Search results

1. L

Arista QSFP-40G-U 40G QSFP+ BiDi $25

There's only 3 left at the first listing, which is the seller I bought from, but it's a good price for these modules. I can't vouch for the modules from the second seller. These are LC BiDi 40G modules that work with both MMF and SMF (can confirm). Moreover, with SMF, they also work when paired...
  2. L

Cleaning SAS backplane connectors

I recently acquired a second hand (at least!) chassis with SAS backplanes. I've been having a ton of trouble with it. I first put in a bunch of old SATA drives but they all were constantly erroring and when the did work, they were unusually slow. I then swapped them out and put in 12g SAS drives...
  3. L

CX-4 SR-IOV on ROMED8-2T not working

My ASRock Rack EPYCD8 gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a ROMED8-2T. After replacing the motherboard I can't get SR-IOV working for my CX-4. It used to work just fine. The only difference is the motherboard, everything else is unchanged. SR-IOV works just fine for the onboard Intel...
  4. L

[FS][US] 8x Dell WX387 2.5" drive trays

8x Dell WX387 drive trays with screws. I'm offering them as a single lot and will ship via a USPS padded flat rate envelope. $30 will save these from the shredder. I can accept payment via: PayPal, Venmo, Zelle, Google Pay.
  5. L

[FS][US] 8x 4GB DDR3 1600 ECC RDIMMs

I have 8 RDIMMs that you can save from the shredder. SK Hynix HMT351R7BFR4C-PB - 4GB 1Rx4 PC3-12800R-11-10-C1 As a bonus, I'll throw in 1x SK Hynix MHT41GR7AFR4A-PB - 8GB 1Rx4 PC3L-12800R-11-13-C2. It's either this or the shredder... it's up to you. I'm offering them as a single lot, all or...
  6. L

Ryzen 5800x ECC corrected memory error

There has been a lot of discussion over the years about Ryzen ECC support, function and reporting. I managed to see an ECC corrected error reported in the wild. [Hardware Error]: Corrected error, no action required. [Hardware Error]: CPU:0 (19:21:0)...
  7. L

SAS SSD Read slower than Write

I just received a number of Samsung PM1633 1.92TB SSDs. They initially showed up as 1.6TB, presumably due to over-provisioning. They were also 512e/4096. I used sg_format to format to 4096 and ended up with the full 1.92TB. The Samsung brochure lists sequential read as "up to" 1,400MB/s and...
  8. L

Recommendation for used SAS SSDs

I would like to build an aprox. 16TB raid0 array of SSDs. My backplane has plenty of dual port SAS3 12Gb/s capacity but I lack PCIe lanes for enough m.2 or u.2 NVMe devices. Usage is ~90/10 reads/writes and almost entirely small random iops (lots of 4k). DWPD would be around 10%. The data is...
  9. L

DOA HGST He10?

An He10 (HUH721010AL4204) I purchased via eBay spins up but is not detected by my Adaptec ASR72405 but is detected by a SAS3008. The activity light stays lit but is in a repeating pattern of blinks where the duty cycle is ~1.75s on, 0.25s off. I have a bunch of identical drives so I know my...
  10. L

What is a HUH72808CLAR8000?

The label on the top of the drive says HUH728080AL4200 but the drive identifies itself as a HUH72808CLAR8000. The physical appearance of the drive is also slightly different from the other HUH728080AL4200 drives I have. The top is polished aluminum with a white label covering about 1/2 the...
  11. L

SR-IOV problem with CX3

I have a Mellanox MCX354A-FCBT (flashed from HP OEM) that I'm running in SR-IOV mode with 8 VFs. The host is using the PF as its primary interface and, at present, I only have one guest running a VF. The guest is experiencing tons of problem with the VF. Connections will run at full speed for...
  12. L

Epyc Rome: Unable to pass-through SATA ports to VM. FLR bug?

I am not having any success passing through any of the built-in peripherals on my Epyc 7502 (SATA or USB). When I start a VM that has the built-in SATA or USB as PCI pass-through devices, I get a sequence of... vfio-pci 0000:45:00.0: not ready 1023ms after FLR; waiting vfio-pci 0000:45:00.0...
  13. L

48 Drive 4U Chassis: IBM Slicestor 3448 aka Chenbro RM43348

TL;DR - Upgraded version of NR40700 with SAS3 (12Gbps) backplanes. Heavy and loud. I recently picked up an IBM Slicestor 3448 (Chenbro RM43348) on eBay. They're currently listed at $595 but the seller accepted my Best Offer which was considerably less. It's definitely more expensive than a...
  14. L

Any way to check SAS link speed from Linux?

Is there a way to query the SAS link speed from Linux? I've checked dmsg and all sorts of places in sysfs but can't find anything that indicates link speed. I have LSI3008 HBAs, backplanes with LSI SAS3x36 expanders, and HGST He8 drives so I should be 12gbps across the board. I would like to...
  15. L

WTB: Norco RL-26 Sliding Rails

Update: My request has been satisfied and I'm no longer looking to buy. I am on the hunt for rails for a Norco 2U chassis. I'm nearly convinced that Norco has gone out of business or is on their way out. There don't appear to be any RL-26 rails for sale at a reasonable price (<$50) and I'd...
  16. L

What dual LGA2011 motherboard is this?

I bought an IBM Slicestor server off eBay and it came with a dual LGA2011 motherboard. I'm not going to use it and would like to know if it has any value. The board doesn't have any identifying marks, as far as I can tell. I don't have any CPUs to put into it so I can't boot it up but the IPMI...
  17. L

DIY PDU with Switched and Metered Ports

I have wanted a PDU with per-port metering for a long time but have never found anything for a price I'd be willing to pay (< $250). I recently came across a category of WiFi based home automation devices that are supported by an open source firmware that I decided to kludge together into a DYI...
  18. L

Disable Emulex OneConnect boot ROM?

I have too many cards with ROMs and was unable to get into the BIOS at all until I disabled the boot ROM of my ConnectX-4. I'd like to disable the ROM of my Emulex OneConnect card too but I can't find any information on how to do it, if it's even possible at all. The card is an OCE14102-NX. I...
  19. L

Crossflash Lenovo CX-4 to Stock Mellanox

I recently received one of these: Mellanox ConnectX-4 CX455A PCIe x16 3.0 100GBe EDR IB VPI QSFP28 MCX455A | eBay It's running a Lenovo firmware and is stuck in IB mode. I'd like to flash it with stock Mellanox firmware. The instructions I found here on crossflashing involve building a...
  20. L

Monoprice 3m QSFP+ DACs for $10.58

$10.58 for a 3m QSFP+ DAC. Coded for Cisco. 3M Cisco Compatible QSFP+ to QSFP+ Copper Direct Attach Cable (DAC) - Monoprice.com I understand that Mellanox is quite tolerant of DAC vendor coding. Any reason why these might not work between a Mellanox switch and card? UPDATE: These do not work...