Search results

1. R

Thoughts on T-Mobile 5G Internet?

I’m fed up with Charter Spectrum making me jump through hoops to reduce my bill every year to a reasonable charge for the service provided. I have Spectrum at both my home and my office. I’m considering switching to AT&T fiber at my home, but I noticed the other day I’m able to pull 570/70...
  2. R

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

I had been excited about the Topton Jasper Lake Mini PC with Quad i225V NICs to use as a new pfSense router, so I ordered one on April 7th, 2022. The mini PC is also available under the KingNovy brand, and various other random reseller brands. Due to supply chain constraints of the Intel N6005...
  3. R

Storage Strategy for Large Plex Libraries

I’d like to gather some insights from those with experience managing large media libraries that are exposed by a unified media server, specifically pertaining to Plex/Emby. I’d also appreciate any insights on types of setups that may be adjacent to this idea. I rapidly filled up about 70 TB of...
  4. R

New Router Suggestions (Multi-Gig/10 GbE)

I started off my work day today with my entire network going down. Checked my pFSense physical console and it was still on/not throwing any errors but the web GUI was no longer responding. The display out was still fine but once at the keys, it was clear the output was frozen. Quick reboot. Oh...
  5. R

Proxmox shared pass through Quadro to multiple VM

I got into Proxmox recently with my TMM. I’m able to pass through a Quadro P1000 fine to a Debian VM, though it would be nice to share the GPU with more than one VM. I recall this can be done with Quadro, and GeForce (with hacked configuration) using nVidia vGPU. I’m having the darnest time...
  6. R

Ideas to do a quieter Sonarr/Radarr setup

I purchased a Synology DS1821+ a year ago but only had the chance to set it up recently. It is stuffed with 18 TB EXOS drives backed by 2 x 2 TB non-enterprise NVMe cache, with the RAM maxed out to 32 GB. Synology’s caching seems a bit janky tbh so I have mine set up as read only. Docker is...
  7. R

ASRock Rack W480D4U W-1200

Surprised no one posted about this yet. ASRock Rack shared a press release about their upcoming W480D4U board. This is a W-1200 series workstation board, but it also has a BMC (ASPEED AST2500). Quick visual look since details are a bit thin at this point has the W480D4U looking quite similar to...
  8. R

Fractal Design Define 7 / 7 XL for Desktop Form Factor Storage Chassis

Fractal Design just dropped their new Define 7 / 7 XL. Tbh I was a bit surprised, didn't see this coming since didn't see any announcements from Fractal Design during CES 2020 regarding the Define series update. In particular, the Define XL hasn't been updated in years (since the last XL based...
  9. R

Mini/Mid Tower Chassis Recommendation: 16 x 2.5" SATA/SAS2

This will be for a virtualization build sitting next to my workstation in my office, so rackmount is not ideal. Needs: Minimum mATX support, ATX is fine Somewhat compact volume 16 x 2.5" SATA/SAS2 backplane (I'm fine with 5.25" bay adapters) I'm likely going to be running SATA SSDs here...
  10. R

Recommendation for Reliable and Cheap Domain Registrars?

I've been using GoDaddy for years now, but I'm finally fed up with their shoddy website and seemingly high prices. They seem to add on services, change services or tiers, etc without proper notification. I can't complain about their customer service, which is nice and gracious, but really I...
  11. R

Business Ethics With Application of Emergent Technologies

With the advent of emergent technologies such as artificial intelligence, augmented reality, machine learning, etc., there's been a big debate across the industry about the morality and ethics of its application. Of course, these technologies have existed in nascent form for years, but it's...
  12. R

What does everyone do with old hardware?

I recently decommissioned my two old workstations and have no idea what to do with them now since I prefer to buy new/relatively recent hardware. I considered running Proxmox or ESXi but would rather buy new hardware for that purpose. The two systems I have are Sandy Bridge, i7-2600k and...
  13. R

Changing Username

Patrick, or any admin: If you have time, can my username be kindly changed from "hoankiem" to "ReturnedSword"? Many thanks ahead of time :)
  14. R

BMC/IPMI Best Practices

Here's a subject that I'm only obliquely exposed to at work, that seems to be in major discussion in light of recent events (i.e. Bloomberg Businessweek Supermicro story). I'm in the slow process of redoing my home lab, mostly downsizing/consolidating to fewer systems. Currently I manage each...
  15. R

Mirror: Storage Spaces, AMD 400 series RAID Performance

I'm completing out my new Ryzen 2 build, and will be picking up 2x 8TB drive drives sometime this week. As my storage strategy will be shifting to local/DAS storage to FreeNAS sometime soon, I'm considering mirroring my local bulk storage drives. It will be mirrored only. Does anyone have...
  16. R

X550-T1 in PCIe 2.0 x4: Does it run at 10 GbE?

The Intel X550-T1 specification states it uses a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot, however in my new PC (Ryzen 2700X), I'd like to use it in the PCIe 2.0 x4 slot if possible. The NIC should be backwards compatible with earlier revisions of PCIe. PCIe 3.0 x4: 3.94 GB/s - 31.52 Gb/s PCIe 2.0 x4: 2 GB/s - 16...
  17. R

Future FreeNAS platform considerations (Intel Xeon E vs Xeon v6)

I'm planning to build a FreeNAS in the near future (possibly around November/December). I would very much like to use an AMD based platform, but there seem to be some issues with Zen support even 18 months after it was released. Specifically I would like to use ECC RAM, and don't prefer to...