Search results

1. Z

FreeNAS fully operational ?

Hello Everybody, I have succesfully installed my FreeNAS Server and now I just want to be sure if it is fully operational and functions… I first wanted to check if ECC is really working so I did DmiDecode in the FreeNAS terminal. It showed me for my RAM that there is a total Bandwidth of 72 and...
  2. Z

FreeNAS Server configuration

Hello everybody, I have successfully built my own NAS server and installed freenas on it. But now I have some questions I’d like to be answered before I configure my server. I’ve read about HDD standby now I’d like to know if my HDDs go into standby, can freenas or zfs still check if bits...
  3. Z

Installation Issue of FreeNAS (GPU)

Hello Everybody, I just bought all my compnents for my FreeNAS DIY-Server and the last item should arrive tomorrow. But now i tried to learn how to install my OS on the device. Neither my CPU nor my Motherboard has a GPU so my question is, does the System install itself on another USB Stick...
  4. Z

RAM and CPU Question

Hey everbody, I‘ve come into the next round of Planing my personal NAS. As i Mentioned in previous threads i want to use FreeNAS with ZFS (RAID-Z2) for the storage of my movies and music and photos. Maybe i want to stream mkv files (movies) - but only for myself (which means that there a few...
  5. Z

Watercooling NAS ?

Hello people, As I read in some forums, some consider a so called "Bitumenbox" (Sorry, I came from Germany so I don't know if this term is also known in English. And 'cause I want to use HDDs for my DIY-NAS I consider to buy or built such boxes but I ave a few questions about this (thought...
  6. Z

Noise and heat Reduction

Hey, Like I mentioned in another Threat I want my NAS to be as quiet as possible (and of course cool as well). I already have a be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 550W PSU and now I need some advices for cooling fans and case - both have to be cool and quiet. Any ideas ?
  7. Z

HDD Noise/heat

Hello, My future NAS has to be in the living room of my home and so it has to be silent. I'm considering two different HDDs for Storage - WD Red or IronWolf (both 8 TB). The two main points while choosing the HDD is how much heat will be produced and how loud/quite the HDDs are. I think there...
  8. Z

Cache for L2ARC, SIL and/or SLOG ?

Hello folks, I want to build a ZFS-Server-NAS with Raid-Z2 and want to stream movies (1:1 Copies of Blu Rays) to Nvidia Shield using Plex / Kodi. Do I need some Cache for L2ARc, SIL and/or SLOG ? I have about 32Gigs of ECC RAM for ZFS. And considering the news that MakeMKV now supports HEVC...