Search results

1. Nizmo

STH lanyards?

CustomInk does good stuff! I'm in as well :)
  2. Nizmo

Virtual Machine Memory Warning

With larger amounts of ram Dynamic is best. You could assign a min. 4GB and a Max of 6GB to each VM.
  3. Nizmo

Anyone got a 4k transcoding, FreeNAS machine? (ITX, IPMI, ECC)

Im using a E5-2699 v4 VM with 8 cores as well as a GTX 1080 not Direct Allocated (RemoteFX) technically on a Server 2016 Host. Able to transcode multiple 4k/1080i/720p streams. I rip all media (DVD, Blu Ray, YouTube, etc.) and use a DC S3510 Raid6 array for the media. In my Plex server settings...
  4. Nizmo

SBE-710E-R48 Blade w/ 8 Nodes B7DW3 $200+

That thing takes DDR2! Blast from the past huh Same Item with full price! Supermicro Superblade Enclosure SBE-710E-R48 Blade w/ 8 Nodes B7DW3 - CPU/RAM/HD 672042048571 | eBay
  5. Nizmo

Striped SSDs for pfSense?

In one example, data (WAN) comes in, and passes through PfSense to internal VM(s) on LAN writing to disk. Performance is key so NVMe is utilized.
  6. Nizmo

Sure, SSD is improvement over HDD/SAS. The traffic is absolutely going to disk. (1) of the culprits are public speedtest server. WAN to LAN, no way around it. I can limit (who) gets to speedtest but... thats another thread :) NVMe on 10Gb+ yield good results. A single SFP+ or bonding SFP+...
  7. Nizmo

Specifically, Raid 6 DC S3510 Server 2016 Host, DC P3608 VM Storage. Nothing specifically set up for cache on PfSense (no squid, etc.) other than Intel built-in features of the DC drives (which need run RSTe software to work). NVMe is the way to go if I had to nail it to a single sentence.
  8. Nizmo

Hardware pron thread

Thought it was cool :)
  9. Nizmo

In my case, the P3608's are substantially faster than non-PCIe disk's (all of them) so I use them for PfSense. Using other drives (SATA/SAS) would slow things down considerably. The cache is the DC P3608's.
  10. Nizmo

Sory was for the OP, If I used my DC S3510 SSD'sthat traffic would eat the drives in short time. Versus the DC P3608's I use which have higher resiliency before failure. Personally I wouldn't use consumer drives for PfSense.
  11. Nizmo

My PfSense see's about 10TB per week of Incoming and Outgoing Traffic, be aware of your bandwidth usage and drive physical longevity.
  12. Nizmo

pfSense RAM and CPU

I use 8GB DDR4 and 8 Cores (E5-2699 V4) on a Virtual Machine for PfSense for 10Gb connections bonded to 20Gb. I see up to 75% CPU loads and 30-50% mem loads. Although I am using IDS (Snort, VPN, Multi-WAN)
  13. Nizmo

Hyper v and .vhd backup question

Windows Server 2016 has built in Backup components.
  14. Nizmo

FS: Xeon E5-4648 v3 (12C/24T, 2.2Ghz, 30MB) Retail

Have (x2) Intel E5-4648 12 Core - 24 Thread CPU's. Very lightly used, have warranty. These are Retail Chips. No Coolers/Heatsinks provided. Asking $500 each. More Info: Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-4648 v3 (30M Cache, 1.70 GHz) Product Specifications These Chips work in all boards I have...
  15. Nizmo

Need a solution to stop a fan completely, programmatically

Prob not going support any new hardware. Last build date was 21 feb 2015.
  16. Nizmo

Potential Spam

Can do questions upon registration.
  17. Nizmo

Gigabyte R280-G20 2U (2x1600w, GPU Server, LGA-2011v3) w/Rails!

Used, Pulled from Working environment. Tested with E5-2699V3 x2 E5-4648v3 x2 24 Slots DDR4, 10Gb SFP+ Add-On Mezzanine Intel 82599, Ball Bearing Sliding Rails, 3 GPU Capable, 24 Bay SAS3 w/ LSI 9211 HBA. Installed (8x) 1.2Amp San Ace Fans, will supply the original 3.4amp...
  18. Nizmo

Poor network speed on WS2016

Generally speaking the speed of SMB share's over a network is disk dependent more than your NIC's. Depending on the disk configuration, you would see slow copy speeds. Copy paste I assume, I think cut/paste is better for a quick speed idea imo.
  19. Nizmo

Help me run the Platinum 8180 Processor ES

I bet neither manufacturer has updated microcode to include 8180 Have they released an update since the meltdown/spectre patches from Intel?