Search results

1. T

ZFS Raid + SnapRaid media server in a napp-it box

Ok, so after talking to some folks in the #smartos irc, it looks like the only thing you can pass is ZVOLs to a VM. So OP seems like the way to go... passing single drives to VM.
  2. T

Ignore that part for now. On proxmox, I think you can pass the drive through to the vm (without using the Vt-d passthrough)... I think this is similar to ESXi's raw device mapping (rdm)... Can smartos do that? An example of a proxmox command is step 17 on...
  3. T

I didn't know zfs was the only option in Solaris, interesting. Ok, so without pci passthrough, I could still pass the drives (that are individual zpools) to a linux VM (virtio driver), right? That VM could then pool the drives and share the pools via the network via nfs, samba, etc...
  4. T

Hey, I'm new to the whole ZFS and Solaris thing (not new to linux or linux server admin) so please bare with me, but why do you need to create ZFS pools for each drive? Why not just use the drive without zfs or pass it through to a VM to use? I ask this because I'm looking to do a home server...