Search results

1. J

5105 fast replacement for failed card; no Raid-6?

I'll admit firstly I've screwed up. Had a drive fail, didn't have a spare card to migrate to Raid 6 (new drives sitting there, waiting for a chance to shine). My bad, 100%. Raid has been recovered, went to install new card- was a M5105 that I thought was the equivalent of an LSI with Raid-6...
  2. J

DDR3 DDR4 RAM price trends thread.

Reminds me of the shipping dock losing over $15k in 64GB dimms. It was sitting under a notebook of procedures for checking in POs.
  3. J

DDR3 DDR4 RAM price trends thread.

What's the best (current, june 2020) used ram/CPU/Mobo combo for maxing out ram? I've been going in circles trying to find some combo to set up a Freenas box. Currently I have DDR3-32gb ECC back when it was expensive and a 4 core chip. I end up either finding cheap ram, but massively expensive...
  4. J

Ebay auction - 6.4TB ioDrive3/ioScale3 - at $225

I keep getting the ones from like OCWE for 390$ for 4tb. wowsers.
  5. J

32GB PC3-14900 DDR3 LRDIMM 4x @ $150 of better

Honest question here: I've been trying to follow the 'cheap' massive stick ram sizes with 'what motherboard' takes them. Except it's a royal PITA- if there's an easier way, I'd be really happy to know it. Why? Ramdisk. Because. So is the reason the ram is cheap because the mobos are expensive...
  6. J

Are these counterfeit Xeon CPUs?

Reporting it as 'counterfeit' triggers a different investigation than just 'not as advertised'. I'd go that route. Then report on twitter...
  7. J

PCIe x16 Risers/Port Bifurcation on Home Grade Equipment

For what it is worth, I bought a 10gbe switch for under 100$ :)
  8. J

Please help find this 5U chassis

There's this: https://cp-techusa.com/rugged-servers/light-industrial/5u/ But I've also seen this in transport cases I've worked with. The quality was ... not so good. Those bays though look as if they are/were the same style type we used in avionics, so there is that... Anyways based on the...
  9. J

Speedy NAS, help needed: Want 1.0GB/s

I don't recall that being an option turned on- the data should compress nicely at least at 1:1.7, given experience, but I'll check next. Gonna have to hunt those down. I don't recall seeing them (But honestly at this point I'm fried), so... Originally this was to be a repository, and I was...
  10. J

The TrueNAS box has Zils and ARC. At least I think so... I'm having trouble finding my notes. Looking at an old hardware debug log, I see- 20 core, 128GB ram. I see a 'pmem' device for 16gb. I recall a conversation about optane memory (maybe in regard to that). In discussions my understanding...
  11. J

I'd be quite happy with this- although, being greedy, I'd want more. Unifi too.
  12. J

Thank you for taking the time to read- I have a number of nodes that (I'm being told) now need to write to a NAS (that was designed for redundancy and capacity) at much faster speeds than operational. Currently a Windows box over a 40gbe Mellanox fibre card writes to the TrueNAS box (40gbe...
  13. J

Dell Perc H310- sas2flash won't see it even with Post

Well, grumble. Flash Dell Perc H310 mit LSI 9211-8i IT Mode I'd followed it but I found yet another version of megarec/megaCLI, and this one worked from dos. So there may be need to modify the big tutorial on how to do this. What a PITA. But knowledge, m'kay?
  14. J

Dell Perc H310- sas2flash won't see it even with Post

I've got an odd one, I suspect. I have a number of H310s. 2 of them are being problematic- on one, I see the Post for the Raid (photo attached) but I can't do anything with sas2flash. I've tried a bundle from p5 to p20, all nogo. Ya'll got any suggestions? My perc directory is looking rather...
  15. J

No switch 40gb?

Not having the physical connectors on hand, is it possible to plug 2 fibre qsfp+ adapters together? Similar to just swapping the send/receive connectors for my sfp+ adapters. The only fibre I found from fs.com seems to be 12 strand whereas Dell is 8 or 5.
  16. J

16 GB PC3L -10600R Server RAM ($28.50 per stick) -

As silly as it is, I'd like to know what motherboard I could populate with these sticks. I'm trying to go backwards to get ram for another build, and it's all cost driven. Don't need DDR4 to store files; need lots and cheap.
  17. J

Netgear M4300 LACP / LAGG: Requesting working configs

I've got a(nother) problem with this beautiful Netgear M4300. I'm trying to set up a LAGG between a Chelsion 40gbE breakout 4x10gb, and no matter what I do, it only sustains 10gbe speeds. UNLESS: I uncheck the ports in the LAGG configuration screen- so there's no hardware 'attached'- and then...
  18. J

10gbe SFP+ Intel/HELP!

Well, Dangit. The Vendor (IX here) says there is no 1gbe for the unit x520, and if it drops to 1gbe (For whatever reason) then I lose the LAGG. Yet you and the documentation contradicts this. That would really simplify things if that works, as I already have 2 of them on hand so I could test...
  19. J

32x40GbE $400 OBO if you are crazy

So... as a guy that's getting out of the IT field (temporarily) because of ... leadership issues (theirs, which became mine obviously), would this be a good 'investment' to screw around with? Not that I have free time. However I'm not going to be traveling a ton, and 40gbE is exotic enough that...
  20. J

10gbe SFP+ Intel/HELP!

Not Melodramatic. I need to move a lot of data but be backward compatible. Went 40gbe to 4x10gbe and LAGG, but that doesn't work under the storage array (Still resolving) and isn't compatible with Windows 10 (surprise OS change). So I'd like to use Intel X520 cards (dual SFP+)- but I find out...