Search results

1. S

FreeNas Home tight budget system

Nice to know that the seller is good and the power consumption on idle is that low! That's what I was aiming for. Did you change the thermal paste when you received yours?
  2. S

I want to thank you all for the recommendations because I finally bought my server: Operating System/ Storage Platform: TBD (probably Proxmox and in the future unraid) CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230-v2 (4 cores / 8 threads) Motherboard: MSI MS-S0121 (should be C204 with 2 x SATA 3 + 4 x SATA 2)...
  3. S

Cheap FreeNAS Build

Very good build, I was going to build the same system! Can you tell why you didn't use the stock cooler? Noise or some performance concerns? Thank for sharing some pics @TomUK !
  4. S

@TomUK Sadly I lost this opportunity too! Now I'm looking at HP ProLiant DL360e Gen8 G8, Intel Xeon Six 6-Core P420 16GB RAM 1U Rack Server > Intel Xeon Hex Core (6) E5-2430L 2.00GHz - 15MB SmartCache - 2.50GHz Turbo Boost > 16GB RAM > 8 x 2.5" SAS/SATA Hard Drive Bays (No Additional...
  5. S

I've recently found this offer: Fujitsu TX140 S2 E3-1220 v3 8GB 1600MHz ECC DDR3 PSU 2 x 450W redundant 2 x Intel LAN/Ethernet 1 x dedicated IPMI ethernet port 4 x 3.5-inch SAS/SATA This for something near 200€/250€ what do you guys think?
  6. S

I can't have an idle consumption so high, sadly here power is not cheap and having a system that consumes 60W less means that in a year I could probably recover the extra price of a more efficient one. I'm trying to find E3 systems but they seems to be pretty rare for now.
  7. S

I'll definitly give a look! There's a lot of choice there!
  8. S

You are right! I double checked and the specs says that ECC mode is disabled only with some CPUs (for sure the ones that doesn't have support for it). In my country G6600 and G4560 are pretty cheap sometimes (both between 50 and 60€) so your build seems pretty cheap considering this is all new...
  9. S

Sadly I lost the auction. What do you guys think about: HP Proliant DL120 G7E - 1 Xeon E3-1220 - RAM 8GB - 2x 3G 7.2K SATA 250 GB | eBay
  10. S

I'm looking closely at the Asus one! I'm a Computer's Science student in Italy, my wallet is very limited but I think that experimenting with server grade hardware and having a private backup and developer server can be very very usefull for both my actual needs and getting more experience with...
  11. S

Can you suggest me some models? Does the v1 sacrifice too much in power consumption and horse power? I can see benchmarks about performance but rarely I can find something on idle consumption (I'm expecting that system to be most of the time idle or doing low horse-power tasks like small...
  12. S

I've found one with 8GB and the E3 1240 for 260€ It seems a pretty good deal but I'm a bit concerned about the only two 3.5 slots. Do yout think there's a way to eventually put more drives?
  13. S

I have both case and disks. Meanwhile I have found that the board I posted probably supports ECC memory in non-ECC mode (is that possible?) and found a more expensive substitution with 8GB of RAM: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant CPU: Intel - Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core...
  14. S

Thank for the reply @Rand__ I already have a case and it's fine to buy used but I have to keep power consumption down because the cost of power where I live is not so cheap. I don't have particular needs about form-factor but the case that I already have supports standard ATX formats.
  15. S

Hi STH community! I'm struggling deciding what to do about an home server with different purposes. The real purpose of the system is to serve as a backup server in sync with my other systems (I was thinking of using Nextcloud). A large hdd would be used as a media/download bucket for torrent...