Search results

1. F

Does plugging an RJ45 -> SFP adapter into a QSA SPF/SFP+ -> QSFP adapter work?

0 I have a Mellanox SN2700 100Gb QSFP28 switch but need to plug one line of 1Gb RJ45 into the switch. I know that I can configure port speeds at the switch to 1Gb/sec. I wonder whether I can use an RJ45 -> SFP adapter and plug it into a Mellanox QSA SFP/SFP+ -> QSFP adapter? I came across the...
  2. F

HPE SN2700M 100gb 16 port switch for $4250

I saw on ebay an HPE SN2700M 16port 100gb switch which is the OEM of Mellanox's SN2700 which goes new for around 30k or so. I was wondering whether anyone uses this one and whether there is a catch? I look to connect several GPU compute nodes and found this switch to meet all my needs. But am...
  3. F

Windows Server, file transfers are severely throughput constrained, why?

I am running Windows Server 2016 (and also tried the below on Windows 10 for Workstations), set up 2 separate Ram Disks on the same machine, each getting over 30GB of space. I then copy a single file that is around 12GB in size onto one Ram Disk. Then I clear the Windows file cache. Subsequently...
  4. F

Supermicro X11SRA-F stuck at postcode 32

I built a Supermicro X11SRA-F based workstation and upon first boot, the machine is stuck in an initialization loop with a post code of 32 which then changes to 31 after which the display blanks out for a few seconds and the initialization routine starts all over. The manual states that post...
  5. F

Looking for motherboard for E5-1600 v4 CPUs with bifurcation

Looking to build a home storage server based on a E5-1630 v4 cpu that can manage sata 3 drives as well as a Asus Hyper m.2 nvme card that houses 4 nvme drives. For that purpose I am looking for a motherboard that runs on a) Xeon E5-1600 v4 CPUs, b) exposes two x16 pcie lanes (runs two x16 slots...
  6. F

Application run time doubles with Xeon Gold 6154 over i9-7900X

Hello, I am running into a problem with my new server that hosts 2 Xeon Gold 6154. I am comparing the time to run a process in an application I wrote between my new server that hosts 2 Xeon Gold 6154 vs my old workstation with an i9-7900X. The process I run is SINGLE THREADED and should only...
  7. F

PSU fans very loud and CPU Temps volatile

Hello, I just received a new Asus ESC8000 G4 box and equipped it with 2 Xeon Gold 6154. The case comes with 3 PSU which I all connected to power. I really like this particular server for my Deep learning work. But those things bother me which I need to figure out and thought someone might...
  8. F

Why such a poor Epyc Workstation MB lineup?

Does anyone know whether any motherboard maker is planninga dual Epyc motherboard that features 6 pcie x16 connectivity? 128 pcie lanes, 96 of which fully usable and not a single workstation or motherboard that offers it. In contrast the Supermicro X11DPG-QT for xeons looks absolutely enticing...
  9. F

Pcie switch solution with non Xeon CPU based platforms?

I have a predicament in that I need a multi GPU compute server of which I found a number at Supermicro. I look for a 4U GPU server that can hold around 8-10 double width GPU cards which are communicating via single root complex pcie switch solutions. At the same time I also need a pretty high...
  10. F

Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 memory configuration

I like to ask a question about memory configuration for the Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 motherboard: AMD EPYC 7000 | Server Motherboard - GIGABYTE B2B Service As can be seen the layout of the PCIe slots is rather poorly designed, I like that it is equipped with plenty PCIe slots but any full length PCIe...
  11. F

Looking for a solution with 6 full x16 pcie lanes

Hi, I am in need for a solution that offers six full x16 pcie lanes. I need 4 slots for 4 GPUs (for deep learning purposes, for certain models and toolboxes I use, GPUs in an x8 slot perform significantly slower than in x16 slots), 1 slot for a 100gigabit Mellanox ConnextX-4 NIC, and 1 slot for...