Search results

1. R

LSI 9207-8i BIOS question

I have two servers, both running Debian 12. Server 1 has a single LSI 9207-8i HBA and server 2 has 2, 9207-8i HBAs. All 3 HBAs are flashed to IT mode with the P20 firmware. What I can't figure out is how to delete the BIOS for the HBAs in server 2 (showing 07.39.02.00 for BIOS). Server 1...
  2. R

LSI 9201-16i vs LSI 9400-16i

Yes, it will be on a UPS and in a climate controlled location (25C/77F). I'm also going to install a PiKVM on it.
  3. R

Thanks for the list! I'm AOK with using fake cards and I think you're right......for home use, I think they're AOK. I've been using fake LSI cards for quite some time and I have no complaints. I thought about using an expander but I want to eliminate as many potential points of failure as I...
  4. R

I looked at that card before I narrowed down my choices and decided to skip it for 2 reasons. 1. The system it's going into doesn't have a free power adapter that might be needed if my board can't supply enough power to the PCIx slot it will be doing into. 2. I heard it gets rather toasty...
  5. R

Trying to decide between these HBAs (will be using IT mode). I can get the 9201 for $130 on eBay and the 9400 for about $200. I have 12, spinning rust SATA drives that I need to hook up. Using Debian 12, MDADM configured for RAID 5. Have a Rosewill case and will be plugging the HBA straight into...
  6. R

Urgent help and advice needed please, power supply suffered massive failure and now some of my drives are gone

Got the 826 chassis but it has 3 fans behind the back plane and each one has a 4 pin connector. The ATX board I'm installing in there only has one, 4 pin connector free. I think my back plane is a SAS826A and I noticed it has 3, 4 pin connectors labeled as: I2C across the back. Will the fans...
  7. R

Urgent help and advice needed please, power supply suffered massive failure and now some of my drives are gone

For anyone keeping score at home....... Silly me, I thought the Rosewill had one, long, side-to-side back plane but nope.... each cage has its' own, self-contained back plane. I discovered this as I was taking it apart to grab some pictures. I ended going with option 2 and ordered a CSE 826 12x...
  8. R

Thanks for the reply! I could maybe do that.... each cage holds 4 drives and there's 3 cages. The only thing that worries me is..... I'd be turning the backup server on and off a few times and I'm worried that the already damaged back plane might catch on fire as a result. Or is the damage done...
  9. R

THANKFULLY, this wasn't my main server but it was a secondary server that I back the main one up to and it needs fixed ASAP. It was a 4U Rosewill server (RSV-L4412U), using a Gigabyte ATX board and a Seasonic power supply. It's been humming along for years with zero problems and then today, the...
  10. R

Any benchmarks that show resilver time that compares Linux MDADM vs a hardware card?

Snap. Sure, I've been using Linux on my server for a few years but I still consider myself a newbie with it. :) I'll check that out, thanks! No hypervisor here. Running Debian 11 on bare metal. In the years I've been using mdadm (and searching everywhere for ways to try and tame disk I/O) I...
  11. R

Any benchmarks that show resilver time that compares Linux MDADM vs a hardware card?

Yes, that's a big problem I have with ZFS..... not being able to add 1 or 2 drives to expand my array at a time. Last I heard. this feature was being worked on. Yes it is.... it's slow but stable and is pretty much bulletproof. I really need to figure out how to make it yield I/O when...
  12. R

Been using Debian on my Plex server for a while. Whenever I add drives to expand the array, disk I/O takes a nose dive as MDADM eats up everything and Plex struggles to stream a single show. I don't know enough about Linux (or MDADM) to issue commands that instruct it to yield disk I/O to...
  13. R

Quieting a 846E16-R1200B

I have a Gigabyte motherboard in this case and I installed dual SQ 900W power supplies. I replaced the 3, stock back wall fans with these: FAN-0074L4 (5K RPM) and it still has the factory, dual exhaust (loud) fans. I was thinking about using these for the exhaust fans: FAN-0104L4 (2800 RPM) but...
  14. R

Is this a reason why a dedicated RAID controller would be better vs. MDADM?

See my other reply to Effrafax for a better breakdown. I understand all of what you're saying but I'm just wondering how smart mdadm is (when compared to a hardware RAID card) when it comes to determining if the data stripe is corrupt or the parity stripe when it encounters a mismatch during a...
  15. R

It was always my understanding that if MDADM detects a mismatch while doing its' monthly scrub (while using RAID6), it will assume the data stripe is ALWAYS correct and recalculate the parity stripes to match. But what if the data stripe is wrong? If MDADM held an election process during scrubs...
  16. R

Using Debian 10.4 and I have a software MDADM RAID 6 array formatted as XFS. Zero complaints BUT, I think I read that during a weekly scrub if MDADM detects an error in a RAID 6 setup, it doesn't hold an election process and just assumes the parity drive is always correct. If that is correct...
  17. R

What can I do to fine tune my 10Gbps network?

Wanted to revive this thread with an update. I installed some Intel X520 cards and used an Intel branded DAC to hook my servers together and.................................................. no change. I can send files one way at 500MB/s but sending the same file back.... 250'ish MB/s...
  18. R

All the tuning I did was non-persistent, a reboot and I'm back to stock settings. I'm not using a network switch, just a Mellanox DAC cable directly connecting the 2 systems. I ordered some Intel X520 cards as I'm thinking it's something with Mellanox cards and Linux Mint? (grasping at straws)...
  19. R

Saw lots and lots of these errors on the sending and receiving computers with Wireshark. Could this be the cause, all the retransmission's? Reassembly error, protocol TCP: New fragment overlaps old data (retransmission?) Severity level: Error Group Malformed
  20. R

Whoops, corrected. Yes, I meant a BIG 'B'. Still Googling around to try and see if I can crack this last part of the puzzle (asymmetrical speed). Since a fresh install of Mint fixed 1/2 my problem..... when Mint 19.3 drops (few weeks), I'm going to put a fresh copy on both servers and hopefully...