Search results

1. Myth

Arista Switch setup for Media Network, Help!

Hi All, I have a network with two Linux file servers at the edge of an isolated media network. I just set this up but it's not working yet. I need to go over my design and I have a few questions. Each switch has 4 10Gig ports and 48 1 gig ports, they are three identical Arista switches. So I...
  2. Myth

NTP server on different subnet help!

I have ip route 10.9.9.0/24 192.168.255.1 which is my openvpn tunnel.On the switch. But I'm starting to think that you are right. I somehow need to create mutilpule vitural adapters on my pfsense LAN interface which is connected to my port 41 on the dell switch. Currently my dell switch has...
  3. Myth

That was actually a typo, and I just edited my original post.
  4. Myth

Hey Guys, So I have a server setup with a 192.168.253.31 address. The network has three vlans: Vlan 10 with 192.168.255.0/24 Vlan 20 192.168.254.0/24 Vlan 30 192.168.253.0/24 All the servers connect to one "routing" layer 3 switch. Each port is segmented as untagged to be in the respective...
  5. Myth

SMB direct or NFS

So It looks like I can enable SMB multichannel on the Linux server with a simple configuration line in the smb.conf file. However I'm having a hard time finding out if Mac supports multichannel SMB. I know a windows client would. I guess I have to test it... ugh.
  6. Myth

SMB direct or NFS

I've heard on the Linux Server side they are using SMB 3.1.1 and are now recommending SMB. I wonder if I added another 40GigE link to the client and set it to the same subnet, if the data transfer would "multi-thread" across 2x 40GigE ports. I know that making them a LAG would not improve...
  7. Myth

SMB direct or NFS

Wazzz up guys!! So I have a linux server, an OPEN Drive to be exact and a iMac Pro with a 40GigE to thunderbolt 3 adapter. The Linux server is connected via 4x 40GigE lag (LACP) to an arista switch. And the iMac is connected to the switch via a single 40GigE link. So I'm probably gonna...
  8. Myth

186Foot 10gig ethernet COPPER help!

Hey guys, So we have a run that is about 186feet long with Cat 6a cabling. We are using dell switches with 10Base-T copper SFPs. So we have 10Gigabite SFP's copper, but the SFPs are rated at only 30meters. I know that cat 6a cabling can supper 10Gig at 300feet per the spec sheet, but I can't...
  9. Myth

SED HDD in a Non SED Array

Hey Guys, Anyone have any experience with SED hard drives?
  10. Myth

SED HDD in a Non SED Array

Hey Guys, We are thinking of buying this Seagate 6 TB enterprise drive ST6000NM0285 for a cheap price of $150. I've read online that it will not work for SED in our systems, but I don't care about SED, I just want a cheap, fast 6TB Seagate SAS 12 (NEW). So this SED HDD will go in my RAID 6...
  11. Myth

Could PowerSupply cause random drives to fail?

I don't use stagger spin up unless adaptec does it automatically. Thinking about it, each drive seems to light up one at a time. So for 48 drives that's a lot of juice, looking at more like 1500watts during boot up. I'll be servicing the Server tomorrow morning at 9am I brought a power meter...
  12. Myth

Well it seems strange that the drives come back online after a reboot or if I swap them to a different server. They are all about one year old. They are SAS 12gb. Cables are 3m or less and the cable length is the same for all our servers. Yet this one is having difficulties. The original...
  13. Myth

WTB: 10tb or 8tb drives for a total of 250tb

I have 32 Ten TB Sata Seagate helium drives. How much you want to spend? They are all brand new, we ran some tests on them, but they are all new and out of the box.
  14. Myth

Hey Guys, We have a big server with 48 spinning 8TB seagate enterprise hard drives. We installed this server about 3 months ago and things have been going smoothly. However, last week during a nightly defragmentation, two drives died at the same time. Let me first explain the setup of the...
  15. Myth

Searching for an affordable RAID card that can also function in MIXED mode (RAID + JBOD)

Adaptec controller cards can pass through drives is you leave them uninitialized (RAW). Don't know the cost of used cards though. P.S. I'm not sure how your age is relevant.
  16. Myth

Move Over M.2: 16TB M.3 SSDs for the 1PB per U Data Center

So is M.3 hot swapable or not?
  17. Myth

vSAN ESXi, StarWind, or Dell EMC software solutions

Hey Guys, I work for a server manufacturer and we specialize in the media and entertainment industry. We recently had a client ask for 900TB of storage and we have a solution for that but it's kind of ugly, so I'm looking at other alternative software's on the server side that would run on...
  18. Myth

VMware vSAN Performance :-(

This was a great post. I was thinking about setting up a 3 node cluster with vSAN ESXi, but after reading this maybe Starwind is better. Also, did anyone try Dell EMC ECS Community Edition? And finally, I have use cases of 10 users streaming 4k media uncompressed. Would Starwind give me the...
  19. Myth

Supermicro onboard LSI3008 from IR to IT mode

I have the H11 Motherboard, but when I plug in drives to the SAS ports they just show up in the disk partition manager in windows. I thought it was just a pass-through. But you are saying it's a HW RAID, how?
  20. Myth

Supermicro onboard LSI3008 from IR to IT mode

Yes other users and people have been able to flash to IT mode. What is the difference between IT mode and IR mode?