Search results

1. D

Supermicro 216 solid red lights on all 24 bays

I recently acquired an used Supermicro 216, with the backplane BON-SAS-216A. Upon powering the unit, the front 24 lights remain solid red (no flashes). Blue activity light blinks when there is activity but the red lights are bothering me. I thought maybe upgrading the firmware might help but I...
  2. D

Processor/RAM limitations on 40Gbe?

I am wondering if there is a minimum requirement to get up to 40 Gbe networking? I noticed something being very slow with my s2d setup and I was testing all sorts of things. I was able to confirm RDMA is working but when I was testing my network iperf, it seems like it would not go past 8 Gbe...
  3. D

Has anyone got NVMe to work with SuperMicro X9 boards?

I am trying to put some journal drives in my existing systems and they are all SuperMicro boards, X9 to be exact. I see the AOCs support list only support X10 and X11. Wondering if anyone tried it with X9 and got it to work? Thanks. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. D

Problems booting Kernel >4.10, stuck at boot screen

I am running into a problem on my intel 4 node server. The server board is S2600JF all 4 nodes in the chassis have the latest available firmwares on the intel site. All boards are equipped with 32GB ram and 2xE5-2630L. How I noticed the issue was after I updated the Proxmox nodes to 5.1, none...
  5. D

Supermicro SC836 corrupting PSUs?

I have a SC836 that has been acting up recently. For the past 6 months, I've already swapped 2 PSUs on the unit. Now, I do not recall whether they were the same slot or not but is it possible that the backplane for the PSU corrupt PSU? The troubled PSU would have an orange light on while...
  6. D

Event ID 11 LSI_SAS3i error in Event Viewer

Hi, I have a few systems which had been upgraded to 3xIBM M1215 (Flashed to LSI 9300-8i P14 in IT mode) each. There is this error logging every 5 minutes every other day for 20-60 minutes. All systems running Windows 2016. What is strange is, it is not a constant error which logs non stop. I...
  7. D

Configuring PFC/RDMA on Gnodal switch

I am trying to get the RDMA working with my Mellanox ConnectX-3 VPI. I have Windows 2016 installed with the latest firmware and driver available installed. I have priority QoS configured on the OS. I have read numerous sites and on Mellanox community as well that configuring the switch is...
  8. D

Are Juniper EX3300 loud?

I am eyeing on EX3300-24/48P and this is going into a confined office. No separate closet or server room so I am wondering if anyone can shine some light in the noise of the switch? Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. D

Gnodal Switch Status Not Connected

Hi there, I recently purchased a Gnodal GS0018 and I was fairly excited to set it up. However, I was trying to utilize my old QSFP cables I've used in my IB setup. I have Mellanox ConnectX-3 VPI adapters. However, Gnodal must not like the cable because none of the adapters show connected. The...
  10. D

Changing ConnectX-3 from IB to ETH in Hyper-V

I am pulling my hair out on this one. I've spent nearly 6 hours trying to find out how to change my built in ConnectX-3 on my Supermicro mobo from IB to ETH. I am not running Windows... just the Hyper-V 2016 core. I can't access Device Manager from Server Manager because it is giving me some...
  11. D

Recommendation for 48 port POE and non-POE switch

Hi, I am looking to upgrade my switches and I am wondering what is the most economical but not too much technological behind switches. For non POE I have Cisco 2690G-24 ports. I would like to increase the port density because I am running too many 24 port switches. For POE I have Cisco 3750-48...
  12. D

EEATX vs EATX

I have a SuperMicro SC216 case in the way and I am sourcing a motherboard for it. One of my local guy has a SuperMicro board that is listed as EEATX (enhanced extended atx) form. But the chassis says only EATX boards are welcomed. Will the EEATX board fit given both case and motherboard are...
  13. D

Most economical chassis for 24 SSDs

I am wondering if somebody can recommend a chassis for SSD storage nodes. I am trying to build a 2 node cluster to store my VMs. I already have the SSDs purchased and I am looking for an economical chassis to put them in without breaking the bank. I do have spare infiniband cards laying around...
  14. D

Supermicro IPMIView not working properly in Win 10?

I have a rather strange problem going on here. This only happened to me when I upgraded my PC from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I made sure I have the latest Java version as well we the IPMIView as of today but still experiencing this problem: When I open up KVM Console, sometimes it shows me...
  15. D

Windows 2012 R2 Unidentified Network

I've been troubleshooting for a day now and I can't get this working. This machine is a physical machine (not a VM host) so I have Windows 2012 R2 installed. The machine joined domain and it was all working great until a restart. The network became unidentified again. I tried pulling out the...
  16. D

Recommend a quiet IB switch

I currently have a Voltaire 4036 and it's screaming... Does anyone else run QDR or FDR setup that has a more tolerable switch? I would like a FDR switch since most gear I have are FDR already. Thanks.
  17. D

Enclosure For Shared Storage Suggestion

Hi, I've been looking around to get 2 storage systems host Hyper-V VMs. I've been browsing Supermicro chassis but I am not exactly sure what should I be looking for. The 2 nodes will act as a HA/Failover. What kind of features should I be looking for on the backplane? I will be installing SSDs...
  18. D

Has anyone had problems with Dell branded Intel S3700?

I have an opportunity to purchase 2 Dell branded Intel S3700's. On the drive, there is no Dell logo but there is a DP/N: XXXXXX on it which from googling it is a Dell's S3700. I've read on here that people had problem reading SMART data from the HP version of the drive. Has anyone experience...
  19. D

WD RE 4TB for $139.00

Western Digital WD4001FYYG 4 TB Enterprise re SAS Server Hard Drive in Warranty | eBay For anyone who is looking for this drive, here it is again.
  20. D

Server case caught on fire... Can parts be reused?

First time has this ever happened to me... I got home and found out my server wasn't accessible which was strange to me. Went down to the basement to check and noticed a strange smell. I tried to press power button but nothing happened. Lights were still working. Opened up the case to...