRO CSE-847 36-BAY 4U CHASIS...
  5. muthur6k

Still good information to have. Now I know I can upgrade some of my drives to 10 or 12TB in my 4020 until I get the new one up and running. Thank you.
  6. muthur6k

I'm not sure I'm following.. (Image from the listing in my previous post) I can count 9 sas cables on this picture (there's one for each row of disks, right?): I would think I'd need one m1015 raid controller (2 ports), and one expander card (8 ports) to use this. Is it not so? Regarding...
  7. muthur6k

no longer getting email notices?

Strangely enough - I got alerted of your reply by mail. I did a test on a thread, and when unwatching and going back to watching 'no mail alert' was selected as default. Lets hope that was all. But I still don't get mail alerts on conversations. Automatically watch threads that you create or...
  8. muthur6k

no longer getting email notices?

I got the first 3 mails on june 23, but nothing since. The alerts shows here when logged in. I have been going through stuff at my end thinking the problem was here. Thunderbird warns that it think the mail are scams - perhaps because of the mandrillapp.com link in the mails. And of course I...
  9. muthur6k

I have no reason for needing anything - except a place for my files to call home. like this ebay listing? "Unit has SAS846A and SAS826A direct attach backplanes" My order of 4 x hp sas expanders and 4 x ibm m1015 cards arrived yesterday - it would be nice to be able to use them for something...
  10. muthur6k

Thank you - I will try to get a 1.2 board instead. I now see some of the boards I've looking at has been lower than 1.2, but most does not specify rev. I was hoping to buy a complete, working system to make it as easy as possible. I see that buying components could perhaps be easier on me. The...
  11. muthur6k

Had some downtime so lost two opportunities, just about to order a couple of cpus when the first server was sold - but came over this one: Supermicro 4U X9DR3-F 2x Xeon E5-2640 2.5ghz 8x 4gb 10600R 36-Bay SAS2-846EL1 As far as I can tell this looks good for my use - perhaps add some more...
  12. muthur6k

I was just thinking of what if I'd need to return it for some reason - I'm out another 1000 usd.. You are right, I should see if I'm able to find something closer to home. Found an expander in Norway for less than the shipping cost from USA...
  13. muthur6k

Thank you, Evan - I had a hard time finding any information on this subject.
  14. muthur6k

The server is going to be located in a rack in the basement, so the noise isn't of imidiate concern. I was thinking mirroring two and two drives and pool them.. I think. I might have forgotten what the plan was from the start. I need to get back into that once I'm finished with the hardware. The...
  15. muthur6k

First: I apologize for the long and poorly written post. I used two days on it, so my mind might have wandered a bit. tldr-ish: 1. Max drivesize is determined by the backplane, is that correct? If so - SAS2 doesn't support larger than 8TB? (example listing) 2. Am I limiting myself to much...