Search results

1. C

VMware 6.5 and A2SDi-16C-HLN4F (cluster 2-node)

Hi JJ, I'm really glad performance has improved for you, but I have to say I'm also quite surprised. You've made me really curious now. Over the next few weeks I'll do some tests of my own. My previous testing was all done using a private internal LAN and simple file transfers. I never...
  2. C

Before you go and reinstall everything, I should tell you that I don't believe build 6 of the driver will make any difference to your problem. Both build 5 and build 6 are very similar. Build 6 differs only in some performance tweaks relating to throughput. I can't see that the differences...
  3. C

Hi JJ, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems. I'm still using build 6 of my driver (attached to post #37 of this thread). I am not (and have not) experienced any CPU load problems. In fact, I've not experienced problems of any kind with this driver. My setup: Supermicro...
  4. C

You're welcome. I appreciate the thanks. :) I used the ESXi 6.5 tool chain to compile the driver (and it was linked with the 6.5 vmklinux_module.c source) so it will work on 6.5 or higher/later.
  5. C

During last week I took my Supermicro A2SDi-16C-HLN4F motherboard (which I'd been using solely for testing while I was doing the driver code merge) and rebuilt it as my production server. This finally allowed me to do some proper performance testing (SSDs at both ends, dedicated test network)...
  6. C

Thank you Marco. That's good to hear. So far I've only been able to do basic testing of the driver. Hopefully, it will just work fine, but if you discover any problems then please post the info here and I'll look into it. Thanks.
  7. C

By the way, from what I can tell, the X553 driver provided in the link above was compiled from the stock Intel source code. In other words, it does not contain the VMware code modifications. I suspect this is why users are reporting problems with it.
  8. C

Well, it's finally ready for release. I finished the main code merge about two weeks ago. Since then I've been testing and tweaking to ensure the driver loads and operates properly. I have named the driver ixgbe_x553_7 to indicate that it's the ixgbe driver but specifically for Intel X553/7...
  9. C

Just wanted to give you all an update. I'm still working through the code merge. It's proving harder than I originally thought. It's often difficult to determine whether a difference is a VMware addition, change or subtraction. It's clear some of the original Intel driver core code has been...
  10. C

Please start a new thread for your question. We are discussing ESXi drivers for Intel X553/7 NICs, not power consumption.
  11. C

My motherboard arrived today... finally! I'll get it setup this weekend so I can do some proper testing.
  12. C

Thanks for letting me know ESXi 6.7 had been released. I wasn't aware. I pulled out the ixgbe drivers from the 6.7 ISO. There is still no reference within to either X553 or the device IDs 15E4 and 15C8. I haven't been able to install 6.7 since I'm still waiting on my motherboard to be...
  13. C

I've been told that my motherboard has finally landed in the country (Australia). I should have it in about 1 week. I'll try to find some time to do the code updates soon. Marco - Good to know that pFsense has been updated. As you say, let's hope VMware follow soon.
  14. C

I have bad news unfortunately. Simply adding the missing device IDs will not work. I spent the weekend reviewing the VMware source code v4.5.3 and compared it to the original Intel source code on which it is based. Here is what I found: 1. The VMware source code v4.5.3 appears to be based on...
  15. C

Sorry for the late reply. For some reason I'm not receiving email notifications when this thread is updated. Unfortunately, my supplier shipped me the wrong motherboard. I sent it back, but now I'm waiting on the correct motherboard to be shipped, so I could be waiting for some time. Marco...
  16. C

I found that link too, Peanuthead. Did you actually read it? I appreciate you trying to help, but that link contains nothing relating to solving this problem. It only restates the problem.
  17. C

Hi Marco, Thanks for the attachment. Unfortunately, I am also waiting on delivery of my motherboard, so at this moment I cannot try to install the vib either. I have read the same thing as you - that the ixgbe driver should work for X553. It is supposed to be the same as the X552/X557 but...
  18. C

I am also looking for X553 drivers for ESXi 6.5. Like Marco, I have only been able to find references to X552 and X557. The VMware Compatibility Guide lists no results when searching for X553. However, searching for X552 or X557 does produce results. Does this mean no X553 drivers are...