Search results

1. L

AOC noob questions

Hi @DavidWJohnston -- Thank you VERY much for the detailed response. I'm going to give it a whirl! BTW, is this stuff (optical cables) as fragile as I hear it is?
  2. L

AOC noob questions

I have experience with 10G SFP+ and 100G QSFP28 passive DAC cables but have absolutely no experience with optical cables. I need to connect one ConnectX-5 Ethernet card to another (both have 100G QSFP28 ports) but I believe the systems are too far apart (approx 10 meters) for passive DAC...
  3. L

Removing DIMMs from slots with only one clasp / retention clip

I suspect YMMV is at play here, specifically tolerances. The Samsung DIMMs that just went into these sockets were pretty snug going in so either they're a teeny bit too large or the slots are a teeny bit too small. Or both. Plus the memory and board are both brand new. Over time, I suspect...
  4. L

Maybe they're in cahoots with the memory vendors thinking a few broken DIMMs / slots will net them a bit more revenue? :p But seriously, I had to remove 8 DIMMs from single clasp slots last night and got the hang of it. However, it definitely more difficult / dicey than the slots with 2 clasps.
  5. L

That seems like a good reason. I can't think of any other benefit. But in the case of this particular motherboard (Supermicro M12SWA-TF), there's ample space to use clasps on both sides.
  6. L

Thanks everyone for the tips. The DIMMS and slots are both very new so they're very snug. I'm guessing after an insertion/removal cycle, they'll be a bit less challenging.
  7. L

Until this week, every motherboard I've encountered has DIMM slots with two clasps (one on each end). Removing DIMMs is pretty easy because pressing on the two clasps usually releases the DIMM on both ends. I just encountered my first motherboard where the DIMM slots only have a single clasp...
  8. L

New Build - Windows 11 TR Pro / EPYC Workstation

Good to know. It sounds like I'm in the ballpark with a 1000W PSU. While it's tempting to oversize this, I know that PSU efficiency isn't very good if you lightly load a big PSU. 3000 RPMs? I take it that box isn't in the same room as you? :p
  9. L

Does anyone have any thoughts on #1 (PSU size) or #2 (2nd fan on heatsink) above? I'd definitely appreciate some quick guidance on #1 as PSUs are getting harder to find.
  10. L

Threadripper PRO 5000WX idle power consumption

Good to know. Would you mind sharing which one? I'm totally confused about Supermicro's "without provisioning" vs "client-side" vs "server-side" options. Their manual seems to indicate "server" vs "client" is dictated by whether or not you're using a server-class proc or desktop proc...
  11. L

BTW, did you have to do anything special with TPM to get Win 11 working on H12SSL? I'm not sure if EPYC chips have fTPM or if a discrete TPM module is needed?
  12. L

I'm looking to build my first workstation in 8 years (currently on Supermicro X9SRE-F / E5-1650). My key goals are very good performance (prefer more GHz over more cores) but relatively quiet. Supermicro M12SWA-TF or H12SSL-NT Threadripper PRO 5955WX or EPYC 7343 Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 CPU...
  13. L

Thank you! This is really helpful. So subtracting roughly 25W, your 120W becomes 95W. That's really good the for 3975WX. Can I assume similar equipment (besides the newer CPU & overclocked memory) for the 200W estimate? If so, the 5975WX setup is sitting at 175W. Definitely not as nice as...
  14. L

Supermicro AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro Launch

Got it. Thanks! Its possible the guy on the video was mistaken or it was removed in a subsequent IPMI rev.
  15. L

Supermicro M12SWA-TF PCH fan noise

Either that or you have a fixed speed fan that maybe runs a bit slower than the stock one to cut down on the noise while keeping the temps within the acceptable range. But with that tiny fan, its possible it really needs those high RPMs to move enough air. It's definitely a trade-off that...
  16. L

Agreed. I think they were too concerned with blocking two PCIe slots. But I have some short cards that wouldn't be bothered by that. BTW - I initially thought this was a flat heatsink with a normal fan on top of it but I saw a close-up that indicates that this heatsink has a cutout that the...
  17. L

I haven't seen that post (would you happen to have a link?) but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable running that PCH completely fanless. If the mobo can't lower the voltage, a 3 pin fan controller like this one + good case cooling might do the trick. But slowing down the fan might trigger a BIOS...
  18. L

I believe 3 pin fans can be slowed down if the motherboard can lower the voltage it supplies to the header. However, my understanding is that most motherboards don't do this and instead rely on PWM (4 pins). And zooming on the photo, it appears the PCH_FAN header is a 4 pin header (but the fan...