Search results

1. R

LSI 9207-8i BIOS question

I have two servers, both running Debian 12. Server 1 has a single LSI 9207-8i HBA and server 2 has 2, 9207-8i HBAs. All 3 HBAs are flashed to IT mode with the P20 firmware. What I can't figure out is how to delete the BIOS for the HBAs in server 2 (showing 07.39.02.00 for BIOS). Server 1...
  2. R

LSI 9201-16i vs LSI 9400-16i

Trying to decide between these HBAs (will be using IT mode). I can get the 9201 for $130 on eBay and the 9400 for about $200. I have 12, spinning rust SATA drives that I need to hook up. Using Debian 12, MDADM configured for RAID 5. Have a Rosewill case and will be plugging the HBA straight into...
  3. R

Urgent help and advice needed please, power supply suffered massive failure and now some of my drives are gone

THANKFULLY, this wasn't my main server but it was a secondary server that I back the main one up to and it needs fixed ASAP. It was a 4U Rosewill server (RSV-L4412U), using a Gigabyte ATX board and a Seasonic power supply. It's been humming along for years with zero problems and then today, the...
  4. R

Any benchmarks that show resilver time that compares Linux MDADM vs a hardware card?

Been using Debian on my Plex server for a while. Whenever I add drives to expand the array, disk I/O takes a nose dive as MDADM eats up everything and Plex struggles to stream a single show. I don't know enough about Linux (or MDADM) to issue commands that instruct it to yield disk I/O to...
  5. R

Quieting a 846E16-R1200B

I have a Gigabyte motherboard in this case and I installed dual SQ 900W power supplies. I replaced the 3, stock back wall fans with these: FAN-0074L4 (5K RPM) and it still has the factory, dual exhaust (loud) fans. I was thinking about using these for the exhaust fans: FAN-0104L4 (2800 RPM) but...
  6. R

Is this a reason why a dedicated RAID controller would be better vs. MDADM?

Using Debian 10.4 and I have a software MDADM RAID 6 array formatted as XFS. Zero complaints BUT, I think I read that during a weekly scrub if MDADM detects an error in a RAID 6 setup, it doesn't hold an election process and just assumes the parity drive is always correct. If that is correct...
  7. R

What can I do to fine tune my 10Gbps network?

I have two boxes (running Mint 19.2 on both) using 10Gbps Mellanox X3 cards connected via a DAC cable and iPerf reports 9.8Gbps both ways. No networking switch between these boxes.... just the DAC cable. Server A is a 24 bay, SuperMicro box. I think I have 12, 4TB drives in RAID 6 via MDADM...
  8. R

LSI 9240-8i still a great choice for simple RAID 1 in Linux?

I want to use a hardware RAID card for my boot drive in Linux. I know, I know.... MDADM. Well, I already use MDADM for RAID 6 in my media server but I want to do hardware RAID 1 for the boot drive. (Running Linux Mint 19.2) Reason I want to use hardware RAID for the boot drive is because while...
  9. R

Quiet exhaust fans for SC846E16-R1200B?

I'm going to replace the stock fans in the mid-wall with some 0074L4's but can somebody recommend some "drop in replacements" for the 2 exhaust fans that aren't as noisy as the stock ones? My i7 7700K is actively cooled and I'll be using a mix of 5900-7200RPM drives. My HBA has a small fan...