Search results

1. B

SunRay thin clients on Solarish?

I am interesting in running SunRay ultrathin clients on Solarish. However, Solaris 11.4 does not support SunRay anymore. Maybe some other Solarish derivative supports SunRay, like OpenIndiana? Or, is it tricky to install SunRay onto Solaris 11.4? Anyone has a good guess which Solarish might be...
  2. B

Oracle Solaris 11.4

Yes, it seems that it the only use case if you accidentally add a disk to a zpool. Then you can un-add it.
  3. B

Need help Picking a HBA and Cables...

Thanks for the link to the cable. I have a DELL external SAS HBA card, which works fine. I have connected it to a Omnistor 3016, which is a 16-disk chassis. SAS1, though. But it works fine. https://www.servethehome.com/sgi-rackable-3u-16-bay-se3016-sas-expander-chassis-forum-deal/ The Dell...
  4. B

Need help Picking a HBA and Cables...

I have not connected my SC847 to my PC yet. I lack a 10m sff8088 cable. I dont know where to buy one. :(
  5. B

Oracle Solaris 11.4

Hmmm... Ok, it seems that device removal targets a whole vdev? So you cannot shrink an raidz2 to use one less disk? You remove the whole vdev? We will see when more information is out.
  6. B

Oracle Solaris 11.4

ZFS in Solaris 11.4 has some new interesting features. Oracle bought Greenbyte for their superior best in class deduplication. And now ZFS in 11.4 has "deduplication v2.0" - I guess it is using the superior Greenbyte dedup tech: Ex-Sun Micro CTO reveals Greenbytes 'world-beating' dedupe And...
  7. B

Dell EqualLogic PS5500E iSCSI SAN???

What do you know about the Dell EqualLogic PS5500E iSCSI SAN? Could you use it in a similar way as a Supermicro SC847 with 45 disks? I am interested in a JBOD case for use with ZFS. How would you use the Dell case?
  8. B

ES Xeon Discussion

I dont think the olny difference between them is the GHz. Earlier they cost 200$. Read here Building a 40-Thread Xeon Monster PC for Less Than the Price of a Broadwell-E Core i7
  9. B

ES Xeon Discussion

Regarding the E5-2630 v4, which stepping to get? What are the differences between SR2R7 and the SR12R? Which one is best? Can you post a link to a good deal I can buy? There are QHVK samples too. Where can I find info on the different versions? E5-2630 v4 | eBay Maybe 2630v4 is not a good deal...
  10. B

ZFS: random thoughts & questions

Oracle closed Solaris when ZFS was at version 28. This means that all open ZFS versions can read v28, and also Oracle Solaris can read v28. As long as you stay on ZFS version 28, you can use any operating system and you can not be locked in. OpenZFS has diverged and is using another version...
  11. B

What are alternatives to ZFS for deduplication?

The HP Superdome was originally an Unix server up to 64-sockets. HP switched from Itanium cpus, to the x86 cpus. And slapped on Linux ontop and reduced to 16-sockets, apparently. Why did HP not keep 64-sockets? Is that because Linux scales bad? Or "to keep the cost down"? It does not make sense...
  12. B

I dont work at oracle, and never have. I am a algorithmic trading researcher, statistic arbitrage, high frequency trading, etc. I am just a nerd, fan of the best tech. And right now, it is Solaris with zfs, dtrace, SMF, containers, crossbow, etc. For instance, take dtrace. Everybody wants it...
  13. B

Oracle Solaris is under heavy development, and has always been. After Oracle bought Solaris, Solaris is now more touted for large servers, largest servers on the planet with up to 32 or even 64 sockets with 32TB RAM. That is the reason we desktop users dont hear so much about Solaris. Unix and...
  14. B

Oracle bought Greenbyte this summer. Greenbyte has rewritten the zfs dedupe engine, it is best in class. It dedupes 5,000 fat VMs using 210 TB, down to 4 TB. It dedupes zero latency. Boots 6,000 VMs in 5 minutes. Google it. Oracle Solaris will use this dedupe engine in the next upgrade coming...
  15. B

Dell dual port 6GB SAS PCI-E HBA?

Stanza, I have posted a question in the link you showed me. I hope you have time to help me answer my question?
  16. B

Stanza, I have a problem following your instructions. I have bought the Dell 6GB HBA with 2 external sff8088 ports. I am trying to flash it with the latest firmware, but it doesnt work. The reason is that I have a supermicro X10sat motherboard, so I need to use the UEFI shell. So I boot into...
  17. B

Nexenta - stalled company?

Nexentastor v4.0 announced, will be available Q2, 2014: NexentaStor Version 4.0 Announced | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews
  18. B

How to connect Supermicro SC847 jbod to HBA?

I dont understand. Do i need to open the case and connect the sas expanders to each other, inside the case? And after that, i can connect my m1015 card to any external sff8088 port? I also have only sff8088 cables. I can use them for internal cabling,yes? I dont need sff8087 cables? EDIT: My...
  19. B

Fantastic. Just what I needed. :)
  20. B

How to connect Supermicro SC847 jbod to HBA?

A question: I have bought a refurbished SC847 jbod now. It holds four sff8088 ports at the back. Is this the E16 version I have? The E26 has six sff8088 ports? As I have understood it, the front 24 disks are served by one SAS2 expander, and the back 21 disks are served by another SAS2...