Search results

1. A

Supermicro X11SSV-M4 Review – Embedded Intel Xeon E3-1515M V5 mITX Platform

The X11SSV-M4F is quite a bit different to the X11SSV-M4 and would be for a different market. The X11SSV-M4F has very limited external graphics outputs compared to the X11SSV-M4. Eg no hdmi or displayport on the X11SSV-M4F and the Intel Iris Pro P580 is limited to VHD use. CPU is different too.
  2. A

Intel Xeon E3-1500 V5 – Video and Virtualization CPUs Launched

Just had a quick search and have not seen any E3-1500 motherboards or CPUs available to buy. It is now four months since launch. Are these vapourware? Or am I looking in all the wrong places?
  3. A

How about some Bay Trail?

Yeah I think you are right. For myself, I have not bothered looking at these processor errata documents before. I'm probably just researching too much. I have a E5-1620 and I just skimmed through that document and there is a huge amount of errata - most of which I don't understand. My E5-1620...
  4. A

USB3 warm boot issue might be hinted at here?: https://qdms.intel.com/dm/d.aspx/78314527-AF5E-42F2-985F-B49F92E6F64E/PCN112861-00.pdf "Description of Change to the Customer: Intel will start transitioning from B3 to C0 stepping in for Intel Celeron Processors J1800 & J1900 and Intel Pentium®...
  5. A

This looks promising for the possibility of 64bit UEFI for bay trail: The site seems a bit mixed up mentioning H61 along with bay trail type boards - but anyways - the "bios and spec card" tab here mentions 32Bit UEFI and 64Bit UEFI versions of "bios" for some of their J1800 and J1900...
  6. A

this might tell you your stepping: cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep stepping
  7. A

Just want to say that I really appreciate the comments from you all about your experiences running the X10SBA with linux. Thank you. It (actually the X10SBA-L) is on my list of boards that I am considering. It is quite expensive in my area of the world especially for the purpose I would use...
  8. A

Thanks Cheddoleum. I wonder if "Please use bios version after 1.0b, which will fix this issue." means that the next firmware that comes out after 1.0b will allow stock linux installers to work without workarounds. Anyway - as you have shown at least there is a workaround.
  9. A

manage RAID controllers ESX

I don't have full instructions. For the HPs you should be able to get some management software from here: Driver Versions in HP supplied VMware ESX/ESXi images I am using hpssacli to manage my HP raid card. Can show status and do configuration. eg: /opt/hp/hpssacli/bin/hpssacli controller...
  10. A

Is this bios from the supermicro X10SBA page new?: BIOS File Name: X10SBA3_C31.zip Size (KB): 3,594 BIOS Revision: R 1.0b From the supermicro faq: FAQ ID 18072 Date Posted 02/14/14 Question We have a X10SBA board. During initial linux installation it is not started - periodicaly restart when...
  11. A

X9SRH-7TF (S2011, LSI 2308, Dual 10GbE ~$500)

Not sure when this came available, but there is an IPMI Firmware update available for this motherboard now. Version R 2.40 SMT_X9_240.zip Have not tried updating to it yet and I don't have a change log. Ant
  12. A

Extreme latencies after upgrade to Nexenta CE 3.1.5

Though not mentioning Nexenta, the issue in this thread sounds similar to yours. Might be something helpful there: http://forums.servethehome.com/solaris-nexenta-openindiana-napp/2651-issues-reading-my-storage-solaris-napp-smb.html
  13. A

Extreme latencies after upgrade to Nexenta CE 3.1.5

I've seen similar things when messing with jumbo frames. Did the upgrade enable jumbo frames and then when you downgraded it was still enabled? Or did you enable it yourself around the same time on Nexenta or on client VMs (most likely Nexenta since it seems most/all VMs have the issue)? Unless...
  14. A

Poor man's diy ZeusRAM

Was not sure whether to have the subject as "Poor man's diy ZeusRAM" or "What to do with that spare $20 second hard raid card you have lying around" or "one valid reason for using a ramdisk as zil (calm down - its only for temporary testing)" Anyway, this will be a big post so lets get started...
  15. A

There is a bios update available for this motherboard now. R 3.0 X9SRH3_705.zip Looks like it will allow support for E5-2600/1600 v2 product family. Yay - I was hoping they would support this in case I want to update the processor one day. Ant
  16. A

Hi Jeggs101, I have just skimmed through this massive thread at the vmware forums so I don't really know: Esxi 5.1 pci passthrough broken | VMware Communities They talk about a lot of things there but a predominant issue is that USB controllers specifically can't be passed through to guests...
  17. A

Hi mrkrad, Not sure if you are addressing me but I will give my answers. This was not anything to do with pushing network cards. I was hoping to get the onboard LSI 2308 sas/sata controller working via pci passthough to a VM. I want to do this in order to help me build what people seem to call...
  18. A

Hi Gea, Some notes on my testing. I set my bios to optimised defaults - I had previously changed bios settings heaps of times so I thought it better to start from scratch. I checked that virtualization and VT-d was enabled in the bios and they were. I installed ESXi 5.1 build 799733 and...
  19. A

Hi Gea, Thank you very much for the instructions. I have done very similar procedures numerous times with various hypervisors and solaris based guests and have not succeeded yet. I will try with OmniOS as a guest as I have not tried that one yet. Will also try the same build of esxi. At the...
  20. A

Hi Gea, I have flashed the 2308 Controller to IT mode - supermicro assisted: "Regarding your inquiry: I am considering purchasing a X9SRH-7TF and I would like to know if it is possible to change the on board lsi 2308 sas controller to IT mode by flashing it in uefi shell using the method here...