Search results

1. O

Cisco VIC network card in standard PCI-E

You should be able to register on Cisco's website for the downloads. None of the UCS stuff requires a support contract to download, just an account. Each driver file is 4-6GB, they're bundles. Which cards did you purchase?
  2. O

Optane P4800X 1.5TB - $629 - 0 hours

Seems like a decent deal on the face of it. Seller accepted $500 apiece when I purchased 4x. 1.5TB INTEL Optane SSD Series DC D4800X 2.5in SSDPD21K015TAR SSDPD21K015TA | eBay
  3. O

Pure Storage FlashBlade gets the QLC S Treatment

Is there a CPU in each blade? Are these just for pooling the storage internally or can users run VM's on these things?
  4. O

AVOID - 4U, 2x Node, 4x E5 V3/V4, 56x LFF SAS3 3.5" bay - $299 - CISCO UCS C3260

I should have mentioned, you can download the FRU list on Cisco's support website. You just need an account, nothing else. It's called the Cisco Capabilities Catalog.
  5. O

AVOID - 4U, 2x Node, 4x E5 V3/V4, 56x LFF SAS3 3.5" bay - $299 - CISCO UCS C3260

There is a list of Cisco FRU's. I have no idea what FRU stands for, factory recognized unit maybe? It's a list of hardware that Cisco will recognize, it doesn't matter if it's a Cisco SKU or not. If it's on that list it's "official". Outside of that these things will run with anything...
  6. O

I don't know where this stuff is setup in CIMC. We use UCS Manager and there is a fan policy that can be set to a service profile that is then applied to the server. I believe all of the same options are available via CIMC, but I don't really know. Maybe it's just the M5's with that option in...
  7. O

I'm not sure the firmware is Cisco specific. We have purchased after-market parts that are the same model but HPE or Dell branding and Cisco picks up the SKU and thinks it's a Cisco part. When using UCS Manager there is a compatibility catalog that has every part Cisco can 'see'. In my...
  8. O

If the NVMe firmware is up to date via the OS then update CIMC. There was an issue with M5 boards where below a certain version if a non-Cisco piece of hardware was detected it would ramp the fans. They fixed that bug and you can now turn them down. I was the one with the NVMe firmware. I'm...
  9. O

We're running 2x E5-2680v4 chips with a TDP in ours, no issues at all. It's in a datacenter, so it's kept consistently cool.
  10. O

You need to put the SIOC in trunk mode, if there is a virtual NIC with a vlan the link won't come up. Then trunk the other side. These will work fine without a fabric interconnect. We have a single node in ours. The SIOC's are configured for failover. We've run Cisco servers for a LONG time...
  11. O

Strange, I've never seen that. What happens when you connect via the serial port? Can you navigate around? Maybe reset via serial?
  12. O

These are loaded with custom BIOS's and to get to all the advanced features you need to use their tool to access it. The way these are supposed to be managed is with something called UCS Manager. It's a central management platform where you can template out bios profiles and boot profiles and...
  13. O

Seems like you need to start over with this. On the SIOC there is a 1GbE ethernet port. Plug that into a switch that has dhcp, make sure the link comes up. Then use your browser to hit the IP assigned. If the username/password aren't default then boot the server with the kvm. When it gets...
  14. O

Regarding drivers. Cisco bundles all of their drivers together. So it's all supported hardware in a giant zip for all versions of Linux they support.
  15. O

Yeah, it's built into the server. Just plug the management port into a switch and go to the DHCP assigned IP, if there's a static IP you can reset it. Default password is something like "admin" "Cisco1234". Management is on the SOIC module. You can manage multiple of these with fabric...
  16. O

In the server node there is one or two U.2 drive connections. If you install the expander node you get another two U.2 drives and two PCI slots. In theory you could have four U.2 drives and then 2 HHHL NVMe cards as well for six total NVMe drives. Everything else is 12Gbps. There are some...
  17. O

You can set the disk to JBOD mode and it's passed straight through to the OS. You can mix them as well, we have some with RAID on a few drives and then JBOD for others. No issues.
  18. O

In terms of noise, if you have 'supported' hardware and the firmware is up to date these are very quiet. I had an NVMe drive with out of date firmware and it caused the fans to ramp. Look in CIMC at the logs and you'll see why it isn't quiet. Ours are in a DC and around 40db, but with that...
  19. O

I'd ditch the BIOS modification directly. You want to use CIMC to manage the BIOS options and setup. It will overrule whatever is set in the BIOS anyways. I've installed windows on a LOT of UCS servers with NVMe. As others have noted you need to be in UEFI mode, your error is showing you're...