Search results

1. W

ESXi free 8.0 seems to be the last one !

eh, no. xcp-ng is like running the “gateway drug” version of xenserver, which in itself is infected with multiple layers of Citrix-ness. i mean, Citrix can be “fun” if you are an admin or partner with a free license pool to play with (xenapp and xendesktop isn’t a bad idea per-se) , but you...
  2. W

[JP yahoo auctions] NOT SPECIFIC DEAL switches, firewalls, etc potentially cheap, shipping from JP unknown

Probably Yamato Transport's Takubin service. Although...you will need to hit up their English hotline and ask for details.
  3. W

NEW HP T640 Thin Client Ryzen R1505G 4GB 16GF - NO KB/MOUSE, NO OS INSTALLED - $109

Yep. You also can't force the functionality via linux module options - the ECC RAM will function, just not with parity checking/corrections.
  4. W

[JP yahoo auctions] NOT SPECIFIC DEAL switches, firewalls, etc potentially cheap, shipping from JP unknown

Hmmmm...yep. I am somewhat impartial to Buyee (Rakuten's proxy shipping services) when it came to retro gadgets from Japan - once you factor in the transfer fee, customs numbers and the shipping costs...well, it can add up quick. A large chunk of the perceived savings might have to do with the...
  5. W

Stupid question regarding switches with 2x 10GB ports. What about an uplink?

The 2 SFP ports are the backhaul ports. The idea is that the distribution layer is 1/2.5 and your backhaul uplink/downlink is 2.5 or 10. If you run singlemode fiber (with the correct optical module for 2.5/5/10/whatever) from your upstream router / top of rack switch to your 10 port switch...
  6. W

NEW HP T640 Thin Client Ryzen R1505G 4GB 16GF - NO KB/MOUSE, NO OS INSTALLED - $109

Great discovery - I have been using the t640 as a troubleshooting box for NVMe/SATA builds where all it needs is a good USB-C dock/monitor and a solid keyboard/mouse connected to the dock. The fact that it’s USB-PD and cheaper-than-a-Pi4 makes it almost a no-brainer. Oh yeah, it's straight...
  7. W

No, mine came with the PD cable already. Although it would be interesting to measure the connector using a caliper set to see if it's really JST-SH 1mm pitch.
  8. W

(US) HP t740 thin client, 270 USD + 18 USD shipping

It totally is. Raven Ridge family APUs can't pass Win11 compliance, so if you need Win11 Embedded/LTSC 2024, well, you'll need new hardware, like the t755 Elite thin client with their Zen2 based cores. That being said, I am not sure if the t755 are even getting to the channel partners yet, so...
  9. W

PC for Proxmox / Backups

It's basically the same as the CWWK that @Patrick reviewed in Q3 '23 - it's 8 Alder Lake (Gracemount) e-Cores, a single DDR4 SODIMM slot maxing out at 32GB (single channel bandwidth though) and whatever SSD(s) you cram into the system. As a backup server it's probably overkill, and for...
  10. W

Introduction to the HP Elite t655 Thin client - a cheap "lower power" AMD NUC from the suits at HP

WANg submitted a new resource: Introduction to the HP Elite t655 Thin client - your cheap little AMD NUC alternative - Might be a good toy to play with once the pricing starts to drop... Read more about this resource...
  11. W

Introduction to the HP Elite t655 Thin client - a cheap "lower power" AMD NUC from the suits at HP

Welcome to the short and succint guide to the HP Elite 655 thin client (And yes, this is just a rewrite of the t640 guide...and no, I don't have a t655...yet) So why should you care (as a home labber)? It's a small-ish thin client, roughly 196mm W x 196mm H x 35 mm D , ~1.35 Liters, released...
  12. W

HP Microserver Gen 10 Plus Raid help

Eh, when dealing with the new "f-you-pay-me" HPe? Just assume that if you didn't pay for the entitlements, it won't work, or it's feature locked behind a BIOS whitelist or a paywall. My guess is that you'll need to get a new RAID card and it'll not be an easy drop-in. You'll probably need...
  13. W

Tiny/Mini/Micro PC experiences

What's the iGPU RAM reservation set to? If I remember correctly the t740 thin clients (with the Raven Ridge V1756B) can reserve up to 2GB of RAM to use as virtual VRAM, and Lenovo ThinkCentres and ThinkPads can modify their BIOS settings to set a large (4GB) reservation window as well. That can...
  14. W

Fujitsu Futro S920 Thin Client as opnsense firewall

Try a different drive? Also, is it supposed to boot secureboot or legacy/BIOS?
  15. W

HP Elitedesk 705 G5 mini experiences

The 3400G is a Zen+, which is a minor (very minor) revision of Raven Ridge. The memory controller went from a max of DDR4-2666 (333Mhz x 8) to DDR4-2933 (366MHz x 8), so if your RAM is DDR4-3200 (400MHz x 8) and can't back down to 366 MHz memory clock speed, well, it'll default to 2400 (300MHz)...
  16. W

HP T740 Nvidia GPU success

Well, there is a substantial microarch improvement going from Raven Ridge (what the V1756B is, essentially) to Renoir (what the V2546 is), although I got the distinctive feeling that HP was dragged kicking and screaming into upgrading it to a V2000 simply because of Win11. Would be nice if...
  17. W

HP T740 Nvidia GPU success

The HP Elite t755 (the t740 successor) will receive the Radeon RX6300, which is supposed to be the drop-up replacement for the E9173 in the t740, and that's projected to run roughly similar to the GTX1650 at ~30 watts (probably about right - it's essentially a half-bandwidth, half-RAM RX6400)...
  18. W

500 MHz Socket 7 NAS - How far can it go?

In case you want a reference on the power consumption figures, my Cobalt Qube3 Pro (basically a K6-3+/450MHz ACZ stepping Socket 7 setup with a pair of 512MB PC100/133 RAM, a 8GB industrial SSD, a Silicon Logic SATA adapter, 2 NatSemi McPhyter FastE NICs) idles at 15w measured directly off the...
  19. W

500 MHz Socket 7 NAS - How far can it go?

Well, you can save a little more power if you enable powernowd and set up the governor for ondemand (so it clocks back to 200Mhz when the machine is on idle). Also, depending on your case design you can also use a K6-2E+/3E+ (the embedded variant of the Sharptooth K6-3 which is more tolerant of...
  20. W

HP t755 Elite Thin Client announced

So yeah, HP just announced the t755 Elite, which will be the successor for the t740. HP's not known for keeping mum on the specs since most info were previously leaked from Igel, TCO and HDCP certification (where we learned that it's called the Inventec Puffin) So what's the highlights? Ryzen...