Search results

1. G

Source of inexpensive half racks?

New 12U 19" Rackmount Server Rack Cabinet w Casters 35" Deep | eBay I use one of these at home and I'm pretty happy. I only have 1 C6100, a few switches, a SE3016 JBOD, and a shelf to hold my cable modem etc. It's not the cheapest but I had the same problem with nobody having a half rack...
  2. G

Three server 10 GbE network without a switch. Possible?

So, if I wanted to set up an alert in eBay for a 10Gbe switch, what parameters would you recommend to eliminate the chaff? Is there a good list of "starter switches" in a home lab environment? I see plenty of stuff with 2x 10Gbe SFP+ ports but something with 4x would be better, and more is...
  3. G

What do you all use for storage?

I run FreeNAS on a C6100 node. I go way overkill with CPU and 24GB of ECC RAM, but I also use (read: abuse) the FreeNAS server plugins. Crashplan and Plex are used daily, but I also have OwnCloud, Transmission, CouthPotato... the list goes on. I like the set-up and the management has been really...
  4. G

C6100 + SE3016 + HBA or DL380 (or similar)

The title says it all. I have a C6100 that I have loaded out with dual L5639 and 24 GB of RAM in all nodes. I have one node wired up to 6 bays running FreeNAS, but I want to expand my storage and add some ZIL/ARC SSDs. Option 1) Buy a SE3016 and a HBA (need recommendations on a low profile HBA...
  5. G

Baytech RPC-3 PDU Revival thread

I'm hoping to revive interest in this PDU that had a main page article written about it. I purchased one of these on eBay and have gotten the most basic connection set up, but that basically makes this a rack mount power strip. Manual for reference...
  6. G

FS: 2x SuperMicro 2U Servers

I have 2 SuperMicro servers that I have replaced with a C6100. I figured I would give users on the forum first crack at them before putting them on eBay. I am taking offers but you will need to pay packing and shipping costs. I've listed how each one is spec'd out to the best of my knowledge...
  7. G

Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

You're on the right track. DCS servers were custom built for datacenter customers, and by custom it can be hardware, firmware, or both. Some DCS servers were built without the mezzanine slots for example, and this can be a dealbreaker but personally I can live without them. The real...
  8. G

Okay, I pulled the front end of my 6100 and all the PDU boards to make sure the connections were tight there. I connected everything back and before screwing it back together powered the node with 6 drives wired annnnd... it all works now! I think it was probably a loose power at the backplane...
  9. G

These do not work HDDs 1-3 --> Backplane --> Monoprice Cable connectors 1-3 --> Midplane Connector 1--> Interposer --> 6 SATA Bundle to ICH10 ports These do work HDD 4--> Backplane --> Monoprice Cable connector 4 --> Midplane Connector 1 --> Interposer --> 6 SATA Bundle to ICH10 ports HDDs...
  10. G

Okay, new issue. I used the Monoprice 4 connector SAS cable to hook up 6 drives to one node, but when I power it on only three drives power/light up. Those same three drives are seen by the node but the other 3 are nowhere. Funniest part - one of the drives is port 4 of the SAS cable and the...
  11. G

I wanted to follow up on my non-ECC RAM question I posted earlier. I am happy to report that so far my "desktop" RAM is working. I have been able to install ESXi on one of my nodes with no issue after I appeased the DIMM slot gods by installing like the manual mandates. I'll try to add back to...
  12. G

I'm calling you out PigLover :P I'm buying into the C6100 club and need to migrate my current stack to these nodes. CPUs I have, HDD/SSD too, but ECC memory I do not. I plan to eventually (in a month or so) begin to fill the nodes but in the mean time need to check if non-ECC non-registered...
  13. G

Will the nodes accept non-ECC memory? This would only be temporary until I can buy ECC memory again but I have 64 GB of non-ECC sticks and a lead on a system without memory.
  14. G

Cable drops - Cat5e vs Cat6

Conduit is not likely for in wall because the house is already drywalled and... yeah I agree with the last post that conduit becomes a limiting factor after a point. I went ahead and bought the Cat5e because that's what the wife approved in the budget. I think that if I need to add 10/100...
  15. G

Cable drops - Cat5e vs Cat6

I just won an auction for a 48 port PoE gigabit switch on eBay with the plans to wire up the whole house with gigabit LAN drops. I was pricing cable out on Monoprice and the $130 shipped spool of Cat6 was the plan. I check my local craigslist and a guy is selling 4 partially used 1000ft boxes of...
  16. G

HP DL180 G6 2U LGA1366 storage server

Can you run these servers with a single processor? I'm thinking of buying a base chassis + PSU. I have spare L5520 chips and would use this with UDIMM memory as a storage server. Anything I am missing?
  17. G

IcyDock 2.5" to 3.5" Adapters on Amazon $9.99

Was that $16 including shipping? I usually just use a USB drive or in the case of these adapters I'm needing them for SSD boot drives. Good deal on the 80GB 10K though!
  18. G

IcyDock 2.5" to 3.5" Adapters on Amazon $9.99

Amazon.com : Icy Dock EZConvert 2.5-Inch to 3.5-Inch SATA SSD / Hard Drive Converter : Desktop Computer Internal Hard Drives : Electronics The WD icepacks on eBay have been going up. Amazon just dropped the price on these. Recommended in a STH main page article. Free shipping if you have prime.
  19. G

FS: TYAN GT24-B8236, 2x AMD 6128, 32GB DDR3 ECC

This does not have the LSI SAS2008 chip on it. I never did a RAID with the onboard AMD chip. I used SSDs and never taxed the system. All the other HDD were RDM'd to a FreeNAS VM.
  20. G

FS: TYAN GT24-B8236, 2x AMD 6128, 32GB DDR3 ECC

TYAN - Server Barebones : GT24B8236 (B8236G24V4H) 1U Server Barebones: AMD 45nm 8-Core/12-Core Opteron 6100 Series Processors (Magny-Cours) / (3) HT3.0 support ; 12MB L3 per socket / AMD 32nm 8-Core/12-Core/16-Core Opteron 6200 Series Processors (Int That's the barebones that was used. It's a...