Search results

1. P

TrueNAS SMB Share - files show a different group under Ubuntu (root) vs (myusername) under Windows and TrueNAS

I have setup a SMB share (and a NFS share too) in Truenas 12.0-U8. Shout-out to David McKone's detailed guide(s for both) on youtube: The user name and primary group on both TrueNAS and my Ubuntu Desktop are the same: myusername:myusername. When I setup the ACL for the dataset I applied the...
  2. P

Got Arista 7050QX-32 (non S) - ...hmmm..., now what? Some questions, comments, issues....

So I got a 7050QX-32 (non S), used, and want to test it before the return window closes. Below is a list of the various issues, comments, questions that I have. The two main ones are some stability problems - reboots - and (perhaps related) out of storage space. I don't have experience with CLI...
  3. P

Can I run Arista 7050QX-32 without the unit's fans? (with home-made cooling)

Would Arista 7050QX-32 boot/run without any of the factory fans connected? I plan to use only a few ports with DACs for a homelab setup. It should consume approx. 100W-120W with one PSU - link. I would put 4x 14mm or bigger fans with the cover off to dissipate the heat, while being much quieter...
  4. P

Power Supply recommendation for Arista 7050qx-32 (non-S)?

Couldn't afford the $600-$800+ for a complete 7050qx-32 so I bought a "water damage" unit that came without any power supply or fans. Is there a budget alternative for the power supply? I see that the S-version ( 500W - PWR-500AC-F ) power supply is cheaper than the non-S ( 460W - PWR-460AC-F...
  5. P

Second (multiple) iSCSI connection from the same ESXi host to the same FreeNAS, problem.

Wasted several hours trying to establish a second iSCSI connection from the same ESXi host to a new ZVOL (zvol2) hosted by the same FreeNAS server for my homelab. The Authentication method is Mutual CHAP which works fine for the first ZVOL (zvol1). On Freenas I did: - create zvol2 - Portals...
  6. P

8-controller 8-port USB 3.0 5Gbps Type-C Single PCIe x8 Slot Renesas uPD720202 card- U3X8-PCIE8XE104

Found this PCIe 2.0 x8 card: IOI Technology Corp. model - U3X8-PCIE8XE104 Octad Channel 8-port USB 3.0 to PCI Express x8 Gen 2 Host Card | U3X8-PCIE8XE104 but it is not sold directly from the manufacturer or anywhere on the interwebs. (I have contacted them before about another product and...
  7. P

PCIe x16 bifurcation to x4x4x4x4 then mixing Gen2 and Gen3 cards - will all be Gen2 speed?

Does anyone know if the bifurcation specification requires that all the bifurcated channels must have independent timing? That is, if I bifurcate a x16 Gen 3.0 slot into x4x4x4x4 and then plug three Gen3 and one Gen2 cards, will all four cards operate at Gen2 speeds? Thanks!
  8. P

Audio Problem - nVidia 8400GS Passthrough - Windows 7 - ESXi 6.7.0 U1

Finally was able to achieve a stable passthrough with an old nVidia 8400GS Windows 7 Supermicro X11DPG-QT However, there are no audio playback devices showing. I have: Device Manager->Sound, video....->NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) Device Manager->System devices->High...
  9. P

Need advice setting up seven WDBFJK0080HBK-NESN (WD80EZZX)(HGST) drives for 40TB RAID?

These came out in 2016. I have taken them out and inside is a WD80EZZX drive, which in fact is a HGST drive. Here are links for them on newegg.com and amazon.com I have 7 of them - never used - and want to put them in a 40TB RAID-6 type of setup using some cheap-ish RAID card (limited budget)...
  10. P

USB peripheral "networking" (sharing switch / matrix) for VMs - ideally IP controlled

--- needs to be at least USB 3.0 (USB 3.1 Gen 1) speeds --- If I passthrough individual USB controllers to a bunch of VMs, how can I easily switch USB devices from VM to VM on the fly? (hardware only - not interested in solutions where I have to install software/drivers on each guest VM a la...
  11. P

ESXi - mobo USB passthrough not working - SuperMicro X11DPG-QT

Hi, I have tried both ESXi 6.7 and 6.7U1. No USB controllers show up under Host>Manage>Hardware>PCI Devices>Passthrough Capable. What shows are: 2x NICs 2x NVMes 2x GPUs - (onboard and Radeon RX480) 1x Intel(R) Audio Device Maybe I need to install some Intel software in the ESXi hypervisor...
  12. P

Optane 900P test / burn in / burning in - what do you use?

Just go my first Optane - 900P 280GB (U.2-->M.2 cable) for ZIL/SLOG for my first ZFS attempt. I will partition the drive for two separate SLOGs a few GB each and will use the rest of the drive for something else. Before I do that I want to somehow test/burn in the drive. The system is based on...