Search results

1. pcmoore

I want to build my own home lab, but i'm totally blind. Problem, I cannot modify any BIOS settings.

Hi, and welcome. I'm not sure I have a solid answer for you, just some things to try and I suspect you've probably already looked into these ideas, but just in case here are a few thoughts that may be helpful: 1. If the system in question supports IPMI you may be able to use a second computer...
  2. pcmoore

Thin-ITX 1U rackmount with LCD panel?

I wish I had better news, but no, I haven't looked into it further and with plenty of other projects higher on my todo list, I doubt I ever will at this point. I'm sorry :(
  3. pcmoore

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

To anyone who has upgraded, any word on if the mixed WPA2/WPA3 iOS problems have been resolved in 200.15?
  4. pcmoore

Looking for Microsemi SyncServer S600 firmware

That matches my understanding, and yes, I completely agree that blocking security updates on a subscription fee is a poor practice for many reasons. Did you happen to get part numbers and/or cost estimates for the firmware update subscription? I might consider purchasing a subscription once...
  5. pcmoore

These boxes can typically offer things that are difficult to easily replicate on a standard server box; examples include multiple time code, frequency, and pulse outputs as well as comparator inputs for the same. There is also the issue of the time reference and holdover oscillators, while it...
  6. pcmoore

Unfortunately, I did not. It's not even very easy figuring out what license(s) (?) I would need to purchase to enable software updates or additional features, e.g. other constellations beyond GPS. At some point I need to reach out to Microchip/Microsemi to clarify what I need, but based on...
  7. pcmoore

[FS][US-CA] Clearing out new & used Supermicro 1U systems, ships worldwide

Just a FYI for others lurking on this thread, FedEx just dropped off a Supermicro 5018D-FN4T from @zac1 this morning and everything arrived well packaged and as described. One of the better purchasing experiences I've had online.
  8. pcmoore

New 1.8 watt SFP+ RJ45 10GBase-T SFP+ Transceivers?

To be clear @CIR-Engineering, are you referring to the ~2.3W transceivers or the newer ~1.8W transceivers?
  9. pcmoore

New 1.8 watt SFP+ RJ45 10GBase-T SFP+ Transceivers?

According to FS.com they support 10Gbit at 100m (!) on cat6/7 which is on-par with dedicated 10Gbase-T switches. If these transceivers actually live up to their datasheet specs in terms of both power and speed at distance these could be quite a hit.
  10. pcmoore

My rack shakes/bends, is it dangerous?

I wonder if some cross bracing on the sides, and the top/bottom (think a big giant metal "X") would help add some stability. I'm not sure how handy you are, but you can get lengths of steel/aluminum at Home Depot (or your favorite hardware store) that should work okay; measure and cut to size...
  11. pcmoore

Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ Bios locked unable to reset via CMOS removal and CMOS reset jumper

As a FYI, you can reset the IPMI password using the "IPMICFG" tool available from Supermicro: IPMI Utilities | Supermicro I've done this on a number of systems over the years and the TLDR version of resetting the IPMI configuration and the ADMIN password is to run the following two commands...
  12. pcmoore

FS SFP-10G-T Review – Another SFP+ to 10Gbase-T Option

I'm also curious about the heat generated from these transceivers when run at 10Gb link speeds. I've got a handful of the Mikrotik transceivers, both the v1 and v2, and they all get worryingly hot when used on a 10Gb link; I'm very curious to see if the newer transceivers generate less heat...
  13. pcmoore

Dell X-series networking

Yes, I'm running them in a home lab, and yes, they are relegated to the basement both from a that's-where-I-need-them as well as a way-too-noisy-for-an-office perspective. It's been a while since I've run a 8024F, but from what I recall the 8164F/N4064F is louder. Sorry :(
  14. pcmoore

Dual-WAN/SD-WAN - What are you guys doing?

I opted for a simple route as well, mostly because there is enough complexity in life and sometimes you just want something easy ;) My setup is two ISP uplinks, one via fiber broadband and one via LTE modem, both connected via ethernet to a pfSense box that handles firewall and routing duties...
  15. pcmoore

Creative solutions for an opaque VPN endpoint

I would expect that any device *not* doing some form of transparent bridging, etc. would have an address.
  16. pcmoore

Creative solutions for an opaque VPN endpoint

I believe I tried that and ran into issues with 802.1x on the VPN box. That is really what makes this interesting, otherwise as you said it's a pretty simple of routing the VLANs to the WAPs and then mapping the VLANs to SSIDs. I do the latter now, and I suspect there are a fair number of...
  17. pcmoore

Switching Overhaul - critique my decisions

On the CRS326 you can fit a power supply inside the switch, and I would expect one to be able to do the same on the CSS326. I did it myself on a switch I picked up to play with Mikrotik's RouterOS/SwitchOS before I ultimately decided they were either too quirky (RouterOS) or too simplistic...
  18. pcmoore

Huge temperature drops from flipping switch into vertical orientation?

Without knowing anything about the switch in question, could it be a simple matter of when you reorient the switch the temperature sensor is now positioned *below* the main heat source such that the hot air doesn't come into as much contact with the sensor?
  19. pcmoore

Need some EFI Shell help

Make sure you do "FSX:" and not "BLKX:"; the first is a mounted filesystem, the second is a raw block device. Other than that, I agree with Rand__; you shouldn't need to add anything other than the firmware updater to the USB drive with the FAT32 partition as most system firmware these days...
  20. pcmoore

Need some EFI Shell help

First, if you haven't already, make sure you've placed the firmware on a FAT32 partition on the USB drive. Second, when the EFI shell starts it will most likely show a list of mounted filesystems and storage devices. The filesystems will show up as "FSX:" while the storage devices will show up...