Search results

1. TangoWhiskey9

Which switch?

I'm CRS317-1G-16S+RM Going bigger it's hard to get web managed.
  2. TangoWhiskey9

Questions about BMCs and Baseboards

BMCs add features with new generations from a vendor too. So you're likely to have many generations. You're using someone's management plane
  3. TangoWhiskey9

$380 Micron 3.2TB S630DC SAS SSD & other capacities available

Of course they are EOL. They're 2015 drives. Even Intel S3510 a 2015 drive is discontinued Intel® SSD DC S3510 Series (240GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 16nm, MLC) Product Specifications A new Enterprise drive for $0.11-0.12/ GB is crazy good. I'm assuming these are OEM. With a 2.5M hr mtbf and...
  4. TangoWhiskey9

Looking for suggestions on l2 10g switch

Just as a heads-up this has best offer and the seller usually will take $100 off in this price range via best offer DELL NETWORKING X4012 0CJM5 | eBay I like the MikroTik for home use, but I do not think I would deploy that in a remote data center. That may very well be a misguided personal...
  5. TangoWhiskey9

FreeNAS Mini on Sale Amazon $100 off

I have two. They're also using different fans and have their own boot drives.
  6. TangoWhiskey9

What's your take on Seagate Enterprise "Hybrid" drives?

We tried a few. Here's the problem. Why suck so much power? They're small too compared to what you can get for sas or nvme.
  7. TangoWhiskey9

10x Chelsio T440 Quad port 10G SFP+

It's a gamble with drivers using a small brand.
  8. TangoWhiskey9

Colo Space!

Duck. We need to be extra vigilant. How do you know that he went to jail and got out? On sending Colo gear out you gotta watch this.
  9. TangoWhiskey9

Xeon e-2100 availability?

I don't know what to feel.
  10. TangoWhiskey9

400ft new fiber run thoughts?

I'd think about what you'll use for 100g and pull that once for 40 now then when you upgrade you won't have to re pull.
  11. TangoWhiskey9

Can you make a switch redundant inputs?

So I've got a single PSU switch. I'm more worried about the PDU/ source failing than the switch PSU failing. That may be dumb, but it is what it is. Is there a way to put two 120v power inputs into a single PSU? So if one side fails, the other fails over? I know the normal answer is to get a...
  12. TangoWhiskey9

FreeNAS: Best RAID for my array?

Performance RAID 10 Z2 adds way more overhead. @K D Z3 on that size array is too much! Maybe if you had all 28 drives in the same array. Otherwise just wasting disks. 24 drive + 3 parity + 1 hotspare and you're set. That would let you rebuild immediately with hotspare and 4 drives for...
  13. TangoWhiskey9

Mac Pro --> Threadripper or Intel E5

If I wanted fast and stable E5 V4 not TR.
  14. TangoWhiskey9

ZFS Design Principles

You should talk to @Patrick about doing these as main site articles. You'd get more eyes on napp-it than PDFs
  15. TangoWhiskey9

Falling From the Sky Part 4 Leaving the Cloud 5 Years Later

More of these articles. You've got great comments on that one too.
  16. TangoWhiskey9

Packet’s Dell EMC PowerEdge AMD EPYC Server Deployment Accelerating

But it's way cheaper to just buy the same. $720/mo
  17. TangoWhiskey9

after crossflash mcx354a-qcbt to Fcbt could I upgrade firmware

Wait you made a 40g card run at 56g?
  18. TangoWhiskey9

Exploring Intel Xeon D Evolution from Xeon D-1500 to Xeon D-2100

I don't know how to feel. The new ones look like they're in a different performance and power class than the old. I thought it'd be cut and dry more speed and about the same power but that's really not the case. If you're going bigger than ITX anyway then you're also in the territory of E5's...
  19. TangoWhiskey9

Server Rack Recommendation

Don't a lot of these all use the same keys? Edit I think that's what @Terry Kennedy is saying