Search results

1. W

Asrockrack X470D4U and zen3 / Ryzen 5900X support

Yeah this beta bios made me consider upgrading to ryzen 3 as my x470d4u has been running a 1700 since I got it.. instead I decided to just play it stable, and went with a 3900x.
  2. W

Cheapest narrow ilm heatsink/fan? Can I use the passive heatsink only?

If you own any Noctua coolers and still have the original receipt, then they'll honour their promise to provide other mount plates for free. I got them to ship me a set of narrow ILM mounting brackets for my old Noctua NH12 for free (I looked up the part numbers for the brackets to make sure...
  3. W

And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

I've ordered one.. now the wait begins for Aussie distributor stock to come through. I'll probably put a Ryzen 3700(X) in it.. 12 cores with a 4GHz+ clock is great, and my dual E5-2680v2 will get sold off in pieces, as the ryzen will use less than half the idle power, and have better...
  4. W

Page 2 of the manual says "DIMM Size Per DIMM- ECC/UDIMM: 64GB, 32GB, 16GB, 8GB" Therefore I'm pretty sure the spec on the web page just means "support for up to 64GB DIMM's" and not "max of 64GB for the board", but agree its a little opaque, so first movers will have to eat that risk that it...
  5. W

Just found out about this board in my habitual few-monthly google for "ryzen ipmi". Seems like we're finally getting close. This is almost "shut up and take my money".. my only concern is memory. Reading the manual, it appears for running 4 DIMM's, you need single-rank to hit 2133MHz, which...
  6. W

LSI 9270-8i IT mode

Another data point.. IBM M5110 (2208 card) apparently flashes using 2308 firmware too... Comment yesterday from Nathan on my write-up: Flashing LSI 2208 with IT firmware to use as an HBA - My Wired House And tweet confirming.. Nathan Buck on Twitter
  7. W

New dual E5-2690 build, motherboard questions

I've got an X9DRH-7F with onboard 2208 - which I've flashed with 2308 IT firmware so it works as an HBA (see this thread: LSI 9270-8i IT mode ). However - its a very not-supported setup, so unless you get a Supermicro with onboard 2208 very cheap, I'd just buy a decent PCIe 3.0 LSI2308 based...
  8. W

Best 2011 narrow ILM heatsink?

For anyone who needs to order them - you need to ask the support email team directly for the narrow bracket kit, which is brackets NM-XFB4 and NM-XFB5 (each bracket pair will mount the cooler in one orientation only).
  9. W

Best 2011 narrow ILM heatsink?

I almost bought a couple of the SNK-P0050AP4 - but ended up with Noctua coolers.. If you already have some Noctua coolers, then thanks to Noctua's policy of providing free mount kits to people who can prove purchase of both motherboard and older Noctua coolers - you just have to specifically...
  10. W

LSI 9270-8i IT mode

Which version of sas2flsh.exe did you try with the 9260? I've found different versions work with different cards.. it might be worth trying something designed to work with a PCIe 2.0 card like the 9210-8i, from a really old firmware version (e.g. sas2flsh.exe from P12 firmware or earlier)...
  11. W

LSI 9270-8i IT mode

Awesome - I didn't have a speaker as mine is onboard on my supermicro motherboard so no screaming on my end. Really interesting that it works on your card tho' - its a retail LSI card rather than a Dell/HP/licensee version? Did your 9270 card end up with an identity crisis and show as a 2308...
  12. W

X5650 for $17

If you don't need to overclock (i.e. X58), then you can get a server board. Tyan S7012 are cheap enough.. $100 shipped for a dual-1366 board. I ran one for the last 12 months with dual X5660 in it and 96GB of RAM (I had 144GB RAM in it at one point.. 18 ddr3 slots). They have IPMI and TPM...
  13. W

Supermicro EE-ATX in Fractal Define XL R1

Thanks MortenB! Was wondering whether EE-ATX would fit - I have a Define XL which I've had an EEB Tyan board in for a year and noticed there was a good bit of space above the IO shield area which might fit the extra width. I already have a 6-32 tap so adding more screw holes for additional...
  14. W

LSI 9270-8i IT mode

I did just notice the 2108 has a PCIe 2.0 interface, and not PCIe 3.0 like the 2208/2308 - which may prove a challenge, so please don't give this a shot unless you're 100% prepared to risk a bricked card.
  15. W

LSI 9270-8i IT mode

Cool, I figured the filenames would be enough to track them down. There are multiple versions of the mega* tools - I had at least 3 versions of megarec.exe sitting around on my file server where I keep old stuff, and 2 of them didn't recognise the card - but thats par for flashing LSI devices...
  16. W

LSI 9270-8i IT mode

Here's a first pass at documenting what I did.. Flashing LSI 2208 with IT firmware to use as an HBA - My Wired House
  17. W

LSI 9270-8i IT mode

2108 looks like it may work too - same Powerpc 440 chip @ 800MHz as the 2308 (2208 is a dual-core version of same). However - there is a risk that it'll brick the card. Note that I've not tested this extensively - only a sample of a single 2208 onboard LSI on my supermicro motherboard :)...
  18. W

LSI 9270-8i IT mode

I was surprised it works - seems to have no issues, but I'll be doing some extensive soak tests to verify, as well as using it for VM OS drives rather than data I want to keep :) I do note that the 2208 and 2308 share the powerpc architecture (altho' 2208 has much more processor grunt), but...
  19. W

Supermicro X9DRH-7F - SBR and SPD

Looks like the backup I had was the right one.. between that and the STH thread linked below, I have a working controller again: Is there a way to restore an LSI 2208 after firmware update failure? Have flashed with the latest version of the Supermicro 2208 firmware found here...
  20. W

Supermicro X9DRH-7F - SBR and SPD

Hopefully someone can help me - playing around with flashing my onboard LSI 2208 on my X9DRH-7F and currently getting the dread message "F/W is in Fault State - MFI Register State 0xF0010002". I'm unsure whether I've still got the correct SBR file (I have one called BACKUP.SBR I made, but may...