Search results

1. L

AOC noob questions

I have experience with 10G SFP+ and 100G QSFP28 passive DAC cables but have absolutely no experience with optical cables. I need to connect one ConnectX-5 Ethernet card to another (both have 100G QSFP28 ports) but I believe the systems are too far apart (approx 10 meters) for passive DAC...
  2. L

Removing DIMMs from slots with only one clasp / retention clip

Until this week, every motherboard I've encountered has DIMM slots with two clasps (one on each end). Removing DIMMs is pretty easy because pressing on the two clasps usually releases the DIMM on both ends. I just encountered my first motherboard where the DIMM slots only have a single clasp...
  3. L

New Build - Windows 11 TR Pro / EPYC Workstation

I'm looking to build my first workstation in 8 years (currently on Supermicro X9SRE-F / E5-1650). My key goals are very good performance (prefer more GHz over more cores) but relatively quiet. Supermicro M12SWA-TF or H12SSL-NT Threadripper PRO 5955WX or EPYC 7343 Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 CPU...
  4. L

Supermicro M12SWA-TF PCH fan noise

Rumor has it the Supermicro M12SWA-TF PCH fan is really noisy. Has anyone found any good solutions for this? Can the fan be swapped with a Noctua? Or maybe use the existing fan with an LNA resistor to slow it down a bit and rely on good case cooling? Thanks!
  5. L

Threadripper PRO 5000WX idle power consumption

What kind of idle power consumption are people seeing with these procs? In case it helps, I'm likely pairing the 5955WX with a Supermicro M12SWA-TF on a new Windows 11 workstation build. How would this compare (in terms of idle power consumption) with an EPYC 7313 or 7343 with a Supermicro...
  6. L

iSCSI ZFS block storage options for ESXi with RDMA / RoCE / iSER support

I'm currently using FreeNAS for iSCSI ZFS block storage for my ESXi server. The FreeNAS box is getting old so I'm looking for a replacement. I'm not currently using any of the other FreeNAS features besides ZFS and iSCSI. I was initially planning to upgrade the FreeNAS box to TrueNAS Core or...
  7. L

SAS3008 management tools on ESXi

I have a Supermicro X10 server running ESXi 6.x that has an onboard SAS3008 chip. I used the SAS3008 to set up a RAID 1 of two SATA SSDs for the ESXi boot disk. I have two interesting problems with the LSI/Avago/Broadcom management software: 1) The "lsiprovider" SMIS provider version...
  8. L

Tuning ESXi 6.5 (and above) for 100 GbE networking

I just got my first 100G network set up last night with two Connect-X 5 cards connecting my TrueNAS box to my ESXi 6.5 box. Out of the box, it works acceptably (80 Gbits/sec via iperf2). I've seen some articles that cover tweaks that can be made on the TrueNAS (FreeBSD) side to bring down CPU...
  9. L

Mellanox (NVIDIA) NIC reliability & support contracts

I generally buy Intel NICs but am looking to buy some ConnectX-5 NICs (new, not EBay) for the first time for use in a new TrueNAS box. While the Intel NICs have "limited lifetime" warranties and unlimited access to firmware/software updates, it appears the ConnectX cards only have a 1 year...
  10. L

H12SSL-NT: Intel X710-DA4 card works in X16 slots but not X8 slots

I have a known good Intel X710-DA4 10G ethernet card. This is a PCIe 3.0 X8 card. I plugged this card into the H12SSL-NT motherboard and it works on all 3 X16 slots I tried but not in either of the X8 slots. In slots 1, 3 and 5 (all X16), the BIOS will fully make it through POST and the card...
  11. L

How to update Supermicro BIOS and IPMI on H12SSL-NT

I'm looking to update the BIOS and IPMI on my H12SSL-NT via the IPMI web interface but am unclear on a few details: 1) Should I update IPMI (BMC) first or BIOS first? 2) When updating IPMI, what are the current recommendations on the "Preserve Configuration", "Preserve SDR" and "Preserve SSL...
  12. L

H12SSL-CT/NT onboard Broadcom 10GbE NIC - typical temps?

What kind of temps are people seeing for the onboard Broadcom 57416 10GbE NIC? I just powered up a H12SSL-NT motherboard for the first time and the MB_10G_LAN sensor is reading 62-64 C. Is this typical? This is with an open case and no fan pointing at the onboard NIC's heatsink. The system...
  13. L

Benchmarking SSDs - what tools do you use?

As part of my testing/burn-in of recently acquired SSDs, I like to run some benchmarks like CrystalDiskMark and Iometer. If the results are reasonable and a post-test SMART check with CrystalDiskInfo doesn't flag anything obvious, I put the SSD into production. I'm new to NVMe SSDs and got...
  14. L

P4801X NVMe secure erase - how long should it take?

I just ran a Secure Erase command on a P4801X 100 GB NVMe SSD. I was surprised that it took close to 3 minutes with both Parted Magic's utility and the Intel Memory and Storage Tool. Both tools reported success. Does it usually take this long? Thanks in advance!
  15. L

New to AMD processors - how to buy EPYC Rome?

I've built several Intel servers but am now looking to build my first server using an AMD proc (EPYC Rome to be specific): 1) Is there any difference between box vs tray (ie, warranty)? 2) What's the scoop on the HPE kits I see on Provantage? Can these be used on Supermicro motherboards? 3)...
  16. L

PCIe Gen 4 bifurcation risers and NVMe SSDs

Has anyone tried hooking up NVMe SSDs to something like this? Or is a retimer required with PCIe Gen 4? http://www.ioi.com.tw/products/proddetail.aspx?CatID=106&DeviceID=3050&HostID=2108&ProdID=1060249
  17. L

Supermicro H12SSL-i / H12SSL-NT SlimSAS x8 ports & U.2 SSDs

Has anyone connected one of these ports to a U.2 SSD directly (no backplane)? If so, which cable did you use? Thanks!
  18. L

Any downside to buying Intel SSDs via Supermicro?

I'm looking to buy some Intel data center SSDs from Wiredzone, who gets them from Supermicro. According to Wiredzone, these are stock Intel SSDs with Intel firmware. The only difference is that I'd have to go through Wiredzone (who presumably goes to Supermicro) for any support/warranty...
  19. L

Power consumption of U.2 NVMe drives

I'm looking to move from SATA SSDs to U.2 NVMe SSDs and am curious about the power consumption (and cooling). For example, Intel specs their P4510 4TB NVMe drive at 5W idle / 14W active. In comparison, Intel specs their S4610 3.84TB SATA drive at 1.1W idle / 3.7W active. I totally get that...
  20. L

Intel D7-P5510 now in stock

The Intel D7-P5510 SSD is now in stock at Provantage, CompSource and probably others. Pricing on the 3.84 TB model is roughly $100 more than the equivalent P4510 model. Has anyone tried one out yet?