Search results

1. R

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

This is great. The JMicron SATA controller probably should have a small heat sink applied to it though as they can get somewhat toasty under load if naked. This board would be a great match for a Jonsbo N1 chassis, though I don’t love the shoebox form factor of that particular chassis.
  2. R

Exactly this. Take for example, a high end socketed passive heatsink: Noctua NH-P1. The P1 is the absolute best socketed passive heatsink on the market today, yet it cannot handle 65W CPUs once the CPU enters turbo state for an extended period of time, much less higher turbo state levels. In...
  3. R

Supposedly Alder Lake-N is incoming, according to FanlessTech: Hey, it might be available in less than a year after it was soft-announced, unlike Jasper Lake which took well over a year from announcement to availability. If I can get 8 Gracemont cores with a better iGPU, that would be perfect...
  4. R

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

I had a quick poke around for thermal tape, however it seems most of it is actually thermal insulation tape. Then there’s silicone thermal pads, but those are mostly for heatsinks where the heatsink uses a retention mechanism (such as NVMe heatsinks). Will keep looking.
  5. R

Thermal transfer tape and sticking the bare SSD to the chassis panel would be an option too, which would solve an issue with the drive dangling loose inside.
  6. R

That’s great to hear! I had bought 12 x SK Hynix S31 drives a few years back for a project idea that I never got around to. I’ll give this a try after buying the SATA cable!
  7. R

MITX PC usually charges a lot of money for basically being a drop ship service, at least for most of their motherboard offerings. I expect the eventual barebones kit from Jetway (custom chassis with I/O outs for the additional headers) to cost about $350. Jetway is a solid Taiwan based tier-2...
  8. R

Instead of using a “half slim” SSD, any thoughts on removing the drive case off of a modern 2.5” SATA SSD, let’s say a SK Hynix S31? The naked drive within is about the same size as a half slim drive, and easier to source than old half slim drives. Would there be any issue with overheating (I’ve...
  9. R

@oneplane Check this new board out from Jetway IPC. It can be ordered already. Jetway IPC MI05-0XK Elkhart Lake J6412 fanless Thin-ITX https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?id=4474 6 x i225 1 x SODIMM 1 x M.2 M key 2242 x2 1 x M.2 E key 2230 1 x M.2 B key 3042 (cellular card) 1 x SATA...
  10. R

Thoughts on T-Mobile 5G Internet?

The importance of being able to port forward probably isn’t as important nowadays, as that will open up ports on the public interface and increase the attack surface. I think I’ll be just fine with VPN for anything remote. I’m more concerned with consistency of downstream/upstream and latency...
  11. R

Great work! This looks amazing. The loss of the VESA mount probably won’t make a big difference, though it’s nice to mount these types of appliances vertically (not on a monitor) depending on network closet configuration.
  12. R

Thoughts on T-Mobile 5G Internet?

I’m fed up with Charter Spectrum making me jump through hoops to reduce my bill every year to a reasonable charge for the service provided. I have Spectrum at both my home and my office. I’m considering switching to AT&T fiber at my home, but I noticed the other day I’m able to pull 570/70...
  13. R

I would not get that model (X2C). As I shared about my observations before, the “fat” chassis can barely handle a N5105 at load, and N6005 overwhelms the chassis. The X2C seems to be a cost optimized “V3” with a cheaper chassis because after all metal costs money. Topton confirmed this is to...
  14. R

Topton asked me to advertise this model the other week before it was even posted onto their store. It seems some customers have already gotten it since the This is the new X6A model with Tiger Lake support and using a new chassis revision. I told them declined as I will not blindly recommend...
  15. R

This is concerning as currently I’m waiting for the X6 N6005 to come back in stock for Topton to swap me. I believe @Patrick bought the X6 as well but he probably doesn’t have time to test it yet. Both the N5105 and N6005 have the same thermal design spec, however the N6005 should run hotter...
  16. R

Not good. This is the X6 N6005 right? This is the unit Topton said they will upgrade me to to replace my X4A N6005 “V1.” I had a discussion with Topton about thermal loading, and they were insistent that they test every model thoroughly. Maybe by testing the units were turned on? :p My...
  17. R

How I Got Scammed on an EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090

GamersNexus still has great written reviews, but it has been more and more sparse. I cannot handle listening to video content, especially when the interest is in monetization foremost. With their Newegg situation, it obviously started with a mistake on Newegg's side, then miscommunication all...
  18. R

I’m starting to think that most of the “main sellers” (Topton, KingNovy, Honor Box) are all Topton :p They all respond the same, with the same phrases, and use the same descriptions.
  19. R

Routers: AliExpress vs. Protectli vs. Netgate vs. OPNsense Hardware

I suspect Dr. Su had to make some tough choices when she took over to right the sinking ship of AMD. GPUs being the big line item here, which caused an exodus of ex-ATI staff to Intel who felt their chance of recapturing their old hey-days was snatched away being an example. Dr. Su had to focus...
  20. R

Routers: AliExpress vs. Protectli vs. Netgate vs. OPNsense Hardware

In general this is true and you’re quite correct. However symmetrical fiber is increasingly available, and DOCSIS 4.0 is around the corner (in both implementations). Supermicro is basically the only large volume white box OEM left that has their own in-house ODM, so I’m sure they can more than...