Search results

1. C

Best server chassis for high volume storage

You might have a look at http://www.deltaserverstore.com consider that their prices are in cdn$, shipping is from Toronto, and there is no duty, they might have something which interests you.
  2. C

Supermicro 6028U-TRTP X10DRU-i Barebone $349

So I received my unit. Very happy it got out of Texas before the 'big freeze'. Overall I am very pleased with the unit purchased from The ServerStore, it arrived quickly, in great shape, well packed and clean. I have installed Proxmox on it, and will be using it to replace an old fileserver. My...
  3. C

Thanks... so I will patently (ha !) wait for the server to arrive and figure this out. Sounds like I have a few options, SATADOM, a MacGyver with velcro in the case, or a pcie sata carrier card.
  4. C

Just doing some planning before the server arrives. If it doesn’t boot off an NVME is there a convenit place I can tap off power for a SSD, using Molex spliiters or the like. I assume I can use One of the SATADOM SATA connectors for data. Trying to preserve all the bays for HDDs.
  5. C

Sorry to necro post. Have just ordered one of these servers, and I have two questions does it boot from a NVME M.2 SSD card on the Supermicro carrier ? does the bmc support html5 for kvm, I’m getting tired Of trying to find browsers and Java versions which work
  6. C

Ubuntu automatic LVM partitioning killing me -- ideas from anyone?

Have you tried lvresize as opposed to assuming it won't work. Since your plan B is a reinstall cant hurt.. But I would boot from a USB stick and resize.
  7. C

advice for upgrades

If you are just reading a few active media streams then 32 GB is more than enough. Hell you could probably get away with 4GB, if all you were doing is media files on a 1 Gb pipe. But ECC memory is highly recommended. L2ARC is not likely needed. In this use case SLOG (ZIL) would be a complete...
  8. C

where are my 22GB?

Why do you think it is used or missing. The mdadm command is telling you the device is 449 ish GB, not that it is used up. or full The df command is telling you that the file system on the device /dev/md0 has 71 MB used. I assume that is correct
  9. C

4x M.2 SSDs in a 3.5" Drive bay

Patrick something like this would help.. MP3S (mSATA to SATA Adapter for PCIe Slot) Understand it would be nice if it were 4 up and 8087 type connector...maybe you could suggest it to them
  10. C

What do you all use for storage?

Not sure I follow. ZFS modules get updated periodically, at every point release. Not sure what you mean by Btrfs, don't / won't use it, its not ready for prime time.
  11. C

What do you all use for storage?

ZFS on Linux, Ubuntu 12.04, E3-1230V2, 32 GB RAM, 6x2TB Raidz2, 6x1TB Raidz1-0. 2xLSI 9211 in IT mode. SSD L2ARC. Works very well.
  12. C

HDD Test / recertify options

The 90% means 90% remaining. In other words it only scanned 10% of the disk before it bailed with an error. The "9437194" number is the LBA of the bad block. The percent remaining only counts down in 10% steps so it is pretty coarse) Have a look at Bad block HOWTO for smartmontools which...
  13. C

HDD Test / recertify options

Ok a few things. i) The smartctl -a output you posted shows two interesting things: a) The current pending is 5, which means there are 5 LBAs which don't pass the read ECC, but which *have not* yet been reallocated. They will be when new data is written to those LBAs. Then they may or may not...
  14. C

LSI 9201-8i $76

Mine has been working 24/7 for the last 5 months with zero issues.
  15. C

ZFS build for VM storage. SSD or HDD pool advice.

You are over thinking the RAIN bit. Conceptually it is no different than the ECC or spare blocks on a spinning disk. That is, it is invisible to anything outside the device's firmware. In other words ignore it, the OS already does. As an aside RAIN is a great marketing gimmick, it provides no...
  16. C

The other thing about dedup ON HARD DRIVES is that it intrinsically causes fragmentation. So even if you have enough RAM for the DDTs, your performance will tank over time as the filesystem fragments; the seeks will bite you in the ass. This is not a problem with SSDs as seeks are "free" but it...
  17. C

I would like to add a few points and amplify what others have said: - Raidz acts at the speed of a single disk for random I/O loads, for sequential loads it approaches N where N is the number of data disk in the vdev - you can easily stripe Raidz vdevs (analogous to RAID60) which will give...
  18. C

ZFS array on an underspecced system

As long as you do *not* turn on dedup you should be fine. I run a ZFS on a HP microserver with 4 GB or RAM, with absolutely no issues. ( currently a 3x2 TB RAIDZ1) The RAM recommendations on the web are for dedup . Stay away from dedup, it requires much more "muscle" than your ancient machine...
  19. C

Dell C1100 BIOS and virtualization?

Have one installed complete with a Plextor msata drive.. Works very well indeed !!