Search results

1. I

ESXi 7.0 and Broadcom NetXtreme 5761

Funny thing is it’ll be connecting to a Powerline ‘backbone’ that runs at 120-160Mbps LOL.
  2. I

Digging around in my scrap heap I did find an Intel server NIC (p/n EXPI9400PT, chipset 82572GI) that I hoped would work, but I’m having trouble finding it on the VMWare HCL. Am I out of luck with that one too?
  3. I

This device appears to no longer be supported in ESXi 7.0u2, but was supported as recently as 6.7. Is there any way to enable support for this NIC? I can probably get a new NIC, but would rather not wait a week for it to arrive by slow boat nor do I want to lose one of my PCIe slots. In the...
  4. I

ESXi 7.0 compatible RAID card that can connect to R710 backplane

Since ESXi doesn't support software RAID, I was wanting to put in a hardware RAID solution. I could do something more convoluted, like set up ESXi on the internal SATA port and then use PCIe passthrough for the controller to something like FreeNAS. But from what I gather virtualizing FreeNAS is...
  5. I

ESXi 7.0 compatible RAID card that can connect to R710 backplane

I currently have a Dell PowerEdge R710 that I am trying to install ESXi 7.0 on to (currently 6.7u1 is loaded.) I worked around the legacy Westmere CPUs, but am still running into a compatibility issue with the PERC 6/I RAID module in the R710. It simply is not supported due to vmklinux drivers...
  6. I

ESXi 6.5U1 w/ Ryzen - web GUI crashes & weirdness

I have a Ryzen 7 system with ESXi 6.5U1 installed. The VMs for the most part seem to work well. The interface, however, is a different story. It will throw unhandled exceptions, become unresponsive, or even deny logins when the correct password is provided. A complete reboot of the server will...
  7. I

Small pfSense compatible box w/ wifi

Thanks for explaining. I'm trying to cover a 3 bedroom single story wooden house, so it's not that complex an environment. Is the model you linked PoE only? Would I need a 3rd NIC in the pfSense box, or could I hook it up to a switch? Or, how about flashing a consumer router with...
  8. I

I'm new to this, so I'm not disputing you, but why do you feel that way? Wouldn't having all that functionality in one box be more efficient? If that's not a good idea, what combination of hardware would you recommend?
  9. I

As an experiment, I set up a pfSense VM in ESXi 6.5 to connect an isolated virtual network to my server's NIC. It worked very well for that purpose, and I eventually started using it as an OpenVPN endpoint. Now I'd like to ditch my Linksys E4200 for a small, dedicated pfSense box that can act as...
  10. I

need help with ESXi 6.5 PCI passthrough (adaptec raid card)

Looks like your board is having problems assigning an MSI interrupt. You might try disabling MSI for the adaptec raid card (not sure which driver is apropos). VMware Knowledge Base